ML Unifilter Element

Anything Triton related

Re: ML Unifilter Element

Postby sierra on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:00 pm

UAV wrote:hmmm, might have to order a chip then... :lol:

May as well get a Provent catch can at the same time and save on freight.
He had a complete 3'' turbo back system sitting on the floor.
sierra

Postby NTBB on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:20 pm

UAV wrote:So where is the best (cheapest) place to buy these from? fleabay?

Unifilter's web site was the best price i could find UAV
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby Sloth on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:21 pm

I also just ordered one from their website this week.
He who dies with the most toys wins!
Sloth

Cleaning the MAFF Sensor

Postby Homer on Wed May 11, 2011 8:38 am

Just a note for people with these after market oil type filters.

I have had one for about 60,000k's and over the last few months have had engine missfire - which I now think was a rev limiter and regular (weekly +) CEL's.

I decided to give the MAF Sensor a clean (it looked in perfect condition when removed) and it has all gone away and power has improved noticeably.

Half a can of MAF Sensor cleaner from Supercheap is a very cheap insurance policy to keep it in good nick ;)

I'll be doing this at every service interval from now on.

Mine is a V6 so loss of power is more noticeable than the oiler trundlers :P no just saying that you probably wont be getting the same symptoms but WILL probably be suffering the same problem...maybe fuel economy improvements etc.

I am very careful with oiling (never more than 2 caps for both filter elements) and have done it since I was 10 on dirt bike filters so if it is happening to me it will be happening to you.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby helicoptercow on Wed May 11, 2011 10:04 am

you say you removed it to clean, i've heard others disconnect the airbox and spray it in??

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed May 11, 2011 2:31 pm

No on mine I just unplugged it and then undid the 2 philips head screws holding it into the air box pipe....pulls straight out as a plastic unit/housing. Has an Oring seal
No real chance of damaging it and it just pops back in on the seal and do up the screws. You wont clean it spraying up the inlet.
With it out you can really hammer it with the spray jet. I hit it full on from point blank (hoping to loosen any backed on oil), waited and did it again about 5 or 6 times.

I don't know if the oilers are different?

Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture

Oh..and if you forget to plug it back in...it idles really low and roughly and stalls a lot :oops: :oops:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Wed May 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Homer wrote:Oh..and if you forget to plug it back in...it idles really low and roughly and stalls a lot :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Mr 90%
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Wed May 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Pretty much as Homer has described but I will add something..

Type of product to use - Do not use carby cleaner etc, you will damage the sensor!

Ours is a bit different a diagram below. "air flow sensor"
So remove cable, undo two philips head self tappers (dont drop them they are small)
Carefully pull out.
Spray the shit out of the MAF sensor (looks like a amber tear drop)
LET IT DRY (wont take long)
Put back together.

[[[DO NOT try and spray down from inside the airbox. The spray is not good for your engine.. Remove the sensor!!!
Plus it will drip all over your filter probably... again not good...]]]

I do this every month. You can feel the difference! 8-)
Even non oiled filters lose small particles of the paper and coat this sensor (you unlikely to see with naked eye)

Give it a go ;)

AC501395AE00ENG (Medium).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby helicoptercow on Wed May 11, 2011 3:32 pm

SOLD! i'll be off to super cheap tomorrow night.
cheers for the clarification guys :D

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed May 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Yep that's the stuff...I sprayed the crap out of it and only used half a can.

And yes...you can really feel the difference :D

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby mad992 on Wed May 11, 2011 5:23 pm

THANKS MEN will give this a shot 8-) 8-) 8-)
mad992

Postby snowman on Wed May 11, 2011 6:21 pm

thanks Geek. will do and reply regarding any difference.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Wed May 11, 2011 6:21 pm

snowman wrote:thanks Geek and Homer. will do and reply regarding any difference.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

ML Unifilter Element

Postby fridgie on Wed May 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks gents, will give this a go and see what it does to my smoke machine ;) :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Klink on Fri May 13, 2011 11:11 pm

I've read on the net that these type of filters shorten the lifespan of the engine. Is that false?
Also is the unifilter an overkill for mostly city driving or there is good benefits?
Its Klink..........not Clink!
Klink

ML Unifilter Element

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 13, 2011 11:29 pm

My impression when I made the switch was that it felt like the engine was breathing a bit more freely. Wait til you pull out the oem item and then you'll see why the move is a common one - the stock filter has a big fibrous pad on it that almost looks like something you could use to suffocate, well, something anyway...
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Sat May 14, 2011 10:45 am

Klink wrote:I've read on the net that these type of filters shorten the lifespan of the engine. Is that false?
Also is the unifilter an overkill for mostly city driving or there is good benefits?

this is a debate, like so many others, that wont go away easily. You have to decide yourself if you are prepared to use one. There seems to be a theme of 'oil residue' getting onto the MAF sensor but from recent posting this is an easy maintenance item that is solvable.

