Low range 2 wheel drive

Anything Triton related

Low range 2 wheel drive

Postby Pauly_t on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:06 pm

I saw this post on ExplorOZ regarding 2 wheel drive low range. Something I am interested in when backing the camping trailer up the driveway.

"I had this problem with my Mitsi Challenger, it has a too high ratio first gear to take off on a hill while towing a near max towing capacity trailer.
I fixed that by disabling the front free wheel hub lockers - they are actually in the diff housing and are vacuum operated.
A switch in the cabin lets me disconnect the vacuum relays so I can engage low range but only have drive to the rear wheels. I can tow then in low range on bitumen until the road flattens enough to use high range 2WD or 4WD."

Any opinions. Whether it possible on the tritons, whether this individual has got it right, whether it has already be done, so on and so on.

Paul
Pauly_t

Re: Low range 2 wwheel drive

Postby Notso on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Yep, same mechanism, what model triton have you got? If it has super select, I think you should be able to use low range without the centre diff locked.
Notso

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:13 pm

It has already been done. There is a thread on how to do it on an ML model in the platinum lounge.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Pauly_t on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:30 pm

I've have the last model VR ML Triton Auto 3.2 Diesel, 2009 model, that had the super select,as I understand it (2h,4h, 4hlc, 4llc).

So before I join the Platinum Lounge, to find out how it's done, do I qualify for the mod.

Not asking for specifics but does it take the form of a button on the dash that I push when 4l is engaged or something similar.

Paul
Pauly_t

Postby biggibbo on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:07 pm

No mate. Nobody has been able to get it sorted for the super select box yet. We are waiting for a guinea pig to test it out with the latest theoretical solution however nobody has done it yet. Everyone is waiting for someone to do it and comfirm it works.

The solution is a switch which when pushed disengages the drive to the front
biggibbo

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:18 pm

The Challenger has Super Select. If the guy on ExplorOz has done it then that proves that it is possible.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Notso on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 pm

I don't have super select, but with the centre diff would you need to disengage the front wheels, or is the centre diff locked in Low range? If it is then maybe the answer is to get the centre diff to unlock in Low range as well as High?
Notso

Postby biggibbo on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:24 pm

The electrical solution we have been working on for the super select leave the centre locked leaving drive going to the front diff. What we are trying to do is interrupt the electrical signal that in effect locks in the hubs for want of a simpler description. Drive may still go to one I the front wheels however the other is unlocked allowing differential action and sort of giving us low range 2wd.

As said we have a theoretical Solution which we think mimics the easy select box, however nobody has done it and proven it works yet.

Maybe join the platinum lounge, get the instructions and give it a go and let us know if it works:)
biggibbo

Return to General Discussion