Remove Front Door Trims and Check Strap

Anything Triton related

Remove Front Door Trims and Check Strap

Postby jonesy on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:46 am

Hi Guys, I"m not sure what it's called but the plastic thing that slides into the door to keep it open in the two positions has busted. Something has come lose on the inside and now it's either jamming open or just free with no resistance.

There are two bolts in the hinge end of the door which looks to hold whatever the mechanism is on the inside of the door.

Does anyone know how this works and if I can fix it from the outside without taking the door trim off. If I need to take the door trim off how the heck do you do that without breaking stuff ?

Cheers
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic title changed to better reflect content
jonesy

Re: Help Needed with ML Triton Front Door Opener

Postby cnswilly on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:07 am

Well if it is anything like a mn and i think if have the part in mind yes you will need to pull the door trim off. But it is really easy. The mn has about 6 screws. Remember what goes where. Cardboard or paper and place the screws in the place they came from. Just look around the door release handle will be one and so will there be in the handle hold. Just take your time and use a steel ruler or thin blade screw driver to help pop the plugs out.
cnswilly

Postby jonesy on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks, I'll have a crack at it.

cnswilly wrote:Well if it is anything like a mn and i think if have the part in mind yes you will need to pull the door trim off. But it is really easy. The mn has about 6 screws. Remember what goes where. Cardboard or paper and place the screws in the place they came from. Just look around the door release handle will be one and so will there be in the handle hold. Just take your time and use a steel ruler or thin blade screw driver to help pop the plugs out.
jonesy

Postby sammy199 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:39 am

U r talking about te check strap my one broke one day in the wind took the door and bent that that hinges pulled about a inch away from the car the front panel was net as well ended up costing me about 3gs to get it all fixed so best get onto getting the check strap replaced ASAP before it become a bigger problem
sammy199

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:03 am

To get the interior trim panel off I usually just grab firmly at the bottom corners and give one good yank, straight out. Works with just about any car. Make sure that you get all screws out first.

If you must pry the thing off then don't use a screwdriver or steel rule - you'll just scratch the paint or, worse, put little dents in it and damage the edge of the trim. This is a much safer way:
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Door-Trim-Remover-Set-5-Piece.aspx?pid=282096&menuFrom=80403#Cross

Once the clips are out you may need to remove the small piece of trim where the tweeters go This just clips out and then rotate the trim panel out of the top.

Door release and lock cables can be released but, if it's just a small job you're doing then it's usually easier to leave them on and just hang the trim on the door. To get to the check strap you may need to remove the speaker - just remove screws.

Installation is reverse but being careful that all clips are fitted in the retainers on the trim panel (not in the holes in the door) and then lining up a clip with a hole each side after rotating the trim on and hooking the top. Make a fist and use your hand to seat the clips, striking all the way around the perimeter of the trim
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Removal of door trims?

Postby naddis01 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:13 am

Hello guys. What is involved in removing the interior door trims? Something has gone astray in dads door so it won't stay open now.

Thanks in advance.
naddis01

Re: Removal of door trims?

Postby Duck on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:16 am

Hey Naddis, What does it won't stay open mean ? Do you mean that the door will not stay in place when it is fully open so it is the something to do with the hinges at the back ?
Have you tried making sure that all of the bolts are tight & just not out of alignment before removing door trims ?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Re: Remove Front Door Trims and Check Strap

Postby MilkmanDan on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:40 am

As above, I did this on the weekend and as barbaric as it sounds is the only way.

To put the trim back on you need to remove the blue clips off the door and put them on the trim to get it back on.
MilkmanDan

Door skin removal

Postby Pete75 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:30 pm

Hi guys and girls i have just picked up my 2015 glx-r runout model. I want to tint the front windows but am not aware of the process required to remove the door skins or the seal that is on the inside of the glass. Any help would be appreciated. Regards Pete
Pete75

Re: Door skin removal

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:50 pm

Okay so from memory there are 3 screws. One behind the plastic blank in the door unlock lever thing, one at the bottom of the handgrip in the armrest and one towards the back of the door, maybe half way down along the edge. Once they're out start in a lower corner and either lever the trim outwards or get your fingers in there and pull it. As bad as it sounds I've had the best results just pulling on the whole panel. If you go one by one looking for the clips with a clip removal tool or something like that you'll end up with a panel in your hand and a dozen clips still in the door that you're going to break as you try to remove them.

Once the clips are loose the top needs to lift a tiny bit along the base of the window. Reach behind the courtesy light and turn the globe holder maybe 1/8 of a turn to get that out. Now you're stuck with the cable to the lock and lever. You can probably get by just letting it hang while you sort the other stuff out rather than risk stuffing up the levers and cables. Otherwise there's enough flex in it to have a look behind and work out how to disengage the cables to free the panel from the rest.

I can't remember the story with the seal though to be honest. If you get that far you should be able to work out the rest on the fly anyway.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:53 pm

Pete, Cowboy Dave's description, above basically covers it but scroll up a bit further and you'll see one I wrote some time ago.

Oh, and by the way, you want to remove the door trims, not the skins - they're the metal sheet that covers the outside of the door. ;)

Welcome to the forum.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Pete75 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks heaps guys. :)
Pete75

Return to General Discussion