New Triton is great...but the seats are terrible

Anything Triton related

Re: New Triton is great...but the seats are terrible

Postby gutters on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:56 am

I received my spacers last week and fitted them on Saturday arvo, WOW what a difference. We went for a 200km burn up to Jimna to check out the Peach Tree's camp ground after the flooding and couldn't believe how much more comfortable the seats are now.

Good Work DiD!!! :D
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby jcm68 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi all ,
Am new to this forum ,how do I go about getting a set off the seat spacers

Johnboy
jcm68

Postby jcm68 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi all

Where do you get the spacers from??

john
jcm68

Postby tassie_ml on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:12 am

jcm68 wrote:Hi all ,
Am new to this forum ,how do I go about getting a set off the seat spacers

Johnboy

just send a PM to DID3.2 :mrgreen:
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby OTT070 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:50 am

received set of spacers from did 3.2
installed the one set on drivers seat heaps better now thanks
os post lost the other set so waiting on them to find them :roll:
post pack was torn with only the one set left in :?:
took no time to fit .brillant idea DID3.2

Peter
OTT070

Postby reeldreamer on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:13 am

Forgive my ignorance what exactly do these do? Is there 2 spacers in the set? I am assuming they go on the front mounts to recline the seat a bit? I have very long legs considering my overal height and find these seats horrible will these mounts help? Has some got a pick of them installed?

Cheers

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby fridgie on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:17 am

You're on the money there Mitch, they go on the front mounts and lift the front of the seat up to provide better support and comfort. I'd post a pic but I don't have them :lol:

For some reason, I'm fine with the seats and think they are comfy as they are :?
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby reeldreamer on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:20 am

fridgie wrote:You're on the money there Mitch, they go on the front mounts and lift the front of the seat up to provide better support and comfort. I'd post a pic but I don't have them :lol:

For some reason, I'm fine with the seats and think they are comfy as they are :?

Thanks mate! You do drive a "Not so great wall" so sitting on a milk crate would be more comfortable then your daily drive i would imagine! :lol:

Might have to get my fitter to turn me some up!

reeldreamer

Postby Homer on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:27 am

They make a considerable difference Mitch. It brings the front of the seat up to support your hammy's. Doesn't sound like much but it definitely helps.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Snooozy on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Theres a couple of pis in my build thread :mrgreen:

snooozy's build clicky
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby greeny03 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:35 pm

Have just ordered some! Hope them come before next week. Got a long trip to do and am dreading sitting for 6 hours!!
VR Triton
greeny03

Postby reeldreamer on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:04 pm

I made a set up today at work and it does make a huge difference! Another great idea courtesy of newtriton!

reeldreamer

Postby Red Baron on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:54 am

Just a quick note about my seat "improvements". I started off thinking about "thread extenders" a la DiD
style, and tried some washers under the front mounts, but not really enough for me. Then I got a foam wedge from Clark Rubber, cut it down and tried it under my seat cover and a piece as extra lumbar support. Was a move in the right direction, but I still wasn't entirely happy. Now I have removed the seat upholstery on the base so I could get to the foam underneath. Then I used my foam wedge between the steel frame and the seat foam to space it up a bit and tilt the front up too. It was a bugger to get the upholstery clipped over again, but eventually I managed it, and the improvement is significant. I'll probably not really be 100% happy until I replace the seats entirely, but seeing as the Minister of Finance has already let me get a canopy, Ultimate suspension and a new set of muddies, it won't be any time soon.

For those of you who want some extra lumbar support; if you look along the back edges of the seat back, there are zips there. Undo those and you can access the steel frame inside. There is a steel rod going across that provides the lumbar support and you can use a piece if foam behind that to increase the lumbar support. I have used a strip of one of those old camp mattress rolls and it works a treat!

Hope this is helpful to someone, Cheers Chris.
2008 MY09 Silver GLX-R DiD 4x4 DC with Super Select.
Red Baron

Postby RockoWallaby on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:18 am

Do they improve the MN as well?
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby Brett05 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:42 am

As far as I know, the seats are the same. This is one of those mods that once you do it, you'll wonder why you didn't get these earlier. The instant I made these and put them in, I sat in the seat and couldn't believe the difference 1 inch can make :lol:
Click to view larger picture
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby TJR on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Well done Did3.2 - a fantastic product you have here. Installed mine today quickly and easily and what an improvement!
Toby
TJR

Postby did3.2 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:40 pm

I will bring a few sets along on the brindies trip, if anyone going wants some. 8-)
See you there.
Cheers ;)
Family, Friends and Four Wheel Drives!
did3.2

Postby Froggy on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:26 pm

I'm looking at buying a Triton, but if i can't make those seats more comfortable, then I'll have to get something different.
Would anyone in Brisbane with spacers mind meeting up with me somewhere so i can try them out?
I'm at Forest Lake, but i'll drive anywhere. Just name a time and place. ;)
PM me if you can help.
Cheers,
Froggy

Postby msquito on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:40 am

What are the spacers worth? And who do I pm to get some?
msquito

Postby snowman on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:51 am

msquito wrote:What are the spacers worth? And who do I pm to get some?

use the 'PM' button below Did3.2 avatar two posts before yours. he will tell you costs and availability.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby reeldreamer on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:56 am

froggymicb wrote:I'm looking at buying a Triton, but if i can't make those seats more comfortable, then I'll have to get something different.
Would anyone in Brisbane with spacers mind meeting up with me somewhere so i can try them out?
I'm at Forest Lake, but i'll drive anywhere. Just name a time and place. ;)
PM me if you can help.
Cheers,

Ive got an ML with them fitted and live next to Forest Lake. PM me if you want to check them out.

Mitch

reeldreamer

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:13 am

I have a quick question, how will it affect side air bag deployment? and Insurance? everything i have been told is any mods to seats need to be engineered approved and mod plated. Just a thought, last thing you would want is an injury and your insurance not paying up cause you modified the seat mounts.

Cheers
Lee-thal

Postby mad992 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:23 am

Lee-thal wrote:I have a quick question, how will it affect side air bag deployment? and Insurance? everything i have been told is any mods to seats need to be engineered approved and mod plated. Just a thought, last thing you would want is an injury and your insurance not paying up cause you modified the seat mounts.

Cheers

roger that lee
thats why i ummed and arrrdddd about these :?
bloody insurance companys :x
mad992

Postby snowman on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:34 am

It is a valid point Leethal and this question had to be asked sooner or later and i will throw in my two bobs.
i don't airbags - so will leave that to others.

i dont think there is too much doubt that the mod is 'technically' illegal. :cry:

However, i found the standard seat to be absolute rubbish and created excessive aches and driver fatigue on longer trips. even short trips of less than 30 minutes saw me in pain. trips beyond a few hours were not possible. with the spacers i did Coffs to Sydney with one short stop and, although a bit saddle sore, was not in any undue pain. They make that much difference to me.

So ergonomically the spacers allow for driver comfort, so significantly, that i 'PERSONALLY' have no problem with their fitment as they could easily afford me 'safety' by reduced fatigue. i would far prefer to avoid an accident assisted by an illegal mod than crash into someting with the knowledge i was 'legal'.

From a pure engineering standpoint i would expect most tension loading on a frontal impact is on the rear of the seat base and this is effected only to a minor degree in the angle it attaches. The 'thread extenders' are of solid construction and as a component could provide bigger bending moments on the chassis connection etc and again would probably need some form of testing which is well beyond the resources of us.

This seat comfort is such a big deal to me it would have stopped me from keeping the vehicle long term. The seats are that bad IMO. My only other option is $2500 of recaro per side (one looks stupid). In the end i believe that the use of them is safer for me in providng significant comfort levels for not a huge cost. If they failed in an impact then i probably have other things to worry about as well. i just make sure that all the seat bolts are tight every now and then which is probably more important that the extenders themselves.

it is a shame mitsubishi can't get some basics right. AND before all the standard seat lovers start PM ing me with "what the [censored] is your problem" i understand that for some people - the seats are fine. but their lack of adjustment and MANY others here on this website that have issues it is proof that there is a issue.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:38 am

oh and regarding the insurance legalities.......

i see now way how these extenders could 'contribute' to an accident. in fact the opposite as i have mentioned.

in the event the seat failed in an impact which led to more injury - well again the impact would be MASSIVE and it would be hard to determine if they actually contributed to more injury. again the accident scene would be pretty bad for these to fail in my opinion.

if an insurance company walked away from a complete wreck claim because they found these firmly attached....well i reckon you have found the saddest bunch of pr**ks walking the earth.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion