Vehicle Insurance : Who, What & How Much

Anything Triton related

Re: Car Insurance

Postby Snooozy on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:09 pm

I renewed mine a couple of weeks ago

Went with GIO $57.88/mth or $694.56 tot for year
Applied online.

agreed @ $44,920 :D
Basic excess $1000 + additional excess $200 (I always elect to take higher excess. After all it takes almost nothing to create $1200 worth of damage. If its that little I would prefer to just pay out of my pocket & save dealing with the insurance claim)
Rating 1 for life

incl mods-
Bonnet & headlight protectors
UHF
Dash Mat
Bull Bar
Floor Mats
GPS
Alloy Wheels
Seat Covers
Window Tint
Tow Bar
Winch
Suspension
Chip
& Windscreen cover

I just realised they didn't list a few things -flares, liner, tonneau, driving lights, battery changeover switch & electric brake unit :o
Maybe they ran out of room on the form :shock: ;) :lol:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Insurance companies

Postby mickkk on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:44 pm

I phoned my insurance company (CGU) to put the modifications on the policy.
I started listing what has been done, she put me on hold and came back saying that the car now falls outside of their guidelines, and they can no longer insure in unless I can prove that I have removed all the mods. And I have 7 days to find a new company.
Im not fussed about it too much, I glad I did it now not after a prang.
But I need to find a new insurer.

I made a List of modifications on the Ute from standard I have just estimated most prices, If any don't look right please let me know, as this is the list I will be sending to the insurance.

(*I have receipts for)
• TJM bull bar $1600
• TJM rear bar $850
• Opposite lock side steeps and Brush bars $1075*
• Snorkel $445.50* + install
• Long range fuel tank $1352*
• Tyres (285 75 R16 BFG KM2’s)and alloy wheels 6 $3570*
• Bash plates $500
• Spot lights $350
• Steel tray with drop sides $3500
• Canvas seat covers $400
• Dual batteries $1150
• Diff lock $500*
• Diff Lock install $850
• Diff breather extensions $200
• UHF $600
• Alloy canopy $3500
• Plastic flares $462*

Its a bit scary when you add it all up hey.
So who is happy with their insurance providers, and who are you using. I must have cover off road, as its mostly just used on weekends. I'm not terribly fussed on cost, as long as I know I will not be out of pocket if touch wood something happens.
mickkk

Re: Insurance companies

Postby Henry on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:46 pm

Just be very careful on what the "agreed value" of the ute is, and remember the cheapest isn't the best.

We went on the hunt for a cheaper insurance company, and found a $10 reduction on the yearly fees would cut the 'agreed value' in half.
Henry

Postby Racer on Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:57 am

That is a lot of extras. I am with Allianz and I only have half the mods you have. My vehicle is insured for around 40K on an agreed value. I found playing around online they work in $5k increments. Ie, premium = $600 insured @ $31k - $35999K and say $640 for $36k....

I stumbled across this when they said my car was only worth $32K so I just slid the scale up and the premium didn't change, I kept doing this and yeah, I ended up with a better price...

Market value is the one you have to watch....
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Insurance companies

Postby GadgetMN on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:05 am

GIO... They'll put all mods on their policy and insure the lot.
Had my crewman repaired with them earlier this year, they even replaced things not on the policy.
GadgetMN

Postby trickydevil on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:33 am

I'm with NRMA. They told me the price if the vehicle, I told them the mods and we came to an agreed value. I have all my policies with them. 2 4x4's, house, contents, trailer ( yep I know but it's $100 p/a) but good piece of mind for me.
trickydevil

Insurance companies

Postby chopper on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:33 am

We are with RACQ. All if my mods are listed, and we had to pay a 'loading' to cover them.

On a side note, we should all check our coverage notes, a few companies are specifically excluding use in 4wd parks, others are placing conditions.

----
Www.p7offroad.com.au
nothing here
chopper

Postby trickydevil on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:37 am

Hey mickkk, how about some shed pics.
trickydevil

Postby desblaze on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:04 am

I might be talking bullsh*t but would your tyre size have made an issue with them??
desblaze

Postby 1tuff_triton on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:13 am

I'm with aami, insured all mods with a pretty damn good agreed value. Further I enquirer about 4wd'n and they cover for anything that is not a competition. I even went through some scenarios and they seemed pretty good and the cost wasn't too bad.
It's not Tough unless it's TUFF
1tuff_triton

Postby headake on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:30 am

I am with aami as well and seem to look after me pretty well
Have my bashplates bull bar lights and muddies on policy and pay $85 pm with agreed value of $44k on a GLR
I MAKE KIDS CRY
headake

Postby Chill on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:19 am

I'm with AAMI and have been for years. Seem to be reasonable which is rare these days
Chill

Postby Mooons on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:38 am

We were with aami until recently had to change they said we had to many extra mods
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:13 pm

I'm with RACQ- went through the whole exercise and they made an exception for me regarding the amount of accessories- normally 25% but they may allow it higher due to being a 4x4.

I have market value for the vehicle (around $32k) which was a bit low- BUT they rate the accessories as extras and pay the full insured (replacement) value (on top of the vehicle value) takes the insurance policy replacement value up near $48k, pretty happy with that.

nearly be able to replace the ML with another ML and most of the accessories for that sort of coin......
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby DPQ on Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:19 pm

desblaze wrote:I might be talking bullsh*t but would your tyre size have made an issue with them??

As far as i am aware other than a very few selected 4x4 only insurers, that tyre size was not to exceed a certain percent above what the original size was ( not sure what it is :oops: , someone will clarify that no doubt) over that percentage no normal insurer will touch it. My opinion only happy to be corrected.
DPQ

Insurance companies

Postby dan.batto on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:00 pm

I have just gone through this whole thing, ended up with just car insurance. A lot, including aami didn't really want to touch me after a 2" lift, once you put that suspension in it changes everything.
Also found that you might get a $50 discount by doing it online but beware your agreed value is about $5000 less than when you call up. so I ended up doing it all over the phone.
dan.batto

Postby 61rth on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Like many others I am with AAMI, they seam to be the easiest to deal with over the phone aswell. I have been insured with them all of my driving life and fortunately have not had to claim, so I'm not sure what they are liek from that point of view. i found their pricing to be very competative and the coverage seams better than most.
Why does everything look like a nail when you have a hammer in your hand?
61rth
Platinum Subscriber

Insurance companies

Postby c-dale on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:32 pm

I'll let you know how they go wiyh making a claim with AAMI. Mines in with them at the moment. Am thinking now that I am underinsured, better than not insured at all but am hoping on a good outcome. We'll see.
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:02 pm

I'm with GIO, very good premiums, agreed value & all mods listed without hesitation, very happy with them.

If you get the quote online & call them back with the quote no. you get the benefits of online price but get to talk to a person to ask questions :o ;)
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 61rth on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:05 pm

Snooozy wrote:I'm with GIO, very good premiums, agreed value & all mods listed without hesitation, very happy with them.

If you get the quote online & call them back with the quote no. you get the benefits of online price but get to talk to a person to ask questions :o ;)

I found similar with AAMI. It is also difficult to negotiate with a computer. I still got another $100.00 off the internet price when I rang the call centre to double check some inclusions.
Why does everything look like a nail when you have a hammer in your hand?
61rth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mickkk on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:38 pm

GadgetMN wrote:GIO... They'll put all mods on their policy and insure the lot.
Had my crewman repaired with them earlier this year, they even replaced things not on the policy.

I think I will phone TIO (territory insurance office), I heard good things about them. No GIO up here.
mickkk

Postby mickkk on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:54 pm

trickydevil wrote:Hey mickkk, how about some shed pics.

Here is a bit of a build up thread, Dont know how to do a shed.

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=8835

It sounds better on paper than it looks, haha
mickkk

Postby mickkk on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:58 pm

dan.batto wrote:I have just gone through this whole thing, ended up with just car insurance. A lot, including aami didn't really want to touch me after a 2" lift, once you put that suspension in it changes everything.
Also found that you might get a $50 discount by doing it online but beware your agreed value is about $5000 less than when you call up. so I ended up doing it all over the phone.

Oooh I forgot about the suspension lift... will have to add that to the list.
mickkk

Postby andyj on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:59 am

I'm with AAMI no problems with mods so long as they are legal and is not used in competition...
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby Marks on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:08 pm

I had Lumley Special Vehicles when I had my 80 series with a three inch lift. I could do anything to it and they would cover it. And no body else would touch it. When I bought the Triton they would't because it was a new car. Just need to modify that now.
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Marks

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion