New owner

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

New owner

Postby NewFun356 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:23 pm

Hello all.
How can i make my spare wheel secure from theft. Is there some locking device i can buy?.
New owner (sorry if i ask stupid questions)
NewFun356

Re: New owner

Postby Eelesy on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:53 pm

Padlock and chain? i never really worried about the spare. i have locking nuts on the rest of the mags though
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Naff on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:59 pm

Times are getting tough when spare wheels are being flogged. Then again - in Blacktown, wheels on the car get flogged all the time :lol:
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:58 pm

mate i dont know of anything aftermarket you can buy except for maybe a lock similar to a bike lock and run it through your spare back to a chassis component. i would go a cable type one and make sure it has a plastic sleeve to stop rattling. and wrap the lock in a bag otherwise it will be so full of mud and crap it wont unlock. :(

in many cases the thieves are opportunistic and it is hard to get the wheel off without winding it down which you need the long winder for, or they have to cut the chain. again if they want it they will get it. bastards stole my stainless shackles i had on the back to extend my trailer chain with. :evil:

could be worse - the old hilux's (not sure about new) used to use a cable system and not chain which suffered 'failures'. my brother lost a brand new BFG all terrain and rim without even knowing it, just a broken cable with a frayed end hanging! i hope it didn't fall off when someone was behind him. he had no idea. :o
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny23 on Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:22 pm

New Hilux's have chains... :shock:

I'd be tempted to simply wrap a bike lock (steel cable type and padlock) around the wheel and towbar / cross member...

or just have a steelie as the replacement...
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby borngeek on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:43 am

There is a genuine Mitsi accessory called "spare wheel lock" on brochure (no part number sorry) - or idea how much but assume expensive given i priced the utility box on the brochure at $660.... no i didnt buy it!

In the end locks etc only stop honest people. :evil:

BG

PS> Welcome!! (im new here too :mrgreen: )
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NewFun356 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:50 am

Thanks for your time people i haven't done this chat room/blog thing before.
I'm a Refrigeration & Air con engineer and just started my own business. I've been driving company vans for twenty years and can't bring myself to drive another. I don't own a car and can't afford to run both so went down the truck route. Read reviews on various pick ups. Tested nissan,toyota & mitsubishi. All the reviews stated that the mitsi was the best suited for the uk. Also the fact that it's the best looking truck out there bought an x demo with 4700 miles on the clock. The truck had xtras. Tow bar,reverse parking sensors,chrome checker plate deck lid & a rubber type coating bedliner(really hard wearing).
I love it and i'm getting between 450 - 480 miles out of a tank of deisel. I don't rush around and i don't drive like an old woman either.When i hit the motor way get to 70mph and switch to cruise control and point in the right direction. I will have to get a canopy/box back to make my day to day use of the truck easier to work from.

Well thanks for taking time out to read this drivel.

Take care all drive safe.
New owner (sorry if i ask stupid questions)
NewFun356

Return to Introductions