tub liner....yes no or something else

Anything Triton related

tub liner....yes no or something else

Postby Yellahunter on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:30 am

hey guys,

Im on the verge of purchasing a triton and wondered what the best thing to do re the tub liner is?

do i really need one? i mean do you all use them?
if so which is the best bet? i see theres a lot of info on the normal ones and spray ons so its a little confusing for me as a beginner.

any tips are appreciated,

Ben
Yellahunter

Re: tub liner....yes no or something else

Postby macca002 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:37 am

Speedliner is the best spray on liner IMO - however the colour does fade a little. Nowhere near as much as the rhino liner, but it still fades. It it much more resistant to chips/scratches though.

A drop in tub liner is still good, however water/dust can get in between the liner and the tub causing all kinds of hidden problems. With a drop in/plastic liner, everything you throw in the back will also want to slide around more.

A rubber mat is also good and will protect the bottom of your tub. Stuff will want to slide less, but offers no protection to the sides and dust/water gets in underneath. It is easier to remove than a drop in liner to examine/clean the tray.

If you can afford it, I would go speedliner. However all of the above offer some protection for your tray and either of them is better than nothing.
macca002

Postby Mudme on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:41 am

You should be able to get the tub liner thrown in for free
Mudme

Postby macca002 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:48 am

Mudme wrote:You should be able to get the tub liner thrown in for free

This is why the forums are great!

A no-brainer if you can work it into the new car deal :)
macca002

Postby redrover on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:54 am

What you put in your tub should really be influenced by how you plan on using it. I opted for a bed rug as it won't damage the tub like a plastic drop in liner can, is easily removable, drys quickly if it gets wet, and provides a level of grip in the tub like rhino lining without being hard, uncomfortable & permanent. It's also proved to be easy to keep Click to view larger pictureclean and very hard wearing. I'm having a canopy fitted soon and will often have a border collie in the back so it was an ideal solution for me.
It's a good thing I saw your stick figure family of 7. Your Tarago had me under the impression you were wild and single....
redrover

Postby dexterboy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:16 pm

This is another option do it yourself and you can get tintable to match the colour.See Youtube for how easy it is to apply.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/U-POL-RAPTOR ... 0912002600
dexterboy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:21 pm

Just be super careful with the PPE if doing it yourself, some of that stuff can be pretty nasty.

And redrover you left out how schmick the bed rug looks 8-)
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Duck on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:43 pm

If you are going to be loading a lot of gear in & out of the back I would get a spray on liner, I have a Rhino & it is lasting beautifully no fading at all, but if you are carrying the groceries, spend $150 bucks & get a rubber mat to put on the bottom to stop sliding & some protection. Or as above screw them for a freebie 8-)
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby redrover on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:43 pm

A picture's worth a thousand words Dave! You're right though, it looks a million bucks.
It's a good thing I saw your stick figure family of 7. Your Tarago had me under the impression you were wild and single....
redrover

Postby Ashandal on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:20 pm

That bed rug does look pretty good. Can I ask how many big ones I need to hide to get it?
Ashandal

Postby Mudme on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:00 pm

The bed rug looks great I just wasn't too sure how it would go out in the weather as I dont use a tarp or hard lid
Mudme

Postby redrover on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Ashandal wrote:That bed rug does look pretty good. Can I ask how many big ones I need to hide to get it?

$700.00 will see one in the back of your Triton. A bit more expensive than a traditional drop in liner but quite a bit cheaper than Rhino lining.
redrover

Postby redrover on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Mudme wrote:The bed rug looks great I just wasn't too sure how it would go out in the weather as I dont use a tarp or hard lid

It's actually ok with the weather Mudme as it's very similar to marine grade carpet. It's a plastic fibre sort of carpet with closed cell foam on the underside so it's 100% waterproof.
I haven't had my canopy fitted yet and the BedRug in my Triton has been caught in the rain plenty of times (like right now!) Because of it's plastic & closed cell foam construction it doesn't hold water and it drys in about half an hr in the sun. Any water getting under the rug just runs away.
redrover

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:24 pm

I installed a rubber mate from Bunnings/clack rubber that is $100/linear meter. Used the offcut screwed to the side of the tub as well. Its a heavy duty mat designed for ute backs and can be cut with a pair of scissors. Has holes in it so everything drops straight through and water evaporates straight out.
matt.jpg

Would never go back to a drop in liner due to them wearing away the paint due to vibration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Chally on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:45 pm

We have the Bedrug also and find it is excellent. We have a canopy and it is a lot easier on the knees than a hard liner if ya have to get in the back for something.

Jeff
Chally

Postby Mudme on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Good to know, it's the first time I've seen it
Mudme

Postby Jarunit on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Just got a bedrug installed as well easy at home in 30 minutes, love it, looks geat and hard wearing
Jarunit

Postby macca002 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:23 pm

ag9111 wrote:I installed a rubber mate from Bunnings/clack rubber that is $100/linear meter. Used the offcut screwed to the side of the tub as well. Its a heavy duty mat designed for ute backs and can be cut with a pair of scissors. Has holes in it so everything drops straight through and water evaporates straight out.
matt.jpg

Would never go back to a drop in liner due to them wearing away the paint due to vibration.

I had the same stuff on the back of maztruck and after 2 years of NT sun it started to fall to bits/tear along the perforations. Was hoping to get more out of it for the price tbh, but I guess like anything exposed to UV, after a while it starts to degrade
macca002

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:39 pm

At that price you can replace it a few times and still be ahead of some of the other options.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Mines about 5 years old now and no problems, although it lives under a canopy.

I will tidy up the wheel arches one day :roll:
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:50 pm

I had a drop in plastic liner.
when I fitted the canopy I pulled it out.

Ended up giving it away. :roll:

without a rubber mat on top of it everything slid all over the place :evil:

there was some paint rubbed off by it too, & rust spots from moisture getting trapped under it.

I just have rubber mats now but if I had some spare $$ I would probably go with a spray on
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gauci204 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:25 pm

do you guys put the liners in to protect the tub from scratches etc or for grip?

when buying a second hand ute i couldnt give a damn how scratched up the tray bed is, its a ute.

my only reason to put a liner in would be to stop shit from sliding around in there. i like the look of that bed rug though. if it is marine type carpet would be easy to clean etc

no way would i ever bother with one of the factory plastic bed liners, waste of space and slippery as.
gauci204

Postby redrover on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:27 am

gauci204 wrote:do you guys put the liners in to protect the tub from scratches etc or for grip?

when buying a second hand ute i couldnt give a damn how scratched up the tray bed is, its a ute.

my only reason to put a liner in would be to stop shit from sliding around in there. i like the look of that bed rug though. if it is marine type carpet would be easy to clean etc

no way would i ever bother with one of the factory plastic bed liners, waste of space and slippery as.

Hi gauci. For me it was both (my Triton was bought new so I didn't want the tub getting scratched up unnecessarily) plus the bed rug introduces a comfort factor which makes a massive difference if you have to kneel in the tub to get anything. It's a lot more comfortable for our dog too because he doesn't slide around and it's not such a hard surface.
redrover

Postby Mudme on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:41 pm

redrover wrote:
gauci204 wrote: It's a lot more comfortable for our dog too because he doesn't slide around and it's not such a hard surface.

your maltese needs to harden up lol :lol:
Mudme

Postby Mudme on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:54 pm

like this hehe all he needed was some winnie blues
Click to view larger picture
Mudme

Next

Return to General Discussion