4x4 dual cab - undecided

Anything Triton related

4x4 dual cab - undecided

Postby glennyboy on Wed May 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Would I be disappointed in getting a GLX-R triton? I had my heart set on a LSU DMax or even Hilux but the minister of finance disapproves it. Looking at an auto Triton so she can drive it. Had a bit of lag but its not a race car. Second hand Hiluxs are expensive and there isn't much 2013 & 2014 Dmax.

Not sure what to do? Thoughts?
glennyboy

Re: 4x4 dual cab - undecided

Postby tcrow on Wed May 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Value for money the GLX-R would be better than the other options, and it has a better 4wd drive system.
If you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed.
tcrow

Postby Jt76 on Wed May 20, 2015 5:54 pm

Whats the budget? Looking new or second hand? I have been researching for months and test driving. After selling my dual cab a just yesterday im now ready to go again. Dmax will be much cheaper then Hilux even with the new Hilux on the horizon they still comand big $$$.

I would need to know a budget to work with to help.
Jt76

Postby mad992 on Wed May 20, 2015 6:05 pm

On a triton forum only one answer mate ;)
mad992

Postby har05l on Wed May 20, 2015 6:48 pm

"It's a Mitsi" ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby glennyboy on Wed May 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Haha - thanks guys.

Mrs wants under 40K...the cheaper the better in her mind. I saw on here that people were getting GLX-R for $33K. I rang a dealer in Melb and he said at a minimum you are looking at 36K in a colour (not white) and auto. The longer I wait, I guess stock reduces. I know the GLX+ is $30K but seems on the pop side of things for me. Not much into the 4wding side of things pretty much an everyday car/tourer.

Just hearing all there ERG issues with Triton that makes me wonder what to do. Save the coin and wait or jump onto something now.
glennyboy

Postby tacticaltriton on Wed May 20, 2015 7:37 pm

You let your wife dictate such matters? :oops:
tacticaltriton

Postby AnOldFart on Wed May 20, 2015 7:44 pm

glennyboy wrote:Haha - thanks guys.
Mrs wants under 40K...the cheaper the better in her mind. I saw on here that people were getting GLX-R for $33K. I rang a dealer in Melb and he said at a minimum you are looking at 36K in a colour (not white) and auto. The longer I wait, I guess stock reduces. I know the GLX+ is $30K but seems on the pop side of things for me. Not much into the 4wding side of things pretty much an everyday car/tourer.
Just hearing all there ERG issues with Triton that makes me wonder what to do. Save the coin and wait or jump onto something now.

x2 for what "Tex" said ie, the -EASY- EGR fix for Tritons.
"glennyboy" your 1st mistake was to ring the 'Stealer' and -ASK THEM- how much of -YOUR- coin -THEY- want.... :!:
Pre-arrange your finances 1st, and then -WALK- into the Stealer's showroom at the -END- of this month, and -TELL THEM- what -YOU WANT- and how much -YOU WILL- pay for it.... :!:
If you can't get them interested there, then -immediately- turn on your heels and move on to the next Stealer on your list and repeat the -SAME- message, etc, etc, etc until, you either find one of them prepared to listen to what -YOU- want, or, if you can't, then simply leave it until the end of -NEXT- month and repeat the same process again.
With the 30th June looming, I'm sure you'll get a far more receptive ear from -ALL- of them.... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bodia on Wed May 20, 2015 8:31 pm

Depends what's important to you!! I had a rodeo (D-Max) previous to the Triton and mechanically its a better rig (Isuzu are the biggest diesel engine manufacturer in the world and know what they are doing) but the manual gearbox was rough and it was low spec but coming from farming area where everyone has a +500,000 km rodeo I knew it would go forever. But in saying that I am on my second MN Triton because value for money they are better!! My thoughts are the competitors are definitely not 33% better (price difference) and if you keep them out of warranty you could rebuild the engine and gearbox for the $10,000 you saved not buying a D-Max or Hilux
bodia

Postby glennyboy on Wed May 20, 2015 8:36 pm

tacticaltriton wrote:You let your wife dictate such matters? :oops:

Yes unfortunately. Happy wife happy life.
glennyboy

Postby Headley on Thu May 21, 2015 1:41 pm

I had up to 60k to spend on a ute..

Looked at the Hilux: It was overpriced. Not enough going for it to warrant the extra 10k

Looked at the Ranger: Again it was too expensive, even though you could see where the money was going and it would have been an awesome drive. I thought it was a bit too refined for what i wanted at the time, a simple 4wd to get out to the mines and go bush bashing on the odd weekend.

Looked at the Navara: Its rep was not good.

Looked at the Colorado/D-Max: I think they were too new at the time and were again pretty expensive.

Looked at the Triton... it was cheap, but the GLX-R had quite a few features, a lot of them handy ones (Diff lock, folding mirrors, rear window etc). For what i wanted it was great.

One annoying thing though, mine did not come with a clear top coat on the paint. Which is f***ing annoying.

On the upside, it is easily the best value for money ute you can get.
Headley

Postby koshari on Thu May 21, 2015 1:48 pm

Headley wrote:I had up to 60k to spend on a ute..

Looked at the Hilux: It was overpriced. Not enough going for it to warrant the extra 10k

Looked at the Ranger: Again it was too expensive, even though you could see where the money was going and it would have been an awesome drive. I thought it was a bit too refined for what i wanted at the time, a simple 4wd to get out to the mines and go bush bashing on the odd weekend.

Looked at the Navara: Its rep was not good.

Looked at the Colorado/D-Max: I think they were too new at the time and were again pretty expensive.

Looked at the Triton... it was cheap, but the GLX-R had quite a few features, a lot of them handy ones (Diff lock, folding mirrors, rear window etc). For what i wanted it was great.

One annoying thing though, mine did not come with a clear top coat on the paint. Which is f***ing annoying.

On the upside, it is easily the best value for money ute you can get.

What about the bt50? Essentually a cheap ranger if your happy with poxy teardrop headlights. (Which you must be posting on s triton site)
koshari

Postby Headley on Thu May 21, 2015 2:24 pm

Didn't look at it, read a few reviews saying the suspension was pretty bad (relatively anyway)... Plus if ya got one it's like an advertisement saying 'i am too poor to get a ranger!' lol
Headley

Postby colin b on Thu May 21, 2015 3:05 pm

Correct me if I am wrong (For sure someone will) but aren't the Mazda BT50 and the Ford Ranger the same animal give or take a bit of tinsel?

Personally, I bought my Triton because I felt it was the least truck-like of the utes on offer and I got a really good deal from my local Mitsubishi dealer. Quite happy with it after roughly a year and a half.

There are some pretty good runout deals going at the moment but I bought mine one year old with 12,000ks on it. This particular vehicle was owned by a company which has a deal going whereby they trade them in every year. Nearly as good as a new car but well under the new price and I still have 3 years of warranty left.
Last edited by colin b on Sat May 23, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby AnOldFart on Thu May 21, 2015 3:20 pm

Just an interesting little -aside-.... ;) Mitsubishi were the same folks who manufactured the Japanese "Zero" Fighter aircraft in the 1940's which -shite- all over the lumbering "Yank Tanks" planes in performance, at least in the initial stages of WW-II until Uncle Sam managed to capture one of them intact in the Aleutians, and promptly proceeded to then steal all of the engineering principles involved in making the Zero, to manufacture their own (more successful) later stage fighters.
Just shows, our Tritons have a long record of engineering excellence behind them, in their parent company's history.... :D
Last edited by AnOldFart on Thu May 21, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Thu May 21, 2015 4:15 pm

Was in the same boat as you GlennyBoy (minus the wife situation). I was looking at getting a dmax. Was about to pay for a second hand 2010 model dmax with 50k on the clock when i stumbled across the runout Triton deal. i ended up getting the triton mainly because i payed 1000 bucks less for a brand new one than i was going to pay for the dmax.

to tell you the truth i was skeptical about the triton. Had always driven a hilux when i was growing up on my parents property, and had that "TOYOTA OR NOTHING' attitude.

In short, buying the triton was the BEST decision i have ever made. I only have the GLX but it suits my needs down to a T. It drives 100 times better than any hilux i ever drove, It keeps up with my mates fully decked out GQ patrol when we are beating around the bush, and it holds as much crap i want to throw in the tub when i go camping, or fishing, or snowboarding, or kitboarding or when iam landscaping my back yard.

I could not be happier. :D
Maxiy

Postby Headley on Fri May 22, 2015 7:44 am

The biggest difference between the BT50 and the Ranger is in the suspension. Ford spent a lot of time getting the suspension right and didn't pass any of that experience onto Mazda, who just chucked any old spring on it. There is a pretty big difference between the two *apparently*.

I love the triton because it's a simple beast but has enough refinement to do anything well
Headley

Postby destorman on Sat May 23, 2015 6:24 am

my $0.02 worth, if it's worth that much :?

Having driven a 2010 MN GLX for 5 years (owned since new) we considered all the 4wd ute variants and were happy to stay with a Triton when all things were considered:

#1 was the "value for money"
#2 was the end of model (i.e. refinement and development better at end of model)
#3 was the "known" quantity ... sites like this allowing an informed opinion, know what ya getting

I can honestly say the 2015 MN GLX+ is a more refined, smoother, vehicle all round. Engine, gearbox, suspension and passenger comfort in the 2015 model are very much improved. If you're looking at a GLX-R model, I'd doubt any of the other "ute" type 4x4 options will have the same comfort and refinement.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby Dan73no on Sat May 23, 2015 6:42 am

Like most I guess we tried the others and went with the triton for some reason or another. For me the triton was the right decision. I have looked again at Utes recently and struggle to justify what additionally you get out of a $53k ranger etc.

Even at $36k for the MN glxr that looks great value against he new shape triton coming in around $50k
Dan73no

Postby Tritonmax on Sat May 23, 2015 1:38 pm

Just my humble opinion gained from going through this process recently...

If an auto is a must, I would be trying to scrape up a few extra dollars and going a BT 50, even a second hand one or Ranger rather than a new MN Triton. When I drove the Ranger, I fell in love with their 6 speed auto/3.2 ltr engine combination. The detuned 2.5 in the Triton combined with the 5 speed auto is just not in the same league. Even the MN at $8k cheaper would not have been enough to convince me. For me, there was also definitely not enough price difference between the MQ and the Ranger for me to choose the Triton.

However, if you think you can make do with a manual, the MN GLX+ is about the best value 4wd going around. I have just rolled my existing MN over on a new one. I don't think we'll ever see another "decent" (not Great Wall, Mahindra, etc) 4wd Dual Cab again.

Hope my experience may help in some way.....
Tritonmax

Postby destorman on Sun May 24, 2015 3:19 pm

Tritonmax wrote: ... I have just rolled my existing MN over on a new one.

What did you have?

EDIT: Found this in the what did you pay thread:

Tritonmax wrote:
Tritonmax wrote:Just wrote a cheque for $31,990 for a 2013 GLX Cab Chassis with 3 tonne towbar, maybe my negotiating skills could be better?? But the tub was going to be no use to me as I am going to pull it straight off to put a tray on anyway.....

Something to be said for country dealers, I bought this in Central Vic and have been waiting for the engineering mob to make my tray for 4 weeks. Just spoke to the dealer today to tell them that the tray is going to be another 4 weeks away :twisted: and I made a joke about my crappy timing in regard to the $2k cash back. He told me that because I haven't picked mine up and handed the trade in over that the sale hasn't been processed and when completed I'll get the 2 grand!!! :D

Nice to deal with local blokes sometimes.......

So, the question really is, what are you getting? ;)
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby Tritonmax on Sun May 24, 2015 6:23 pm

^^^ Sorry Destorman, I posted a bit more detail in another thread....

In 2013 I purchased an MN Triton, driven it for over 2 years and 55,000 km's and been quite satisfied. As I am in the process of purchasing a new business, I thought I would roll my 2013 ute over on a new one. I had almost decided on a Ranger XLS as I had my heart set on an auto and I thought the Ranger was worth the extra money over an MQ Triton. But the local dealer offered me $6.5k change over on a new MN GLX+ and I can swap over my tray, suspension, bash plates, wheels, etc. At that price I decided I can live with the manual. For me, $30k for a pretty damn good 4wd dual cab is just too good to pass up.
Tritonmax

Postby colin b on Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:15 pm

Yep! At the end of the day it is all about the deal
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby jmos on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:03 pm

I got my 2013 MN GLR because it was a good 4x4 for a good price, $31990.
If I was doing now I would also try a colorado?
jmos

Postby Disco Emu on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:00 pm

Went through this whole process last week.
Definitely the best value 4x4 Dual Cab ute on the market.
Just bought a manual 2014 MY15 GLXR with 20K kms for just under $30K with hard Tonneau cover and ARB Bull bar.

Try buying a Hilux or Ranger for similar coin ... and are they any better?

Just sold the cover and rear step on eBay for $800

Now in the process of blinging it ...
Rear ARB Bar
Trek 4x4 Canopy
Snorkle
Battery Isolator
Redarc TowPro
HID's
LED Bar
CB

EGR???
Exhaust???