Domin8r exhaust special

Anything Triton related

Re: Domin8r exhaust special

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:44 am

doctor1974 wrote:Hi, Can someone please explain what ``overboost`` actually is and why would this occur from upgrading the exhaust system and how would i know if it was doing this? Cheers

Overboost is a sustained period (8 seconds has been suggested) where the boost is higher than the upper alarm limit in the ECU. This results in the ECU going into limp mode, characterised by a sudden loss of power. It can be brought on by keeping your foot flat, long hill climbs in top gear, or whilst towing something heavy. A larger exhaust system allows the turbo to spool quicker and generally sit at a slightly higher boost level. In my case, I seemed to have picked up approx 1psi in sustained boost, and 1.5psi in the initial spike before the system regulates (about 1 second).

Some vehicles/exhaust brands seem more prone to it, whilst others have no issues.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sav on Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:12 pm

mickl wrote:If you're in Adelaide there are two options I would look at.

Simon at Morpawa and Martin / Gareth at Willall racing. Both know what they are doing and are very well regarded in the car scene.

I just had my car done at Willall and Gareth and Martin were really good to deal with. I ended up going a Unichip and tune but they do just tunes as well. Results are similar for Chip or Ecu flash. Mine ended up at 126KW and 550NM. I would highly recommend it, its like a different car now and much nicer to drive.

Morpawa is $1495 for an Ecutek tune when I checked, Not sure about Willall but I think they might be slightly cheaper for just a tune. I think you'd be happy with either....

Hey mate how much for the chip and tune?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk
Sav

Postby doctor1974 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:51 am

Thanks for the explanation mate.
doctor1974

Postby srb on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:06 am

doctor1974 wrote:Hi, Can someone please explain what ``overboost`` actually is and why would this occur from upgrading the exhaust system and how would i know if it was doing this? Cheers

There's few reasons why these things can throw overboost codes... By going a larger free flowing exhaust you are increasing the amount air volume through the intake system, ecu freaks out and spits you into limp mode, can be very dangerous if you're trying to overtake. (spvi might be releasing a fix for this in the near future) until then you can easily avoid it by lifting your foot off the throttle for a split second every 20seconds or so... Or staying with the stock exhaust.
The other obvious reason is too higher boost limit without clamping the mv output on the map sensor.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:27 pm

is the exhaust alone a worthwhile upgrade ? or is it only worth doing when accompanied by a tune or chip ?
snakesoup

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:42 pm

snakesoup wrote:is the exhaust alone a worthwhile upgrade ? or is it only worth doing when accompanied by a tune or chip ?

Honestly, the tiny gain in "power" (according to my arse dyno) isn't worth the money. This particular exhaust is also quieter on the freeway than OEM (I don't like noisy/droning exhaust), but still not enough justification.

If I wasn't getting the tune, I wouldn't bother. Even then, the tuner says that the power/torque gains from 3" over STD are minimal; it's all about keeping the EGT reasonable when towing.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:25 pm

good feedback Bilbo baggins!!
snakesoup

Postby coughy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:01 pm

snakesoup wrote:is the exhaust alone a worthwhile upgrade ? or is it only worth doing when accompanied by a tune or chip ?

as bill said it is only for egt control m8 i have had standard tune chip and now remap and exhaust made no difference in power just cool egts and turbo spins up faster
if no tune or chip dont waste youor money
waste it on a tune or chip then get exhaust
bill is on the money AGAIN
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:06 pm

yeah I think I may go this way at some stage I'm leaning towards remap more than tune I think
snakesoup

Postby braydenc on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:03 pm

seems they dont make these for Mn anymore?
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby Sav on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:38 pm

I would say out of stock ATM they still have ML

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sav

Postby ratstriton on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:10 pm

I just purchased one for my ML and the salesman was saying they had some issues with the MN exusht and have pulled it from the line up at the moment.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:51 am

ratstriton wrote:I just purchased one for my ML and the salesman was saying they had some issues with the MN exusht and have pulled it from the line up at the moment.

I called yesterday to find out why they took it off (I still have 4.5 years warranty left :lol: ), and enquired as to the issues. Some throw the usual code with it fitted. As the kit doesn't have instructions, they also had people who couldn't work out how to fit it. IMHO, it wasn't rocket science to work out what went where, and the way the flanges are designed, it's hard (but evidently, not impossible) to fit the sections in the wrong order.

The parent company (Superior Off-Road) still have it available for $695.

http://www.superioroffroad4wd.com.au/sh ... how/id/645

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:22 am

I got an email today, they are back in production;

https://www.4wdmegamart.com.au/product/ ... l-exhaust/

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bdrjnr on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:47 am

Hope so... i need an exhaust.. my muffler spot welds have started to rust out.. I put I muffler delete pipe on.. sounds great but pumped out too much soot.. all over rear step..

A friend has one his mn. He didn't notice much performance changes. But said sounded good.

He suggested if he had it again he would remap ecu.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
bdrjnr

Postby Sickd on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:17 am

hey guys i just put on the domin8r exhaust on my 2015 mn last week and can confirm it has a smaller dump pipe
2 1/2" and then goes out to 3" maybe the were having the over boost issues and rectified it, i have a pic of the dump pipe if someone wants to PM me and supply an email i will send it on, not sure how to post up here.

exhaust just just a nice note and not drone on freeway, main reason was to get the exhaust gas moving better, i do believe it is a little bit more responsive and holds speed on hills just a bit better i guess to reduced lag slightly.

over all very happy with it
Sickd

Postby Sickd on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Well exhaust has performed great on the mn 2015 glx manual, just dragged the 2200kg jayco and rooftop tent with solar and fridge and canopy to mt gambier and to robe and next to victor harbor without any over boost or issues, they exhaust temps were great.

Vet happy with exhaust
Sickd

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:04 am

Sickd wrote:Vet happy with exhaust

I always trust my Vet when it comes to exhaust selection. :lol:

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:13 am

Vets have the final say, it lives or dies. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sickd on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:02 pm

Hahaha dam fat fingers always causing trouble, vet was very happy with exhaust
Sickd

Postby Shwa on Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:56 am

Just thought I would lend my experience to the conversation.
Before I upgraded my exhaust, I did a fair bit of reading and a lot of folk (including techs at ecutek) were suggesting that anything over 2.5" was a waste of time.
There was some division on this so I went with a 3" as there was greater option at the time.
I upgraded to the HD Red back 3" a few years ago now. I immediately found it had the opposite effect I was expecting and my turbo lag got slightly worse. Not heaps worse, but notable.
I then fronted the cash for a tune, I was going to go with an ecutek but at the last minute switched to a slightly cheaper tune. Wish I hadn't. Initially I thought I felt an improvement at take off, but that didn't seem to last. I had my EGR physically blanked at the time and tried taking that out, no difference, well no noticeable difference, I don't have a dyno in the shed.
I removed and cleaned my exhaust manifold, no noticeable difference.
I'm now getting an error code that suggests my turbo isn't spooling correctly while under load. Not all the time but often enough. Doesn't put the car in limp mode, but kicks me out of cruise control.
Things haven't worked out in my favour so far.
If I did it again, I'd spend the time and money at ecutek for a package (exhaust and tune) or at least listen to the tech and go with the 2.5" they recomended.
Basically, before you choose your exhaust, speak to the tech who is going to tune your ecu.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
It's not the time in the life that matters, it's the life in the time!
Shwa

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:49 am

A lot of the push towards 3" pipes seems to be price, exhaust joints probably go through kilometres of the stuff for the big yotas and pootrols. :lol:

A 2.75" pipe would be ideal on my 3.2 but I quickly get talked out of it based on price and availability.

Exhausts have to allow gas to flow freely but also provide an 'inertia' to effectively keep pulling the gas from the manifold between the pressure pulses from the exhaust ports.

If the pipe is too large, you might as well be dumping straight into the open air. Good if you're going down a drag strip but not for cruising torque.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby thebaton on Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:12 pm

Has anyone compared the egt difference pre turbo before and after an exhaust upgrade. Some or possibly all of the temperature drop could be due to the pressure drop as the gas expands moving to the larger diameter piping
thebaton

Previous

Return to General Discussion