New Triton is great...but the seats are terrible

Anything Triton related

Re: New Triton is great...but the seats are terrible

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:12 am

Ok, so I'm not an engineer either but I've fixed a car or two and there's no way I can see that these would contribute to any reduction in safety.

Firstly they're fully machined from one piece of steel so really strong. Secondly, as I see it they actually increase the bearing surface of the seat mounts, unlike doing something like just putting in a longer bolt. Thirdly, tilting the seat up a bit at the front would actually decrease the tendency to "submarine" in a collision. Fourthly, they increase comfort and this can only be a positive thing as far as driver alertness goes.

I'm in the category that found the original seats terribly uncomfortable and the difference these "thread extenders" make is phenonemal. I have them and so does the passenger seat which says something about my confidence in these - that I would risk my wife's safety.

From a purely technical viewpoint, I guess that it is a modification and as such does need engineering. Up to you if you want to get this done, I'm not.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:26 am

Snowman,
Not syaing the extenders would play a part in an accident, but should you have an accident and have the side airbag deploy differently to the way it was designed and it caused an injury your insurance company may use that against you in an injury claim, I have seen insurance companies try to get out of claims any way they can, they might repair the car but not pay for your injuries.
Lets look at the seat in a rear impact or side impact, these will be under immense pressure during that time, will they hold up??
I myself am not comfortable in the drivers seat but a well placed towel on my lower back stops this. Again something that is a personal preference.
I suppose for any manufacturer they need to cater for so many different drivers, they can never get it right, although some more adjusment mechanisms would not go astray. And trust me i have voiced my opinion.
Hopefully in the next model things may be different.

Cheers
Lee-thal

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:53 am

Lee-thal, your point about insurance companies is a valid one. Each to assess his own risk, I guess.

These extenders don't change the positioning of the seat very much. A good deal more adjustment is available by moving the seat forwards and back and laying the seat back up or down. To that extent I doubt that there would be any effect on the way that the airbags work. Will they hold up in the pressures of an accident? I'd say that the original stud would let go long before these will. Where's the weakest point of the extender? Where the thread attaches to the body of the extender. With a correctly torqued nut the shear strength at this point would be enormous. The brackets of the seat (pressed metal) would fail long before this point is reached.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:30 am

5th,
Most of them may be ok, dont know havent seen them nor am i an engineer, it comes down to whether or not it is legal, in QLD it is straight down the line, you cannot modify the seat mounting position or change the seats without a QLD transport compliance plate, thats it.
I suppose its like anything, look at all the tyres we fit, are my tyres legal..... NOPE not in qld but it is a risk that i take by putting them on, If a copper pulls me over and knows about rolling diameters then yes i will get a fine and demerit points, thats my risk.
Its a personal choice to take that risk, not something i will be doing is modifying my seat as there are too many unknown factors involved, the major one being the airbags.

Cheers Lee
Lee-thal

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:38 am

I have the MN with side airbags and the power driver's seat. It has tilt/rake and up/down type adjustment in the base. While it's still bolted to the floor in the normal way these adjustments would permit the horizontal area I sit on to be lifted or lowered at will. So, if MMAL is happy with my airbags working okay with all those adjustments available, I'm not sure how a minor tilt at the front of the seat will change any of that?

I guess with the seats we are talking two different airbags - the side curtain from the roof lining and then the one that blows out the side of the seat itself. Both are activated by electronic signals based on sensors in other locations in the vehicle - for a side impact in the base of the B pillar as I understand it.

Given the amount of other adjustment available in the seat in stock form I really can't see it making any difference.

When we start talking insurance as usual we get into shades of grey.

For personal injuries we're talking greenslip type cover (or whatever it's called in other states). That cover extends to persons injured by a negligent driver so if you were at fault you wouldn't be covered for your own injuries anyway (leaving aside for the time being the policies that have extra driver at fault cover).

If another driver hit you then his greenslip insurer isn't going to be able to do much about your seat modifications.

From a property damage point of view things might get interesting I suppose. Still hard to see a loss assessor being able to establish that a major shunt would not have totalled your driver's seat unless it had these spacers on it. Even if he did you might be up for the repair costs of your seat at worst.

Anyway in the end I guess it's like a few other mods that are common on here, it depends on how comfortable you are with minor illegalities flying under the radar. By the time you take into account tyres, egr plates, engine chips, suspension mods, long range tanks, exhaust changes and so on and so forth other than the purely stock trucks most of us are taking some level of risk on board.

Not me of course, my truck is perfectly, 100%, street legal in every way. :D
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby bill1 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Have read this thread and a couple of others on seats with interest.

I have the ML GLX and the seat is killing me. Will probably go for the spacer kit in the short term but looking for a more permanent solution.

I understand that the trim on the ML GLXR is different and from shed pics i have seen seems to have a different shape as well. The MN seats all seem different again.

Can get some ML or MN GLXR seats from the wrecker for about $350 each.

Just wondering if anyone can advise on whether they are all interchangeable and if its worth looking for a particular model?

Wrecker seemed to think the floorpan is identical but would appreciate any advise.
bill1

Postby Homer on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:54 pm

All the ML seats are crap if they're not the electric ones Bill.

I think it's a bit the same with the MN....I've looked around a fair bit for an alternative that's not a big dollar recaro.

Just get the spacers mate...storm in a tea cup this legality thing - but up2U
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby UAV on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:31 pm

If they are that bad just get the spacers and look at getting the seats re-trimmed. Heaps easier and without the legal issues, thats what I'll be doing.
UAV

Postby antz2223 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:59 pm

howdy does anyone know if a bucket seat will bolt straight into the bucket seat mounts in a ML
antz2223

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:32 pm

antz2223 wrote:howdy does anyone know if a bucket seat will bolt straight into the bucket seat mounts in a ML

If you're talking about a seat from another vehicle then, no, no-one's found one yet, although there are a few that are close but any re-design of mounts would need engineering. As far as aftermarket goes, sure, most make adaptors that will allow fitment and, as I understand, the adaptors are type approved so there should be no engineering approval required. Only problem with aftermarket is the cost.

Edit: just checked your shed antz and assume you have the bench seat. The buckets should just bolt straight in.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby dazza_241 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:42 pm

the seat speacers i got are rediculous! :P they make the seats that bloody comfy i kick myself i waited 5 months to get them! all im looking at getting now is something made/machined up to fit over them that can be trimmed to look like the floor carpet...yep thats me being anal. the 25mm spacers certainly make cleaning under the front seat easier!!!! :lol:
dazza_241

Postby antz2223 on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:37 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
antz2223 wrote:howdy does anyone know if a bucket seat will bolt straight into the bucket seat mounts in a ML

If you're talking about a seat from another vehicle then, no, no-one's found one yet, although there are a few that are close but any re-design of mounts would need engineering. As far as aftermarket goes, sure, most make adaptors that will allow fitment and, as I understand, the adaptors are type approved so there should be no engineering approval required. Only problem with aftermarket is the cost.

Edit: just checked your shed antz and assume you have the bench seat. The buckets should just bolt straight in.

yea i do have the bucket seats mate...was hoping i could get a single seat out of another ML passengers side
antz2223

Postby Grumpy on Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi all, I installed the seat spacers in my ML GLXR yesterday, and did a run to Mooons territory (to Geelong from Ferntree Gully) and the spacers definitely make the seats far more comfortable. Is amazing that something so simple can make such a big difference. Maybe I should have done this a while back but all good things take time. Bit of a bugger to install but nothing insurmountable. . . . . .Grumpy. :)
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes...Grumpy
Grumpy

Postby snowman on Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:13 pm

probably worth the bump for the newer guys.

snowman wrote:i have swapped mine a few times now.

it is best to leave the rear bolts in but undo them basically 80-90%.

then as you go to place the spacers in, not only tilt the seat back but lift the seat at the back as high as possible first. This will get you the clearance you need without removing them.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:59 pm

Received my extenders today from DID 3.2.

I opted for the 25mm option for both drivers and shotgun...

First impressions: these things are solid and well made. They come with plate washers and fitting instructions.

Click to view larger picture

Off to the tool box and fit the goods.

:)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Ok the spacers are installed !!! The hardest part was getting the plastic covers off the rear of the seat rails.

All up a ten minute install. I had to take the rig for a test run and have to say this is 100% improvement over what they were.

Lumber support and side bolsters actually do something now. Best mod thus far.

:)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dinos4x4 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:07 pm

Who sells these spacers and how much $$$$$$$$$$$

cheers Dino
dinos4x4

Postby fridgie on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:52 pm

motoz wrote:Received my extenders today from DID 3.2.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Snooozy on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:43 pm

just send a Pm to did3.2 from this link :geek:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2900#p42657
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby did3.2 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Gezzansw
I got your pm but I can't reply as you have disabled receipt of pm's. :oops:
Hope you read this. :?
Family, Friends and Four Wheel Drives!
did3.2

Postby Foxzez on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi fellow Triton owners

My first post.

I dont know if the question has been asked before but do the new Triton 2010/11 seats fir in the 2009. I like many others find the seats basic and commercial which is adequate for quick trips up the beach etc The new Triton seats seem to be much more comfortable.

I have been using our 2009 auto/diesel VR with canopy and heavy duty tow bar as our family local commute but have plans to upgrade.

I would like to upgrade the seats, the suspension as we have found it quite light and bouncy at speed on dirt tracks, incorporate a second battery plus speakers in the canopy for beach trips, upgrade the rims and tyres and review stereo and speakers last of all.

We love going up the beach, day trips to barrington (frying pan creek, ladies well etc) and about to buy a Golf camper trailer which we will use a lot.

Hope to learn alot from you all

Regards

Shane :D
A little more beach and a lot more bush in my Triton
Foxzez

Postby did3.2 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Pretty sure nothing changed from the ML to the MN as far as seat mounting points. :shock:
I can help you make the standard ML seats better :D PM me for details. Just did a return to melbourne on sat 1500k's no worries in the standard seats with the spacers. ;)
Mate there is SO much to learn on this site its not funny, use the search button and don't be afraid to ask questions, we are all fairly harmless on here and got a sense of humour so enjoy the site and use it to your benefit as it is the holy grail of info on the Triton. 8-)
Family, Friends and Four Wheel Drives!
did3.2

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:28 am

The seats in heaps of vehicles are too low. Years ago I sat in a Hilux and it felt like I was sitting on the floor trying to see over the dash - this really put me off Jap ute-type units. I raised the seat in my Rocky about 50mm and the difference was like cheese and chalk.

If you've got the head room, raising the seat seems to e much kinder on your back - esp. on longer trips.

With regards to my ML - I'm looking at making a frame to raise the seat, which will also provide a support for a fire extinguisher across the front and provide more room for junior's feet.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:40 am

It's worth having a look at the spacers RHK, they do a very similar thing. In fact I have to have the shorter version as the tall ones have me craning my neck to see out the windscreen....
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby mickkk on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:47 pm

You have sold me. So how do I go about ordering a set?? And what are they worth.

Cheers Mickkk
mickkk

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion