Scangauge options or anything better

Anything Triton related

Scangauge options or anything better

Postby Jarunit on Wed May 29, 2013 9:04 pm

Is there anything better than the scan gauge at the moment?
Jarunit

Re: Scangauge options or anything better

Postby fridgie on Wed May 29, 2013 9:11 pm

depends on what you're looking for and what platform :?

ultragauge, torque on android, rev/dash command on ios....

better than the scangauge in what way???

search obd2 and you'll find what most people are running, I can't compare as have never used one - I use torque :mrgreen:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby hvac guy on Wed May 29, 2013 9:15 pm

Ultra guage is the goods
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Wed May 29, 2013 9:27 pm

Blue driver app for iPhone
viking shippy

Postby Jarunit on Thu May 30, 2013 6:43 am

I meant better in terms of extra features/better display/more information/better built. Or do they all just show the same sort of information? Some from the US seem to I include certain "tuning" features but I am not sure if anything is available like this for the triton.

My initial review of the ultra gauge is that it is not as well built as the scan gauge so at the moment I am leaning towards scan gauge.. Unless there is something better even if it is a little dearer.
Jarunit

Postby hvac guy on Thu May 30, 2013 6:52 am

Mine seems built well and has a good display, maybe try a catch up with a member or two check both units out.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MervinJ on Thu May 30, 2013 7:49 am

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251125536804?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I bought one of these the other day.All I wanted it to do was to be able to diagnose and possibly clear faults that might happen but its got a few other bits and pieces on it.Its also cheaper than the scanguage.
Will know what its like in 3 months whem it arrives from China.

Mervin
MervinJ
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jarunit on Thu May 30, 2013 11:57 am

What about something like this:
http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info. ... DM200OBDII

Anything that the Scan Gauge does different? Both are OBDII but the PLX website doesnt say much about fuel usage which it seems the scan gauge does offer..
Jarunit

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 30, 2013 12:34 pm

Have you considered a smart phone app instead? You get a wifi or bluetooth dongle, connect to your phone or ipad and with the right app it will do pretty much the same stuff as any of these OBD readers but be more flexible etc. Not a permanent mount sure, but good enough for clearing codes etc and with a cradle it can look neat enough. You could even buy a cheap pre-paid android phone and mount it permanently - it doesn't need a sim card, just to run the app.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Jarunit on Thu May 30, 2013 2:02 pm

In my last car I tried rev and iphone software via bluetooth but found it to be slow and not very responsive. This was around 2 years ago.

I would prefer a wired solution like Scangauge but was hoping for something with an updated interface as the scangauge looks a little dated.
Jarunit

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Yeah the iPhone offerings are not as good as torque on android which is quicker and better to customise. Ultra guage seems prettier than the scangauge. Boycee was also selling a dial style gauge that connected to the obd port.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Bigbirdalx on Fri May 31, 2013 5:48 am

No complains about my ultra gauge. My dad went out and bought one when he used mine for a day
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby macca002 on Fri May 31, 2013 7:59 am

Since I already have my reverse camera, GPS and OZIExplorer (with HEMA) all running off my 5" windows CE tablet, I plan on giving Hobdrive a try.

Figured for the price of a bluetooth OBDII unit off ebay ($10ish) it cant hurt. I also really like the display of hobdrive VS scanguage.

Link to hobdrive: http://hobdrive.com/

Link to hobdrive running on windows CE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb6RdJ5WgIM

The unit in the video is exactly the unit I am currently running for all my gadgets posted above (reverse camera + gps sub $100)

With the added cost of the bluetooth OBDII unit and OZIExplorer I am still under the cost of buying a scanguage.
If hobdrive isnt for me, then I can fall back on my android phone and take the $10 loss on the chin.
macca002

Postby Crash486 on Fri May 31, 2013 8:21 am

Very nice. I like the idea of one unit for everything and with something thar stays in the car. If I did android, when "she who must be obeyed" took the car I'd miss out on fuel and trip figures.
Is there a 5" tablet brand you wold recommend?
Crash486

Postby macca002 on Fri May 31, 2013 8:30 am

macca002 wrote:This is the unit I purchased: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120896846700 ... 1423.l2649

I don't like the holder that came with it - its a big PITA to clip/unclip so I ordered this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130887361094 ... 1423.l2649

The wireless reverse camera works well. Sender unit is in the tail light slot down the back, and the sender up front sits up on the dash behind the 5" screen. Wiring in the cab was a simple plug into ciggy plug jobby, and 'hide' under dashmat.

If you look around, you can find just the 5" screen running windows CE - but to get the wireless camera is was only a couple of $$ more and is handy to have.

Other screen sizes are 4.2" and 7". I wanted 5" because 7" was too big/distracting on the dash and 4.2" is too poxy for me to read at a glance.

If you wanted to go Android and run the android app - then I would look at the google nexus 7 as it is a good size and relatively cheap. Also gives you the option to run other android apps. I am not 100% if OZIExplorer can run off Android. Same again for the HEMA maps.
macca002

Postby macca002 on Fri May 31, 2013 8:33 am

Just checked. OZI is still in BETA for android ;)
macca002

Postby Jarunit on Fri May 31, 2013 11:52 am

Macca,

Awesome setup youve got there mate. I am looking into it.

Do you know if you can get the xgauges feature on this unit? What are the main benefits of the xgauge for the triton, the only one I can think of is the transmission temp. are there any other big ones?

Would be interested to see how you go with the bluetooth connection, I had one ages ago on another car and found there was too much lag through a bluetooth connection. Maybe the newer ones might have addressed this issue as when I did it it was still a fairly new thing..
Jarunit

Postby macca002 on Fri May 31, 2013 12:03 pm

The unit I picked up runs the latest bluetooth (I think most of the ebay jobbies do these days).
According to the youtube vids I have watched I have noticed about a .5sec lag, which isnt a massive issue IMO - even for speedo/rpm/boost.

- Similar amount of lag as using bluetooth for making phone calls (barely enough to worry about it)

You can see the refresh rate in the hobdrive vid. Around 100ms refresh rate 8-)

As for the xguages, to be honest I havent looked, so I wouldn't be able to compare. I am interested to learn about them though

As a little side note - you can see the annoying clip on used for the GPS unit in the vid posted above.
Link to hobdrive running on windows CE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb6RdJ5WgIM
macca002

Postby macca002 on Fri May 31, 2013 12:29 pm

Also worth noting, if you do decide to go with a different Windows CE system (maybe cheaper again on EBay), make sure you dont get caught out by checking to see if it has Bluetooth. If it doesn't, you will need to arse about with a Bluetooth dongle - which will add clutter to the dash.

With HobDrive (the full version) you can also log all of your data to a TF card (memory card). Useful if you need to keep a fuel book for tax purposes or want to analyse temps after a big trip somewhere ;)

"hobdrive trip computer tracks multiple trip data for you, including 'autodetected' trips, such as daily trip, weekly, monthly and fillup trip. These trips are automatically tracked and a new trip is recorded each time you start the vehicle. Of course traditional manual tripA and tripB are also available."

Using hobdrive - pretty straight forward interface:
http://youtu.be/WHJ20mZSkKA

Again - haven't used it in the Triton yet. But found out about it from a couple of mates who use it without any dramas at all.
macca002

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 31, 2013 12:38 pm

xgauge is just a term the scangauge people use to refer to adding extra gauges beyond their standard readouts. They won't work unless the OBD port is sending that data out. If the data is being sent then other programs/readers etc should be able to see it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby macca002 on Fri May 31, 2013 12:40 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:xgauge is just a term the scangauge people use to refer to adding extra gauges beyond their standard readouts. They won't work unless the OBD port is sending that data out. If the data is being sent then other programs/readers etc should be able to see it.

Ah, good to know. Well then technically something should be able to read these extra readouts then :D
macca002

Postby Crash486 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:11 am

Spotted this as an interesting alternative to scanguage -> http://dx.com/p/ash-3-2-7-led-car-hud-h ... itysystems

Not seen a HUD with this data before
Edit: and if I look closer there are more -> http://dx.com/s/HUD
Crash486

SCANGAUGE INFO??

Postby greenystoughtriton on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:34 am

Hey all want to get a Scan Gauge, wanna know pros and cons and also if it is available for a MN model, looked at an ultra gauge but herd they bring up error codes when the plug come in and out of the socket, cheers all
greenystoughtriton

Re: SCANGAUGE INFO??

Postby Tony on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:40 am

All the generic scan tools can do strange things on the MN's as they have many vehicle specific codes so they are muchness to muchness as the saying goes.

I've never had cels pop up as a result of the plug coming loose but have heard of it with some android Torque app dongles.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TUF909 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Last edited by TUF909 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam.

Shed: http://www.newtriton.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=3584

Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17609

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
TUF909

Next

Return to General Discussion