Exhaust Thoughts?

Anything Triton related

Re: Exhaust Thoughts?

Postby badenglxr on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:05 pm

I'm looking a 3" for the same reason as what you've just said srb. Will A 3" dump pipe fit onto the MN no worries? As in the bends get round the firewall no worries? just heard of the D22 struggles and can only get 2 1/2 from the dump because its close to the firewall. Is it just a navara thing haha
badenglxr

Postby har05l on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:14 pm

To the best of my knowledge a 3" dump will fit fine ;) , just be wary when undoing the nuts attaching the cat as many have snapped them.

There is info available that others have posted to do the job right so search before you do this install
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby badenglxr on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:08 pm

Yer no dramas mate thank you :)
badenglxr

Postby shortSteve on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:28 pm

srb wrote:I got the 3'' Scotts exhaust on my MN... Main reason I got it was to lower my EGT's when running the Chipit, which it did do by about 90 degrees ;) The exhaust alone didn't improve performance that much in the lower rpm but has helped it once above 2000rpm. I tried it without the chip first and can too say you'd be wasting your money doing the exhaust upgrade without a chip or some sort tuning. Also with out tuning there is a small chance your MN could throw an over boost code with larger than stock exhaust. Has happened apparently. :?

I believe any of the newer (my13) models, or those with recent software updates no longer throw codes for overboost or the egr blank iirc? Also with the egt's, I never got a stock exhaust measurement, but I see as high as low 500's without the chip on long light throttle climbs (drops to mid 400's if I hoof it though or mid to high 300's most of the other time) and around 5-10% higher for same driving (using same amount of accelerator, but obviously going a bit quicker because of the increased power with the chip) with the chip running. Have set the egt alarm at 575 and haven't got there yet, but still unsure what is a "safe" max temp to be looking at? Some say in the 650-700 range? Thoughts?
shortSteve

Postby Tony on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:26 pm

Three inch dump fits fine on the MN. I used heat lag on mine to make sure nothing gets cooked.

Some MN's are still overboosting even with latest software. :roll:

I have one coming over here shortly to see what I can do as the dealers have left the owner to his own devices as he has changed/modified the exhaust.

shortSteve, your temps are nothing extreme by any means. If the phyro's thermocouple is around 2" back from the turbo (dump pipe side) 650c is safe on burst such as overtaking. 550c is sustainable on long hills. 300's to 450 is fine with all day cruising.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shortSteve on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:18 pm

Tony wrote:Three inch dump fits fine on the MN. I used heat lag on mine to make sure nothing gets cooked.

Some MN's are still overboosting even with latest software. :roll:

I have one coming over here shortly to see what I can do as the dealers have left the owner to his own devices as he has changed/modified the exhaust.

shortSteve, your temps are nothing extreme by any means. If the phyro's thermocouple is around 2" back from the turbo (dump pipe side) 650c is safe on burst such as overtaking. 550c is sustainable on long hills. 300's to 450 is fine with all day cruising.

Thanks Tony, may just have to go up a tune or two then :)

sS
shortSteve

Postby dan.batto on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:49 pm

Tony wrote: shortSteve, your temps are nothing extreme by any means. If the phyro's thermocouple is around 2" back from the turbo (dump pipe side) 650c is safe on burst such as overtaking. 550c is sustainable on long hills. 300's to 450 is fine with all day cruising.

Just what I need to know! Question though! So I start my day off in mid 300's we generally have been stopping about 11am for half hour and bel jumps in to drive. Then it's reading around 510 up to 540. Roads are flat, engine temp varies between 83-88 and intake temps vary between 34 and 41. While I drive boost is sitting around 10-15 psi and while bel drives around much the same maybe a tad under that. Speed is at 100-110 kmph and if we drop speed temps don't change. It we boot it, temps drop for a little until we steady out again.
Is this safe temps for our central trip? I got no idea as we are doing up to 850km in a day.
I'm running tune 5 with a 3" exhaust on ML manual.
Hopefully all is good. Thanks for any help. I have hopefully included as much info as I can!
dan.batto

Postby macca002 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:30 am

500C is starting to get up there.
At this time of year Central Aus is as cold as it gets - especially at night where it can drop below zero.
This should hopefully play in your favor - if you are planning on heading off sometime soon.
macca002

Postby dan.batto on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:54 am

I'm at uluru now mate ;) and those are the current temps I'm getting on the long highway stretches! Might have to detune the chip a little.
dan.batto

Postby odie602r on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:36 am

Do you think the egt gauge is reading accurately? Easiest way to tell is by checking its temp first thing in the morning before starting the engine - temp should be pretty close to ambient temp.

Just a thought :?
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Not all thermocouples are created equal from what we read in here.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby dan.batto on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Ill have a check in the morning!
dan.batto

Postby nicknet on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:29 am

Old thread I know but seems to be still kicking along.

I've purchased and installed a 3" turbo back exhaust with hi-flow cat and pretty much concur with some of the really early posts on this thread. Off throttle response is a bit soft, but put your foot down over 2000rpm and watch the speedo needle dial around a bit quicker. Economy is also a lot better, I averaged about 850km's a tank on a recent trip to QLD, with gear, picked up a 2tn caravan and towed it home and averaged about 650 so I was pretty happy with that. Last time I towed something that big with standard exhaust I was lucky to get 450kms. And I haven't chipped the MN yet so can only expect to get a little better.

One thing that does bug me, and might just be might cheaper x-force exhaust system is I get this really loud "woooooh" noise when I come off throttle anywhere between 1800-3000rpm. Almoost like backpressure from the turbo or something as the dump pipe off the turbo matches the turbo exhaust diameter which is much less than 3". Anyone get anything like that with their systems? Do you think I need some work done to expand the turbo exhaust outlet?
nicknet

Postby macca002 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:47 am

nicknet wrote:Old thread I know but seems to be still kicking along.

I've purchased and installed a 3" turbo back exhaust with hi-flow cat and pretty much concur with some of the really early posts on this thread. Off throttle response is a bit soft, but put your foot down over 2000rpm and watch the speedo needle dial around a bit quicker. Economy is also a lot better, I averaged about 850km's a tank on a recent trip to QLD, with gear, picked up a 2tn caravan and towed it home and averaged about 650 so I was pretty happy with that. Last time I towed something that big with standard exhaust I was lucky to get 450kms. And I haven't chipped the MN yet so can only expect to get a little better.

One thing that does bug me, and might just be might cheaper x-force exhaust system is I get this really loud "woooooh" noise when I come off throttle anywhere between 1800-3000rpm. Almoost like backpressure from the turbo or something as the dump pipe off the turbo matches the turbo exhaust diameter which is much less than 3". Anyone get anything like that with their systems? Do you think I need some work done to expand the turbo exhaust outlet?

You able to post up a vid of the sound?
macca002

Postby nicknet on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am

macca002 wrote:
You able to post up a vid of the sound?

i'll grab one when I go out... it's pretty loud ay...
nicknet

Postby nicknet on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:28 am

this is recorded from my iphone shoved in the sun visor bit with my window open...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0s8ptf_jMqEN3FvUGZadlhRcFU/edit?usp=sharing
just chopped out the bits where I was costing around so it sounds like it does continuiously, but it's just on the downshifts.

If you go over 3000 rpm you don't hear it very much, and some of those were right between two buildings
nicknet

Postby macca002 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:40 am

That is turbo dose aka turbo flutter ;)

Surge can occur on diesels when the turbo is attempting to pressurize the air at a higher pressure ratio than the compressor wheel can flow at a given speed.

Some people go out of their way just to get this sound.

http://youtu.be/Vs9ERhHTlmU

You can quiet this down with a muffler
macca002

Postby nicknet on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:54 am

macca002 wrote:That is turbo dose aka turbo flutter ;)

Surge can occur on diesels when the turbo is attempting to pressurize the air at a higher pressure ratio than the compressor wheel can flow at a given speed.

Some people go out of their way just to get this sound.

http://youtu.be/Vs9ERhHTlmU

You can quiet this down with a muffler

I thought this might be the case, just a wierd style of flutter sound, not so much a flutter more like a "WOOOH yeah" noise....

What about BOV... allow compressor to vent rather than turbo surge. There doesn't seem to be a factory BOV in the MN triton.
nicknet

Postby Tony on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:54 am

Its turbo getting cavitation on overun as you have removed any back pressure, can be very annoying. :lol: Some would kill to have it that loud. :roll: :lol: You've heard nothing yet, wait till you tune it. :twisted:

Yours seems more pronounce than normal. This sort of turbo dose is harmless as not related to the pressure side. When/If you hear woop woop from the intake, this is compressor surge which will lead to an early retirement of the turbo... In your case, nothing to worry about unless the noise level bugs you.

Listen to this twin turbo cruiser (Chipit power chip and free flow exhaust)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYqGvW8Xxes
Last edited by Tony on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:57 am

As far as I am aware, turbo diesels dont have BOV's as they dont have throttle plates.
macca002

Postby Tony on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:01 am

Chipit did some work on BOV's some time ago, only real gain was the sound as vented to atmosphere. :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bigbirdalx on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:04 am

macca002 wrote:As far as I am aware, turbo diesels dont have BOV's as they dont have throttle plates.

New ones do. Old didnt.
assuming u mean throttle body/ valve
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby nicknet on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:11 am

macca002 wrote:As far as I am aware, turbo diesels dont have BOV's as they dont have throttle plates.

ahh that would explain. Thanks for all responses. I'm pretty new to diesel modification so see how much better (worse :( ) it get's when I get it tuned/chipped.

Would be nice if it sounded like that cruiser ... might need a few more cylinders and CC's to achieve that though. Definitely getting the same smoke effect now :)
nicknet

Postby macca002 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:15 am

Bigbirdalx wrote:

New ones do. Old didnt.

If they do, I assume they still wouldn't make vacuum. Without both, a BOV wont work.
macca002

Postby macca002 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:19 am

macca002 wrote:
Bigbirdalx wrote:

New ones do. Old didnt.

If they do, I assume they still wouldn't make vacuum. Without both, a BOV wont work.

I guess you could technically run one on acceleration, but it defeats the purpose completely.
Would get the psssht noise though :roll:
macca002

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion