Advice on installing hard cover

Anything Triton related

Postby Hardway on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:09 am

G'Day all,
Finally found and bought a silver hard cover. Ihave to go and pick it up this weekend and want to attach it before I have to drive home.(800km later)
Any suggestion on drill bit size,rivots/bolts required, any tips would be great on the install.
Thanks
Hardway

Postby subi_man on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:48 am

I can;t help you with drill-bit sizes, but I took these measurements a while ago for another member. Might help you out, hope it does!

Rear latch and strut
Front hinge

(The measurement for the front hinge is taken from the inside edge of the tray, to the edge of the hinge itself (not the thin aluminium clip that locks the pin).) Cheers
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Hardway on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:05 am

Thanks for the pic's.....will a least give me an idea.
Hardway

Postby ArrowsWA on Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:41 am

You'll need some clear silicone to build up the section where the hinges sit on the tray (the fast hard set kind)8-)
Live life now, Tomorrow might not get here
ArrowsWA

Postby cyberhonky on Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:27 am

use a framing gun ;)
Grammar: Lesson 1- Capitalisation.

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ....BeAkEr.... on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:19 am

blue tack and gravity!
....BeAkEr....

Re: Advice on installing hard cover

Postby helicoptercow on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:25 am

Hardway, did you have to remove the aluminium strip across the front of the tub from the old soft cover? And did it take long to install? just wondering cause i'm heading off to pick one up next weekend and like you would like to fit it before driving all the way home but not sure what to expect.

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brett05 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:41 am

I got a mint condition hard lid off eBay on Tuesday, picked it up that night. Started the fitting of it yesterday afternoon. Yes the ally strips have to come off as well as the cargo barrier....be careful when cutting the cargo barrier, one slip of the grinder and you can't take back that grinding gouge in the tub. I have the sports bar and side pods fitted up...run out of time. Will finish the lid, struts and lock this afternoon. I just plan on dropping the lid on with the hinges attached, then sliding like a beached walrus up into the tub to mark where the hole go through the hinges...PM me if your stuck...I may be able to help out with some useful info

Cheers
Brett
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby helicoptercow on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:27 am

cheers Brett, i just bought a nice red one to go on my gunmetal tub off ebay too but pick it up next weekend so keen to get my hands on it but all this waiting is giving me to much thinking time!!!
Lucky and unlucky for me i dont have the cargo barrier (got a VR) which is why i particually wanted the sports bar so i'd have something to rest and tie my rods to. So my biggest thing will be removing the ally strip, but i've been told to drill out the rivits head and they should drop out (better be that simple). any idea what size drill bits you've used? can't say i have a huge selection to chose from so prolly gunna have to buy some extras in advance.

The Cattle Truck

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brett05 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:25 am

1/8 or 3mm should be big enough, that's the easy part. They are also held down with what looked like a double sided tape(industrial strength) so a little gentle prodding and probing to get a flat blade under it to start to lift it apart....remember to rust protect the holes you drilled out where the ally rivet was
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby Dave on Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:37 pm

Moving to General discussion

Tips and Tricks area is for what the topic suggests, not for questions.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dylan 191 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:49 pm

....BeAkEr.... wrote:blue tack and gravity!

Nice informative post , did you think of that yourself ?? :lol: :?
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby Brett05 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:09 am

For those fitting up the hard lid, it is quite easy once you have the sports bar and side pods on. Like I said in the earlier post, all I planned on doing was fit the hinge to the lid with the hinge pin in place. Place the lid on your truck, make sure everything lines up and slide up inside and mark the hole position through the hinge plate. Remove lid and drill holes. And bolt/rivet the hinge to the tub. Fitting the gas struts is very simple, mark holes with the ball joint bracket on the strut. Not sure if it make any difference or not, but have the ball on the bracket to the bottom...drill and rivet/bolt. Will post up some photos tonight
Cheers
Brett
Brett05

Postby Brett05 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:12 am

helicoptercow wrote:cheers Brett, i just bought a nice red one to go on my gunmetal tub off ebay too but pick it up next weekend so keen to get my hands on it

Is that the red one that went for a $100.......bargain
Brett05

Postby helicoptercow on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:28 am

Post got moved... no wonder i couldn't find it anymore.

