The Black one 2.5 D-ID Diesel Chip

Anything Triton related

The Black one 2.5 D-ID Diesel Chip

Postby azza3400 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:44 am

Hi just wondering if anyone is running or has any info on the black diesel chips that are on ebay. I see they are made in Germany. Being so cheap im guessing they would have next to no safety measures.
azza3400

Re: The Black one 2.5 D-ID Diesel Chip

Postby bushy91 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:15 am

Haven't heard of it, but have a look at the tdc powerbox chip, great reviews, and mine runs really good. Bought it for $160 off ebay
bushy91

Postby azza3400 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:05 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Power-Box-MI ... 43bf88a17a
that's the one I was wondering about.
Ill read some reviews on that chip. do they have safety measures?
azza3400

Postby azza3400 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:10 pm

you happen to get a dyno bushy? or just a noticeable difference?
azza3400

Postby ag9111 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:19 pm

This gentleman is running one

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16738&start=25
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bushy91 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:27 pm

No I didn't get a dyno, but noticeable difference. Lot more power from low revs, less wheel spin in the sand from the turbo kicking in, about the same fuel economy but I do enjoy the extra power and give more of a flat foot 8-)
bushy91

Postby VictorBravo on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:24 pm

I've also fitted The Black One chip along with EGR blanking on a 2013 GLXR with 10,000km for about last 2000km. Noticeable improvement with power and economy especially loaded up with dirt bikes, trailer and gear can floor it without going down a gear up hills. 8-) More pickup at lower revs than stanrdard so turbo seems to kick in bit quicker.

Only concern is the engine temp seems high will verify when take it out for servicing as it sits on 2nd last of white bars can't recall if that was normal temp before fitting...

Will be interesting to drive without might do some 0-100km runs with and without at 15000km service and compare runs with app to measure acceleration & speed.
VictorBravo

Postby HGS on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:29 pm

I run one, it seems to work well on low down torque, fuel economy remains the same as far as I can tell.
HGS

Postby azza3400 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:06 pm

Hmm I recon my triton sits around half temp usually if not cooler.im waiting on the tony egr mod to arrive and see if that makes a difference in response, then maybe a chip after getting a Bluetooth adapter to run torque pro so I can monitor the tritons numbers better.
azza3400

The Black One Chip Review

Postby Andre307 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi All,

I've created this thread to post some feedback on the 'The Black One' tuning chip as available on ebay.
Being a relatively new member, hopefully this thread is ok - mods?
Now a couple of members I believe are running this chip also so hopefully they can chime in with any experiences also.

Firstly my car:
2009 ML 3.2 Dual Cab, 75000kms, Manual, Front ARB steel bar, 2" Lift, Canopy, Long Range Tank, Rear Draws, 245/70/17 10Ply LT Tyres.
Engine Mods:
Wastegate Arm Mod (16.5psi peak boost), Tony's ET EGR Mod.
Recent Changes:
Upper Intake Manifold Replaced 5k ago due to carbon build up (surging), SCV replaced due to rough running (approx 1000psi rail pressure variance at idle..)
Pre-Chip:
Car is sluggish (lower manifold carbon?), finding it was struggling to hold 100 in 5th on hills. Sounded rattly/noisy (I know its diesel :) ) and felt lethargic. Felt like it was worse than when purchased at 60k (although could be the mods..)
Post-Chip
Car is smoother and quieter. Definite performance improvement and feels much nicer to drive. No black smoke that I can see. Happy with the improvement although it is not an adjustable chip so only the single tune on it so not sure if future mods will have me looking elsewhere.
Now to the no-BS:
I don't for a second believe the power outputs quoted on the site. It is a fuel rail sensor interceptor style chip so it's only going to increase fuel rail pressure. I purchased the product knowing this full well in advance and had a realistic expectation of 10-15% improvement which I feel I got for the bargain price of $150.

I do not yet have an EGT probe but I will be purchasing one in the near future to check post turbo temperatures.
I will be placing the car on a dyno in the coming week (which I organized to check for pre-chip power loss) so I will see if I can run up a pre-chip / post-chip comparison for everyone. As part of the dyno I'll see if I can get the Air/Fuel ratios checked at the same time.

Hopefully once I have my results the information can benefit someone as I have from the other posts on this site.

Disclaimer.. YMMV and all that, just cause I did something doesn't mean you should ;)
Andre307

Re: The Black One Chip Review

Postby snowman on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:11 pm

Andre307 wrote:
I do not yet have an EGT probe but I will be purchasing one in the near future to check post turbo temperatures.
I will be placing the car on a dyno in the coming week (which I organized to check for pre-chip power loss) so I will see if I can run up a pre-chip / post-chip comparison for everyone. As part of the dyno I'll see if I can get the Air/Fuel ratios checked at the same time.

may i suggest you do the EGT probe first. i was running a tune in blissful ignorance and then added the EGR probe and got a real shock when i gave it some up a large hill as a test. :shock: :shock: :shock:

luckily for me i had not done any towing where i would have been at long full throttle runs so i dodged a bullet.

Get the EGT first mate. :|

that really goes for anyone adding fuel to the tunes. :|
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:52 pm

As you will see, there is already a thread on this topic. Posts merged.

Andre, appreciate your efforts mate, but please search before you start a new thread.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Andre307 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Sorry, did search but 'black' 'one' and 'chip' doesn't narrow it down much. Thanks for finding it for me :)
Andre307

Postby Andre307 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:11 pm

OK Guys got the dyno done but I'm not sure about the results.
As mentioned previously I suspect there is an underlying issue with the car somewhere.

Dyno was done in 2wd in 4th gear (manual).

First Run, chip connected default setting: 90.3rwkw
Second Run, chip connected, MAF cleaned, EGR ET mod disconnected: 77rwkw??
Third Run, chip disconnected, EGR ET mod disconnected: 77rwkw
Forth Run, chip disconnected, EGR ET mod connected: 78rwkw
Fifth Run, chip connected, lowest setting, EGR ET mod connected: 77rwkw
Sixth Run, chip connected, highest setting, EGR ET mod connected: 94.5rwkw

I got the AFR's measured but for some reason all were lean (off the scale, > 30 or 40:1) even at WOT??

So I'm assuming from the above data that 77rwkw is the standard result and therefore I got a 15% (90rwkw) or 22% (94.5rwkw) improvement. I was expecting approx 10-15%, although the second run is concerning as to why the chip didn't work...

Car is booked at the dealer to investigate possible issue somewhere as 77rwkw would only be ~100kw at the flywheel...
Andre307

Postby HGS on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:24 am

How did you change the setting on the chip, the one I bought didn't seem to have an adjustment, unless it is inside the case? Thanks
HGS

Postby Andre307 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:21 pm

There's jumpers inside the case.
Mine was set to the middle, the furthest to the right seems to be the highest setting. Although I don't have instructions so I'm only guessing :-)
Andre307

ANYONE GOT "THE BLACK ONE" DIESEL TUNING CHIP?

Postby tritonliz on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:57 am

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone one here has The Black One tuning chip from Germany for the Diesel MN 2.5?

Have read some good things about it and how it improves low to mid range throttle response and fuel economy.

Many thanks...
tritonliz

Re: ANYONE GOT "THE BLACK ONE" DIESEL TUNING CHIP?

Postby mattz on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:01 am

viewtopic.php?t=17048
Here is an existing thread which may have some helpful info for you.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby HGS on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:29 pm

I'm still running mine, had no problems with it so far, adjusted the actuator arm on the the vgt turbo, going to see how that goes, but has no lag at all now.
HGS

Postby scumbag on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:27 pm

brought one for my triton before xmas.
2009 glxr manual.
dropped muffler and blocked EGR
goes great with the black one chip.
picked up power, response and fuel econ

picked up on average around 1-1.5L to 100km
towing my boat i used to get around 12.5L - 100km
now its more like 10-2 - 10.5 ish...
managed to get it as low as 7.5L to 100km with nothing in the car and no boat which is the best iv ever seen it
very happy for the $150 it costs me.
scumbag

Postby tailorfisho78 on Fri May 15, 2015 5:33 am

Well I finally purchased and fitted the black one chip on Tuesday and all I can say is "wow". I have continuously lost fuel effectiveness with both adding a larger rolling diameter tyre and also Mitsubishi have an issue with the over heating of the mn triton so with the recall they have changed the coolant and carried out a software upgrade, which is actually detuning, re mapping, what ever we want to call it. As explained to me by MMA, it is a safe guard until the JAPS can work it out. The turbo lag experienced in my 2013MN was nothing shortly of disgraceful. exceleration was terrible. I fitted the black one tuning box on Tuesday and the change was immediate, no turbo lag, AT ALL! Exceleration was smooth from standing position and the 4B seems a lot smoother and quieter on the highway, doesn't seem to be working as hard. I was averaging 630-650 before the recall, post recall I lost 100ks per tank giving me an average around 530. First tank used since installing it 600ks, same driving up and down the Bruce highway, nothing different except a 10% increase in economy'. With the larger tires I and improved power/decreased turbo lag and a smoother ride I can except the above results, I have been given instructions from the manufacturer on how to change the settings within the box but I am also a believer if you increase the input/power this will decrease your fuel economy so I think as a happy medium I will leave it alone for now.
Cheers
Keith's
tailorfisho78

Postby Maxiy on Fri May 15, 2015 1:05 pm

Quick, probably really obvious question.

Iam looking at getting this chip, but am a little worried regarding warranty Blah Blah Blah, just wondering can i just simply unplug this chip when it comes to the time for service ?? and then plug it back in when i have had my service

Cheers
Maxiy

Postby Bazzer87 on Fri May 15, 2015 2:06 pm

tailorfisho78 wrote:Well I finally purchased and fitted the black one chip on Tuesday and all I can say is "wow". I have continuously lost fuel effectiveness with both adding a larger rolling diameter tyre and also Mitsubishi have an issue with the over heating of the mn triton so with the recall they have changed the coolant and carried out a software upgrade, which is actually detuning, re mapping, what ever we want to call it. As explained to me by MMA, it is a safe guard until the JAPS can work it out. The turbo lag experienced in my 2013MN was nothing shortly of disgraceful. exceleration was terrible. I fitted the black one tuning box on Tuesday and the change was immediate, no turbo lag, AT ALL! Exceleration was smooth from standing position and the 4B seems a lot smoother and quieter on the highway, doesn't seem to be working as hard. I was averaging 630-650 before the recall, post recall I lost 100ks per tank giving me an average around 530. First tank used since installing it 600ks, same driving up and down the Bruce highway, nothing different except a 10% increase in economy'. With the larger tires I and improved power/decreased turbo lag and a smoother ride I can except the above results, I have been given instructions from the manufacturer on how to change the settings within the box but I am also a believer if you increase the input/power this will decrease your fuel economy so I think as a happy medium I will leave it alone for now.
Cheers
Keith's

I noticed my car had some serious turbo lag after the recall. I ride a motorbike as my daily commuter and the poor Triton is only getting driven on weekends so I had assumed it must just be me getting used to the pull of the Ninja. But if what your saying is correct it makes me feel less insane now.
I have had a couple incidents of pulling out into traffic (where I would normally get up to speed no worries) and the utes taken off so slow and the other cars haven't been too happy! Bloody buggers at Mitsubishi!!!
MY12 MN Triton
2" Ultimate lift, 285/75R16 Wrangler Duratracs, 1" Body lift, Factory Rear Diff Lock, ARB Canopy, ARB Alloy Roof Racks, Xrox Bullbar, Roo Systems Roof Top Tent, Dual batteries, Draw System
Bazzer87

Postby VictorBravo on Fri May 15, 2015 3:44 pm

Took it out for last service and straight back in after!

+1 for The Black One!
VictorBravo

Postby Bazzer87 on Fri May 15, 2015 3:56 pm

hmm think I better order one, over the lag
MY12 MN Triton
2" Ultimate lift, 285/75R16 Wrangler Duratracs, 1" Body lift, Factory Rear Diff Lock, ARB Canopy, ARB Alloy Roof Racks, Xrox Bullbar, Roo Systems Roof Top Tent, Dual batteries, Draw System
Bazzer87

Next

Return to General Discussion