Hi all, thinking of buying an MQ

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Hi all, thinking of buying an MQ

Postby 91GQST on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:25 am

Hi all
Recently i have spent quite a bit of time reading through the great info on the forum trying to learn as mush as possible about the new MQ Triton as I am thinking of getting rid of my trusty old GQ Patrol wagon that I have owned for the last 19 years and changing to a Triton dual cab. In fact I have arranged to test drive a Demo GLX+ this afternoon in both auto and Manual so will have a better idea then if they are what i want. I test drove a demo MN back in 2015 and quite liked it but circumstances changed and I decided not to buy at that time. Also I am still wondering if a late model low K used MN would be a good way to go as from what I have read I can't help but wonder which one is the better model with regard to reliability.

Anyway will post up my thoughts later today after the test drive.

cheers Troy :)
91GQST

Re: Hi all, thinking of buying an MQ

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:07 am

Being a Patrol owner you should know all about hand grenades, even if yours isn't. Treat the MN as one though, and get an MQ. Better vehicle in every respect.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby 91GQST on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:19 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Being a Patrol owner you should know all about hand grenades, even if yours isn't. Treat the MN as one though, and get an MQ. Better vehicle in every respect.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the Welcome and yes having done a lot of research over the years I am quite familiar with the hand grenades. Not a problem with mine though she is a 26 year old 4.2 petrol gas and is still young at heart with only 260 thou on the clock which is why I have been reluctant to get rid of it.

Obviously i assume you have an MQ and if so what sort of K's has it done and has there been any issues?

Cheers Troy
91GQST

Postby 91GQST on Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Well test drive done and dusted, took the auto out first and was really impressed right from the start whereas the manual just didn't do it for me and that was a big surprise because I have always preferred manuals but with the 6 speed and short span between each gear change it just seemed to keep you really busy and i think I am starting to get lazy as i get older. That said I still love to drive the old manual Patrol but the spread between each gear change is a lot longer.
Anyway obviously it is hard to compare the Triton and the Patrol but what was interesting was that I thought the Auto Triton was much quieter, smoother and seemed to have more getup and go than the 2016 Dmax 4x4 auto that I drive everyday for work so that was really interesting as the DMax would have to be one of its closest competitors.
So first impressions
Likes- AUTO Quiet,smooth,responsive(for what it is),Styling,Storage Compartments, rear leg room, climate control
Dislikes - driver Left leg room, Upper Vision(i am tall and the top of the window seems low), Reverse camera screen hard to see in sunny conditions, seat hugs a bit tight for a big bloke, Manual Clutch sudden and jerky compared to other brands I have driven.
Will I buy one and if so which one? Not sure yet. Really liked the auto to drive but do not like the plough that hangs off the rear diff or the extra cost of it. Also with the manual I like the idea of better fuel economy but wonder about the problems that some of them have had. Then there is the added cost of sorting out all the extra's I need to get it to where I want it.
So at this stage i am definitely keen but think I still need to do some more research. ;)
91GQST

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:03 pm

:lol: Nope. I had an ML and when it came time to change over I went to Pajero. I could see the writing on the wall, even back in 2013.

But, when the time comes again, the MQ will be on my list.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:53 am

Chris, how have the CV joints gone in the rear axle on the Paj? Live axles big sell is for durability wrt towing etc.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 91GQST on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Well I am no longer Thinking about buying one as i will be picking up a brand new GLX+ next week. Have already started buying some accessories so might start a build thread on it once I get it home.
91GQST

Return to Introductions