MN Triton slow take off fixed

Anything Triton related

MN Triton slow take off fixed

Postby tryhard on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:01 am

Hi guys

A few of us have mentioned how the MN 2.5 has tons of grunt but is very sluggish taking off from a standing start.

Just did the 1500 km service and told the dealer service dept - they did the following :
"Performed Hotline Fix" and "Carried out fuel small quantity learn".

Whatever that means, it is 80% better now. Still feels a bit slow off the mark, but NOTHING like it was before. More than acceptable :)

See if you can get your stealer to do the same if yours if super sluggish too - might work

Cheers
Carl
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Re: MN Triton slow take off fixed

Postby cyberhonky on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:40 pm

wonder how long till the hotline fix comes out saying 'installed 3.2TD' :lol:
Grammar: Lesson 1- Capitalisation.

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Be nice Cyber :roll:
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tryhard on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:13 pm

cyberhonky wrote:wonder how long till the hotline fix comes out saying 'installed 3.2TD' :lol:

Sorry mate but I still prefer this to my previous 3.2 TD - too many things to like about it's overall performance and handling. I do agree though in most other things in life if someone is 0.7 bigger they're better off :)
---

tryhard

Postby ag9111 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Dont you mean 1.7 bigger. I dont know yet, the dealer and insurance Co can't get there s*t together so i cant get my truck.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Good to see mate. Sounded like fuel delivery.
I wonder how they get out of the factory like that? By that I mean all cars with minor gremlins.
They surely drive the nuts off 'em in testing and you'd imagine giving it the berries would be one of the first thing a test driver would do.

Anyway, good news!
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby tryhard on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:14 pm

ag9111 wrote:Dont you mean 1.7 bigger. I dont know yet, the dealer and insurance Co can't get there s*t together so i cant get my truck.

Oh yeah ... see it's just like real life, I'm trying to make the difference less obvious :mrgreen:
---

tryhard

Postby tryhard on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Homer wrote:Good to see mate. Sounded like fuel delivery.
I wonder how they get out of the factory like that? By that I mean all cars with minor gremlins.
They surely drive the nuts off 'em in testing and you'd imagine giving it the berries would be one of the first thing a test driver would do.

Anyway, good news!

Bugga'd if I know mate. Admittedly the slow take off was more noticeable if you had a car coming towards you ... which might not happen on the test track, and the boost after a couple of seconds might make a typical test driver think the whole thing was go-quick.

I forgot to mention there was a factory recall - for the freakin sunvisors !! They apparently swapped them for the ones I was 'meant' to get - they look the same but the passenger gets a mirror on back. What a waste of effort .. would have been better spent on the tuning and performance :)
---

tryhard

Postby Greedy on Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:05 am

[quote="tryhardI forgot to mention there was a factory recall - for the freakin sunvisors !! They apparently swapped them for the ones I was 'meant' to get - they look the same but the passenger gets a mirror on back. What a waste of effort ..[/quote]
Should've been on the driver's side huh. :lol: :twisted:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jop on Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:08 am

I thought mitsu would get it right second time round - sounds like more of the same to me :?
jop

Postby DEC06 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:33 pm

Well I wrote my ML V6 Auto off on Monday, well the truck side swiping me, spinning the vehicle and hitting a concrete light pole and a security fence, before rolling onto its side did really..........yesterday I had the opportunity to drive the dealers personal MN demo 2.5 GXL-R. It had apparently had just had its 1500k service. (it has 1600 odd on the clock)

All I can say is they either didn't do the hot fix for the delay, OR the delay that you guys were talking about last month must have been extreme!

I am going back tomorrow morning to give it another try, but to me it was plain dangerous, and I don't think I have ever said that about any car before. there was a good 2 seconds of almost nothing when trying to move away from a stationary position.

once away, she was great, there was plenty of acceleration, the trim level was the same as my ML, they have moved the rear power window switch from the centre console, to up in front of the gear boxes. Like wise the aux power is now in the centre console "box" (with the addition of RCA inputs) instead of on the outside of the console.

the fuel figure on the display was reading 14l per 100km.....I really hope that was incorrect

why the hell they dropped the V6 is beyond me.

cheers Jason
DEC06

Postby tryhard on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:21 pm

DEC06 wrote:All I can say is they either didn't do the hot fix for the delay, OR the delay that you guys were talking about last month must have been extreme!

yours sounds like the delay pre-fix mate. Mine didn't get sorted till the 1500 km service and they seemed surprised when I mentioned it, so I reckon just not enough people bleating about it yet ... it should be a recall item, not the sunvisors !
---

tryhard

Postby DEC06 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:17 am

tryhard wrote:
DEC06 wrote:All I can say is they either didn't do the hot fix for the delay, OR the delay that you guys were talking about last month must have been extreme!

yours sounds like the delay pre-fix mate. Mine didn't get sorted till the 1500 km service and they seemed surprised when I mentioned it, so I reckon just not enough people bleating about it yet ... it should be a recall item, not the sunvisors !

well I am taking your word for it Tryhard.....order placed for the silver....just got to give my finance broke a quick kick in the ribs.

cheers Jason
DEC06

Postby tryhard on Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:33 pm

DEC06 wrote:
tryhard wrote:

well I am taking your word for it Tryhard.....

I think you'll be happy Jason ... it's not an Evo7 but it's a bloody good drive in general (parking at Indooroopilly Shoppingtown was a bastard today though - everyone had their front jutting over into my space, which meant, even with towball removed, me sticking out about 2 feet into the traffic - wish I had that excessive length problem everywhere else !)

Cheers Carl
---

tryhard

Postby DEC06 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:05 pm

well I am finally driving her. :D

The slow take off that I experienced on the dealer's demo vehicle is not there......obviously the demo had not had the "update".

Now to set her up like my ML was.

cheers Jason
DEC06

Postby sierra on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:45 pm

Just in case you need a little bit more than the extra 30% mitsubishi has coaxed out of the 2.5 there's still some scope left in case anyone thought it was near its limit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtXi3PpoLXs

2.5 100kw 314Nm [mine :( ]
2.5HP 131kw 400Nm
2.5 Powerlab 270kw 640Nm

Slightly warm after the turbo as it peaked but quiet.
No problem with the warranty, unless they notice the turbo is a teeny bit bigger when they try to close the bonnet?
Very 8-)
sierra

Postby Calvin Klein on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi All

I've had my new Triton for 3 weeks now and overall I'm happy with my purchase.
It's an Ironback coloured, dual cab GLX-R, 5spd auto, 2.5 diesel, with a full hard cover.
I find it very comfortable to drive (particularly on long distances on the motorway), surprisingly quiet and it has very good handling (for a truck) in the wet when in AWD mode.
The only gripe I have is the terrible sluggishness from a standing start. At uncontrolled intersections or roundabouts I dont dare take the risk of trying a quick crossing, especially with my young daughter in the back. I've had a couple of frights passing in front of a column of high speed approaching traffic.

I took it in for my 1500km service this morning and mentioned that I wanted the ECU fix mentioned here (my guess was that they deliberately cut the take-off power back as part of the engine "running-in" procedure)
They claimed to know nothing of the problem but assured me that any software updates would be applied to the computer.
However after the work was performed, the service guy claimed there were no software updates at all for my model and after test driving it said that mine was typical of all the models.

However ...

1 - As some forum members here state, they have received a software fix that improves take-off performance
2 - I certainly dont recall the demo model I test drove several weeks back having this issue. In fact the relatively quick take-off was something that impressed me compared to the sluggish takeoff of the Ford Ranger I was also interested in.
Naturally the Mitsubishi sales / service guys are claiming that they wouldnt apply any such updates to a demo model but I dont believe them - they are car salesmen, afterall :D
The service guy suggested I ask forum members who have had the fix applied what model of Triton they have.
Mine is KB4TGJYHZPR8

I intend to take this matter up further with Mitsubishi.

Cheers, Kelvin
Calvin Klein

Postby tryhard on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:07 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:Hi All

I've had my new Triton for 3 weeks now and overall I'm happy with my purchase.
It's an Ironback coloured, dual cab GLX-R, 5spd auto, 2.5 diesel, with a full hard cover.
I find it very comfortable to drive (particularly on long distances on the motorway), surprisingly quiet and it has very good handling (for a truck) in the wet when in AWD mode.
The only gripe I have is the terrible sluggishness from a standing start. At uncontrolled intersections or roundabouts I dont dare take the risk of trying a quick crossing, especially with my young daughter in the back. I've had a couple of frights passing in front of a column of high speed approaching traffic.

I took it in for my 1500km service this morning and mentioned that I wanted the ECU fix mentioned here (my guess was that they deliberately cut the take-off power back as part of the engine "running-in" procedure)
They claimed to know nothing of the problem but assured me that any software updates would be applied to the computer.
However after the work was performed, the service guy claimed there were no software updates at all for my model and after test driving it said that mine was typical of all the models.

However ...

1 - As some forum members here state, they have received a software fix that improves take-off performance
2 - I certainly dont recall the demo model I test drove several weeks back having this issue. In fact the relatively quick take-off was something that impressed me compared to the sluggish takeoff of the Ford Ranger I was also interested in.
Naturally the Mitsubishi sales / service guys are claiming that they wouldnt apply any such updates to a demo model but I dont believe them - they are car salesmen, afterall :D
The service guy suggested I ask forum members who have had the fix applied what model of Triton they have.
Mine is KB4TGJYHZPR8

I intend to take this matter up further with Mitsubishi.

Cheers, Kelvin

Tell 'em to phone Toowong Mitsubishi service manager mate. The notation on mine from when it was fixed, is as shown earlier in this thread. That might jog their memory. It definitely addressed the sluggishness.
---

tryhard

Return to General Discussion