tow bar questions

Anything Triton related

Re: tow bar questions

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:59 pm

I seem to remember someone was able to coax mitsubishi into providing a letter for an ML to change the rating upwards a bit for their car. Can't remember who though?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Jayden sempf on Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:47 pm

What is the towing on an 08 ml
Jayden sempf

Postby grox on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:56 pm

2300 kg for diesel and petrol
grox

Postby Pete_79 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:24 pm

Ok, so after reading all the towbar and trailer wiring threads (and following all the links back to the same few threads) I still haven't found a definitive answer to what seams to be a very common question.

I've bought a second hand genuine tow bar that has the plug, relays and connectors for the rear loom.
I went to Mitsi today an asked about getting just the 2 front looms, no luck, full kit or nothing.
I've called various wreckers looking for the 2 looms, no one is interested in pulling them for me.

So.......

Can you run a fused power supply from the battery to the extra plug on the rear loom and run the earth back to the chassis at the rear?
Pete_79

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:22 pm

There's no reason you couldn't bypass the vehicle loom ( probably would be more reliable with less volt drop).

If you were to go this path, I'd suggest installing a heavier gauge fused twin cable run from the battery to the tub and then 'hop' off the end with a tail to the trailer loom. You could then use this main feed to say supply an outlet in the tub and any other suitable devices.

It should be relatively easy to buzz out the supply wire up to the trailer loom and tap your need feed into this.

When I installed the factory kit it seemed a bit amateurish the way little spans had to be inserted behind the kick panel and at the battery. Can't really see the cost saving from a manufacturing point of view.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Pete_79 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:59 pm

Cheers mate.
When I was searching around for info on this one I was thinking that if I needed to run power for the trailer lights I should do it big enough for some power in the tray too.

Happy to say you can by pass the 2 looms in the front and just run a new fused supply from the battery to the relays on the genuine tow bar.

I had decent sized single core cable at home that I bought just because it was on sale a while ago.
But I didn't have enough to run power and earth from the battery, so just earthed on to the chassis.

Firstly before fitting the bar I moved the plug up higher on the bar. These GLXR bars hang so low, I can't believe they put an electrical connection as the lowest point.

New plug location.
Click to view larger picture

I fitted a clear fuse holder at the battery and have a 30amp fuse in there for the moment.
Positive power supply for the trailer lights running off the back of the main supply.

Chassis earth for trailer plug and mains.

I haven't really figured out what exactly I want to do with the power in the tray yet, so just put an Anderson plug on the recovery gear box next to the fridge slide.
Pete_79

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Looks good job there Pete.

Good idea relocating the trailer socket, mines already partly broken off, I was thinking mounting it on the body section.

You could do a cheapy improvement on the negative with a short strap from the front of the tub to the chassis and the cab.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Horratio on Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:25 am

Have picked up a factory tow bar with rear step for my mn. I heard you need to torque the bolts to a certain setting when installing? Does anyone know what they should be torqued to?
Horratio

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:02 am

Horratio wrote:Have picked up a factory tow bar with rear step for my mn. I heard you need to torque the bolts to a certain setting when installing? Does anyone know what they should be torqued to?

92nm for the 10xM12 bolts according to the installation instructions on the first page of this thread

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6N39AZd7dAYMGx2T0dQaFJvczg
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Jacobie on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:53 am

Will a MN GLX-R rear step fit onto a GLX?
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby Naff on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:56 am

Jacobie wrote:Will a MN GLX-R rear step fit onto a GLX?

Yeah, same bolts etc. But most people go the other way as the GLXR one sits lower.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jacobie on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:10 am

Trying to sell off my step, just wanted to know if the glx have the bolt holes for it.
2013 MN GLX-R

Jacobie

Postby Naff on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:23 am

Sorry mate.. I thought you were talking about the tow bar... not sure about the step but I'm sure someone can answer it.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:07 am

Jacobie wrote:Trying to sell off my step, just wanted to know if the glx have the bolt holes for it.

Depends on year model. On some (ML particularly) the beaver panel was flat and had rubber stops in the bolt holes. In others and the VR the beaver is curved, so the step won't fit at all. For MN I think the beaver was the same in all models but the holes may need to be drilled out.

Put a note in your ad for the buyer to check whether it will fit before purchase.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Jacobie on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:40 am

Thanks for that mate! I told the bloke to come round and have a look at it, obviously want to make sure it fits before he hands over the cash :lol:
2013 MN GLX-R

Jacobie

Postby bdrjnr on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:52 am

Hi All

I didnt want to start a new thread about tow bars..

Does anyone know if there is much of a difference between the Genuine Mits Tow bar for a dual cab MN Triton (GLXR) and the Haymen Reece tow bar.

I am looking at purchasing a rear bar for my triton and it was based around the Haymen Reece not the genuine tow bar.

The person from the shop thinks that the Haymen Reece maybe slightly higher, and isnt sure if the genuine will work with it.

Its for the XROX rear bar for MN triton.

Thank you in advance.
bdrjnr

Previous

Return to General Discussion