Yea assuming it was the only red one for sale, i did pick it up for $100 - only a few min left on the bid and it was still at its reserve so thought i'd make an executive decision without consulting the misses and went for it... got my arse kicked later for buying a diff colour to the ute though :P but its cheap to respray if i want to, in the mean time will be a great tool to blackmail the misses into getting me some new tread lol

photos would be great if you get a chance brett, i'm going to start preping tonight by removing the alum strip across the front and work out how to get the tub linner out (must be taped in too). The seller has given me some rough measurments and it doesn't look like the bar will sit in the tub for the ride home like i'd hoped, lid gets to ride the roof racks. How long would you say complete install time took? do i need to allow 3hrs?? BTW i'm a programmer so tools are foreign to me :P

The Cattle Truck

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brett05 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:11 pm

here's a few photos i hope will help out

if you didn't get the rubber seal with the lid you will eventually need to get some to put on the top where the ally strips have been removed.
i have fitted mine up but will be taking back off, just to tidy things up a bit....once you get the idea how it all fits together, it's easy to take the whole thing out again.
Click to view larger picture
the gap between the lid and the tub is where the rubber seal should be...i didn't get mine, so off to Bunnings or similar to get the soft rubber seal
didn't have enough 5 mm rivets to start with, so i used a few tek screws....have since replaced with rivets, see last 2 photos
don't rivet the lock plate, because you need to be able to adjust the thing to suit each lock latch. I bolted mine with M6 bolts and tapped the holes, but no reason they couldn't be drilled 6.5mm and use nuts and bolts. I also placed my brackets on a slight angle so it gets tighter as you turn the key to lock it
make sure the ball joint is attached with the ball joint to the bottom

5mm drill bit for the rivets, 5mm drill for the tapped holes or 6mm/6.5mm for the lock latch
hope this helps anyone else looking to fit up a hard lid

PM me if you have any questions

Cheers
Brett
Brett05

Postby helicoptercow on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:47 pm

THANKS HEAPS!!
those photos are fantastic and make everything clear, and those sizes you've mentioned are real handy to know. I was wondering about the rivets cause you obviously can't reuse them so knew i would need to pick some up beforehand or improvise.
I've just spent the last hour ripping out the tub liner and lifting the ally strip... that's some awesome tape mitsu use!! So now just have to clean up the leftover

The Cattle Truck

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Liger on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:51 pm

Quick question, where exactly does one need to place rubber seals and what types? Also is it totally nesary to use riviets or can i use nuts and bolts with spacers? Cheers! Great how to guide, really helped me. I started out with the hard top bits and 2 bags of bolts and mic. pieces :cry:
Liger

Postby helicoptercow on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:04 am

i used some PHAT rivits that a panel beater mate uses to hold together truck pannels :lol: the original ones i used broke after some extensive corrugation.

nuts n bolts work for the struts, but you'll need to rivet the hinges at the front of the tub otherwise you wont have a flat enough surface for the hinge - unless you only trust the two holes on the inside of the tub.

As for the seals, i went to clark rubber and got some hi density foam stuff and and lined the lid where they contact the lip of the tub and tail gate. Stops the rubbing and some dust getting in. Since then have decided i need to buy some rubber - like your door seals - to run round the end as well to form a better dust seal.

The Cattle Truck

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brett05 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:30 am

totally agree with you helicow,
Even the teck screws I had as temps were too high for the hinge.

As far as spacers go, I'm not sure if you can get in there to put spacers in, unless you take the tub off. Drilling and taping would be ok, for a while, but remember the material thickness is only about 1.2mm and that only gives you 1 thread pitch through the hole. Not a lot to hold on with. Then if it does flog out the hole, you have to redrill larger hole and go for a bigger bolt and or rivet.

Rubber self adhesive strip is what I planned on using....still haven't got around to doing that. And yes the dust does get in at the moment.
Looking at serving like this, but maybe a little bit thicker
Brett05

Postby Liger on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:40 am

You reckon i can get those strips from bunnings?
Liger

Postby helicoptercow on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:24 am

i looked in bunnings, they had something similar but wasn't dense enough i thought, was more a foam then rubber but your local one might stock something different.

I got the medium thickness rubber that brett is showing for the sides and tailgate, and the thick one for the front on the tub because of the bigger gap. the lid will compress it under weight, mines half the thickness it use to be, so the thin stuff probably isn't gunna last long :shock:

The Cattle Truck

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brett05 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:54 am

I can get it through work, going to get a price in ten minutes
@Liger
Might be able to go halves in a roll

watch this space
Brett05

Postby helicoptercow on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:05 pm

brett do you find the pieces below are worth attaching... can't say i ever did and i dont think the guy who owned it before used them either (no holes in the pod). Also do you have a nut on the back off the front attachement for the bar? i dont and one bold has vibrated a large enough hole the thread no longer bites.

The Cattle Truck

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brett05 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:34 pm

helicoptercow wrote:brett do you find the pieces below are worth attaching... can't say i ever did and i dont think the guy who owned it before used them either (no holes in the pod). Also do you have a nut on the back off the front attachement for the bar? i dont and one bold has vibrated a large enough hole the thread no longer bites.

My pods have the factory holes/nut already molded into the underside....but no, I don't really think it would make much difference. It's not like you are going to be standing on them.
I've got a spare bolt and square nut that your chasing, PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

@Liger
(our supplier only)The rubber strip can be supplied, but we have to order a carton of rolls. 10 rolls per carton @ $26 each.....too expensive.
PM me your address and I'll find a piece at work long enough to do the hinged area of the lid....looks to be about 1.2m long

cheers
Brett
Brett05

Next

Return to General Discussion