What mod first??

Anything Triton related

What mod first??

Postby Yeahright on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:15 pm

I am new to the Triton scene, I have had a plethera of 4x4s but for the first time I am confused on which mods to do and in what order. I have 5 mods I want to do, the car will be a family tourer, and a daily driver.
The car is a 2008 GXLR 3.2 auto with a flexiglass flexisport canopy.
The 5 mods are,
1. 2 inch Lift
2. 265 Mickey thompson MTZs
3. Snorkel
4. Bullbar (which one, there are lots to choose from)
5. Sidesteps
I know there are different mods for differrent purposes and big variables on the fitment of mods, but I would like info from Triton owners, who have the mods I am talking about and know Tritons.
I just want to hear diffrent opinions and diffrent reasons for those mods based on knowlege of tritons and how the mods have benifited individuals.

Thanks
Yeahright
Yeahright

Re: What mod first??

Postby greeny03 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:21 pm

A lift would be the first on the list if it was my decision. Makes the car nicer to drive and when you get bigger rubber you will appreciate it.
VR Triton
greeny03

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:26 pm

These are all pretty personal preferences mate and it really does depend where you're driving and where the truck is going to go.

If you're still on the stock suspension that gear is probably shot already so I'd do that first, with safety in mind.

After that I think I'd do tyres, although again that's on an assumption that the existing ones might be getting a bit long in the tooth by now. Not sure I'd be putting MTZs on a daily driver/tourer though unless you're doing a lot of unsealed roads.

The others depend where you are - if you're doing a lot of dirt and river crossings then the snorkel, otherwise I'd do the bullbar and then the other two in whatever order.

To complicate matters for you there is a group buy on sliders right now for a good price so you'd be tempted to grab those now at the good price rather than wait and pay more later.

Having said all of that I have no idea what I am talking about in relation to any of the above. :lol: :oops:

I did tyres, then lift. At the same time as the lift I did a brake upgrade (safety theme again). Now I'm doing side steps and if Ultimate ever get their bullbars in that'll be next and snorkel probably last just because I don't have a huge need for it as yet.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:28 pm

now you know 5 guys will give you five different answers.......

I'll give you mine but again, if you drive through a lot of water (say FNQ) then you may want no 5 at no 1.

for me

1. 2 inch Lift (not so much lift but about the much superior ride on road - basically an accessory that is used ALL the time)
2. 265 Mickey thompson MTZs - whether 1st or 5th if you can afford a second set wear the originals out on the road and buy muddies for play. if you can't afford a second set and you are NOT going somewhere remote - then stick with the H/T for as long as you can.
3. Sidesteps / Sliders / bashplates - i would go bashplates before i went steps and i would get some of the decent sliders available now. again bashplates i have seen bend in ALL terrain (even beach)
4. Bullbar (which one, there are lots to choose from) - some people never want one - but if doing a lot of outback klm's - ARB or TJM in my opinion.
5. Snorkel - again the triton is unfortunately very susceptible to water from the standard intake and i have seen a guy drink water in a moderate puddle. if creek crossings are on your list then i would put it up above some of the others as a replaced diesel is more than a front end from a roo. and one is unsurable and the other isn't.

this thread will pick up momentum you watch......i reckon you will be lucky to get two blokes to agree on the same thing.

you really need to place more info on where you live (terrain type) and where you intend to go with it. there are other accessories i would put on before some of these 5 if you are asking for Triton feedback.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

What mod first??

Postby mattz on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Mate book it in and get it all done at once. :lol:
At the top of the list I would put bash plates. They are cheap and protect a lot.
Then I would go the tyres. They make a huge difference off road, more than any other mod.
Next would be suspension. The triton suspension will be more crap with those new tyres.
Now you can get more places with the mods I would put the snorkel on so you can go even more places.
Then it would be a toss up between the bull bar or steps/ sliders. This is pretty much the order I am doing things and it will depend on where you live and travel and what sort of tracks you want to do. I only want a winch but to get winch you need a bar. Hope this helps and good luck.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby sim_r32 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:33 pm

1. bar work
2. lift
3. tyres
4. snorkel

at least if you get all the heavy stuff done first you can get the right springs for it straight up, without having to replace them again when it sags when you ad the bars to it
sim_r32

Postby Yeahright on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks for the advice so far, this is exactly what I was looking for, good discusion on the topic, and all relevant, so keep them coming, I never expected the too many if any to agree on the order in which the mods would be done, but the more people put in the more ideas I will get, which is what the topic is all about.
I will be sticking with the MTZs because I have had two sets of them, and I got nearly 60000ks out of the last set, and they were still good for another 20000ks, and I never let tyres get dangerously low, in comparison with other mudders I have used they are not all that noisy and if rotated every 5000 they get good ware.
I am interested to hear more about Ultimates new bullbar, if I read it correctly.
I will be doing other mods but I feel these are going to be the first five.
As I said in the first post I have had many 4x4s, 5 Patrols, 2 Hiluxes, and 2 Jeep Wranglers, and I have never been lost with which order and what mods to do before, but all those cars have been set up for mainly hard core and weekend warrior type stuff, and this one is for touring.
I live on the Gold Coast, and we intend on doing, the Cape, the Simpson, and the Vic High Country, just to name a few, we like to go away camping in the Northern NSW area, and on occasions do the odd trip away with the club Im in, mainly fire trails and Rover Park, Landcruiser Mountain Park.
I tend to stay away from the hard trails at the parks as Ive done all that and broken cars before, there are a couple of others in the club who compete so we generaly go to watch them smash up their cars, so the Triton just needs to get me to a good spot to watch.
So keep them coming, this is all good stuff.

Thanks
Yeahright
Yeahright

Postby Homer on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:29 am

Bash plate, tyres then the rest...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby boycee on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:22 am

Newtriton.net stickers, tyres, lift, barwork Inc bash plates, snorkel. 8-)
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:50 am

Depending on your timeline, I normally prefer to get all of the major accessories first and then do the suspension last. That way you know exactly how much weight is on the vehicle and only have to do the suspension once. If it's a gradual upgrade, doing the suspension will make a dramatic improvement to the vehicle and can be adjusted to suit future mods. It's just a bit more labour involved.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby tezza08 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:19 pm

im going the way ultimate described , so far im up to sliders :twisted:

bar
bash plates
snorkle
tyres
sliders
rear bar
lift

oops ive got 7 not 5 :lol: :lol:
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional! :twisted:
tezza08

Postby Yeahright on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:30 pm

Tezza08,
I see in the pic you have a XROX bar and the same colour Triton as mine, I would really like to see another pic or two of your truck, because I was loking at the XROX bar but I have not seen onne fitted yet.
And now Ive looked under the front of the car i noticed these peices of tin foil, and Im assuming these are bash plates, so they are defiantly going on the list of must haves.

Yeahright
Last edited by Yeahright on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeahright

Postby Yeahright on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Tezza08,
Diregard the last brother, I looked in your shed and low and behold more pics!!!!

Yeahright
Yeahright

Postby JamoGLXR on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:54 pm

1 Bullbar from the skippies and other white meat. ARB and TJM for protection but Xrox def for price and airflow
2 Snorkel from the water
3 tyres better traction with a built in lift.
4 Lift to protect your sills
5 Sidesteps to help protect your sills

1 and 2 are protection issues from things that will stop your pride and joy
3 and 4 will help you not get stuck
5 look cool esp with brush rails and they help me wash my roof for now, reach a roof rack later

but thats just my opinion
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby Joe on Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:55 am

I agree with snowy :mrgreen:
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby snowman on Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:26 am

ultimate wrote:Depending on your timeline, I normally prefer to get all of the major accessories first and then do the suspension last. That way you know exactly how much weight is on the vehicle and only have to do the suspension once. If it's a gradual upgrade, doing the suspension will make a dramatic improvement to the vehicle and can be adjusted to suit future mods. It's just a bit more labour involved.

I hear you and agree Brendan. However as the standard Triton sussy is below even bad and it took you (say) 2 years to save and get all the other mods first, you would dead set kick yourself knowing you could have driven around on better suspension for two years previously.

The suspension, along with only a very select few other mods (seat spacers) gets used ALL THE TIME whether doing local, highway or tracks.

tough call and i know that weight actually helps the standard stuff, but if you are planning on doing rough or rutted touring. definitely get the suspension as early as you can.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:37 am

Yeah, that's why it depends on the timeline. Surprisingly a lot of vehicles are modified with all the fruit within about 3 months. In this case I would do the suspenison last. If it is a gradual build up over the space of a couple of years; I would do the suspension asap to get the benefits.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Return to General Discussion