There has been some testing and it showed that some 'top quality' paper filters, outperformed some of the oiled filters based on particulate entry. (there is a Nissan patrol reference document link somewhere on this site which had that info :? ).

However, like others i could not believe how much dirt was on the 'clean side' of my paper filter, and i would personally be a little sceptical of the OEM paper units. I have been around long enough now to know that the manufacturer does not use the 'best' for your engine, just enough to get them past a warranty period if replaced at correct intervals. yeah yeah call me a cynic - i do.

air filters, like many other 'consumable' items on your car, needs replacement based on your driving style. sitting in dirt road convoy for a number of days will probably see more grit than many months of around town. So you will need to replace dependent of your driving. although the Uni or K &N type filter costs more to purchase initially, you can clean it almost daily in the dirty conditions at no real extra cost except oil (if you have the time - some people have two and swap over). that would be costly with paper.

i, like many others, was actually gobsmacked (word for the day) when i removed my paper element and looked at the engine side of it and definite dirt smears on the leading edges of my airbox downstream of the filter.

The BIG problem with oil based foam filters is correct oiling. it is VERY easy to over oil them (and under oil which is probably worse) and you must do it to the instructions and to do this you need to take your time.

The oiled foam filters have been around for a very long time and been used in some of the most arduous motor conditions that can be found so i think if you use them properly your engine will be fine.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sat May 14, 2011 10:48 am

here is the patrol link i was referencing....

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6198&p=102476&hilit=patrol#p102476

it is a great read.

filter testing starts on page 73 of that document.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:11 pm

ordered my Unifilter today, direct from unifilter in Syd. :) $130 inc freight for the combo pack.

I already have a can of MAF sensor cleaner so will be able to ensure it is kept clean.

Like others, I have found a thin film of dirt on the wrong size of the filterbox :o

looking forward to seeing if it makes a difference to economy on the nat meet trip.

no snorkel yet, but soon ;)
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

ML Unifilter Element

Postby ratstriton on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:06 am

Hey snooozy
Well done on the unifilter I love the ease of cleaning after a dusty trip, but the only thing I hate and Mrs rats hates even more is the induction noise from the snorkel once I installed the unifilter. When the window is open some times the induction noise drowns out the radio and the muddies.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jop on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:10 pm

4wd action has a test on the unifilter, k&n, terrain tamer and stock paper filters in the latest issue.

Unifilter won by a good margin on filtration. No real difference in a dyno shootout even with no filter installed.

Current issue - but won't be on stands for a week or so - Says airfilter test on the top of the front page.
jop

Postby bluepig on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:19 pm

hey rats mine does the same is that normal ??
the only good thing about it drowns out the some of the music i have to endure :lol: :lol:
bluepig

Postby tassietriton on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:35 pm

on a potentially related issue...
since installing my "Ralliart" snorkel I have had problems with the snorkel vibrating at the same low rpm rev range.
I can replicate the problem in neutral with the bonnet up and it seems to me that the entire airbox "cavitates" at those low rpms which in turn the whole snorkel to vibrate.
I have been told that a Unifilter may solve this cavitation/vibration problem.

Any thoughts?
tassietriton

ML Unifilter Element

Postby ratstriton on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:47 pm

bluepig wrote:hey rats mine does the same is that normal ??
the only good thing about it drowns out the some of the music i have to endure :lol: :lol:

Yea mate I'm pretty sure everyone suffers with induction noise with the unifilter and snorkel.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:58 pm

tassietriton wrote:on a potentially related issue...
since installing my "Ralliart" snorkel I have had problems with the snorkel vibrating at the same low rpm rev range.
I can replicate the problem in neutral with the bonnet up and it seems to me that the entire airbox "cavitates" at those low rpms which in turn the whole snorkel to vibrate.
I have been told that a Unifilter may solve this cavitation/vibration problem.

Any thoughts?

I've got a unifilter and mine does the vibration thing. Usually when the AC is on and the truck is idling.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion