Back in a 4x4 after a decade away.

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Back in a 4x4 after a decade away.

Postby CaptainBanana on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Hey all,

I'm back in a 4x4 after having given it away some 9 or 10 years ago due to sinking far too much money into the hobby. Back then I was in my late 20s with a GQ on 37s, RB30 turbo on straight gas with 2inch spring + 2inch body lift and a substantial guard chop. I was abusive to the thing and gave it tonnes of stick even on road and just kept breaking gearboxes, clutches and tyres. I blew a diff too but that was drag racing and the rest of it held up quite well but it as just too expensive to drive like that.

Last year I was car shopping and looked at the MQ triton but at the last moment decided to steer clear due to some concerns over prior models reliability and went ahead and bought a Mazda 6 GT with the twin turbo diesel which I've used to tour around eastern Australia for the past 10 months pulling not one but two caravans. Upon returning to Melbourne a couple months ago I decided it was time to cut my losses and get a Ute as the Mazda for all its positives was just too restrictive for touring and before you know it I've got a new MQ exceed in the driveway.

I fitted KO2 all terrains on the way home from the dealer and then immediately got the EGR trade top hard lid, TJM steps (bent the factory ones on the 3rd day of ownership), roof rack and a few smaller items ordered and fitted as they arrived. Currently I'm gearing up to do suspension as the fronts already not coping and then the bullbar and winch will go on at the same time. I've already done an on board compressor and fitting up an air tank shortly, uhf gear about to go on and well you know how these things go.

I've had it out a few times so far just getting a feel for it and whilst it's not much chop on my old GQ it's still capable with correct line choices and awfully comfortable and easy with the auto and 31 inch tyres. The cars not perfect but my dislikes are really limited and mostly fidly stuff like cruise control engagement and horrible reverse camera. Completely stock with only the tyres it was using 10 litres per hundred and now with the bits bolted in that's up to 11.5l/100km with 50kg of gear permanently on board which is great for a large car but it's an adjustment as my Maxda did 12l/100km with a caravan - a total weight of 3.2 tonne... My wallets already worn out.

Anyway for those who read it all it's good to be here, keen to get to know some of you and get some wheeling done although these days I'm a bit older and slower and tend to tread lightly.
CaptainBanana

Re: Back in a 4x4 after a decade away.

Postby CaptainBanana on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:10 pm

Some pics of the bits so far:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/R2fO3xgvuegVDte23

Next is suspension because the fronts already not coping, bullbar and winch after that and steel wheels this week I think I'm just hoping to get rid of that exceed wheels right now.
CaptainBanana

Postby Maxiy on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:18 am

Welcome

Good to see you are getting straight into it and putting some goodies on.

Glad to hear you are doing the suspension soon, the stock stuff is rubbish. I wish i had done mine earlier.

My MN is sitting at 2.34 tonnes unloaded (steel bullbar, winch, lights, underbody protection, steel sliders, steel rims, steel 2.5m long rood rack, batwing awning, dual battery and 60l fridge) and the stock suspension is suffering :shock: :oops:

I will hopefully get some suspension into it before Easter next year.

Ultimate suspension is worth looking at when you are in the market.
Maxiy

Postby CaptainBanana on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Hey maxly, the mq front is pure rubbish add 50kg of roof rack and 33kg of sidesteps most of which is closer to rear axle anyway and it has dropped it 20mm already. I looked at dobinsons mrr but the guy at head office said they foul on stock control arms (yet people have them), ridepro who don't do a rox shock for these, bilstein who are my usual go to but many reports of failures offroad, efs who I couldn't get to a tech at head office and only conflicting info from resellers and ultimate as many recommend here but cost was considerably more and not having used their products myself I wasn't sure it was justified and they didn't bother to email the quote as promised so I skipped them too.

I walked into my local pedders where I still have trade pricing and 18 years dealing with the same bloke from my days as a mechanic and pieced together their large bore track Ryder's with the larger diameter coil and should have them tomorrow. I've got matching rear shocks in comfort valving but am yet to decide what to do with the rear springs although I need to decide by morning. I know pedders get bagged out on the forums and don't have a prestigious name in the 4x4 community but my GQ ran them for 100,000 kays and with 37 inch tyres never to fail me so I took a chance again, not to mention many many units I'd fitted to road cars. I also get no nonsense warranty from my local guy and worst case if I break one out bush I'll get a replacement easy enough. Fingers crossed it all comes together nicely.
CaptainBanana

Postby Duck on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Good job & can't ngrats on the new ride. Good fun kitting out the utes, expensive but fun.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby CaptainBanana on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Duck wrote:Good job & can't ngrats on the new ride. Good fun kitting out the utes, expensive but fun.

Cars are expensive full stop but I'm excited to have something to play with as I'd sold all my old toys.

I'm doing the front lift this arvo and the rear is now done so it's coming along.
CaptainBanana

Return to Introductions