New Triton is great...but the seats are terrible

Anything Triton related

Re: New Triton is great...but the seats are terrible

Postby pepelepew on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:02 pm

destorman wrote:
acresgreg wrote: ... but I feel like I am leaning towards the centre console, does any one else have this problem.

Actually yes, I was thinking about the way I was sitting as I drove along yesterday, and I seemed to be more toward the centre console ... further thought and analysis (and some wriggling about) I seemed to be more into the left hand side side support of the seat back for 'comfort' in being straight onto the steering wheel. When I tried to sit in the middle of the seat I found I felt 'off centre' for the steering wheel and pedals.

Now, this seems to be basically the same as my old EL (1997) Falcon, which I had for 13 years, so I am wondering if it is just me from habit, or is it the same issue ... that is dash layout designed around a having to offer 'front bench seat style' seating so that when the bucket seats were used it was slightly 'off centre'?

We do not have the seat spaces installed, as yet.

Hallelujah!

I'm kinda glad someone else posted this as I keep thinking I'm going nuts. I find my relationship with the wheel and pedals in my manual MN is kind of 'off kilter'. You never quite feel like you're in the right spot!
pepelepew

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Try-it-on wrote:I notice these posts are primarily from 2009.
Does this seat issue apply to the MN, and the GLX-R or the other models as well?

The MN seats are better than the ML, but IMHO, still aren't the best. The seat spacers from did3.2 will make a big difference to the MN as well.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Try-it-on on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:11 pm

Hmm. Ok, might have to arrange a set once I know this vehicle is definitely mine. Will probably arrange them so they are here before the vehicle then, because I am very sensitive to bad seats after destroying my back in the pre-OH&S days where they unloaded beer trucks by throwing whole slabs down from the top for you to catch and throw down the slide shute to the store room.
I love Terra Firma - the less firmer the more terror.
Try-it-on

Postby kevin on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:27 am

I've ordered 25mm for both front seats as I noticed there is a distinct lack of support behind my knees.
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby kingy on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Hey guys

Got my spacers of did3.2 on Tuesday, installed them that same day

Now I have been driving around for the last 2 days. Very pleased with them, the seats are a lot more comfortable. And best thing is that now my knees are sitting back more so now they don't rub on the dash :D

Thanks again did3.2
kingy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kevin on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:19 pm

I too received mine and installed last weekend - feels like I'm actually sitting "in" the seat rather than on it. Went for a day offroad in the Watagans and felt more secure in the seat than without the spacers. It's my first and a nice mod thanks did!
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby Try-it-on on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:42 pm

You know ... I actually didn't think the seats were all that bad ... that is until I put the risers in this arvo.
Fantastic difference. Funnily enough, it wasn't till afterwards that I realised how bad they'd been. I hadn't done any really long drives, so it hadn't really shown itself to be that much of an issue yet.
Now I like those seats a whole lot more.

But FLAMIN HECK that's a biatch of a job to get the seat back over the riser.
Ended up removing one of the rear bolts totally rather than loosening it. The theory being that forcing the seat down over the riser and damaging the thread on it, would be a lot more painful, than if I damaged the thread on the rear bolt and had to get a new bolt. There were several occasions where I had to resist the temptation to take to something with a huge file.
It can be done, but was a stinker to do alone. It would probably have been a bit easier with another person to push on the seat from the other side. Might come up with a form of shroud the way another member here did with some plastic, or at very least paint the washers black so they don't catch the attention so much, but the comfort level is fantastic, and the workmanship quality in the risers that DiD3.2 makes is excellent. Really really nice work

Oh, and removing the plastic cover that hides the rear bolts, has to be done the right way or you might break one of the plastic tabs. I tried opening the sides of the cover, as they seemed to be moveable, and the rear of the cover seemed to be firmly locked in place, but couldn't easily get the tabs to come out of the holes they lock into. It's because, as I found out the hard way, they are designed to slide FORWARD into those holes from the rear, so you actually have to prise the back up off first, then pull the cover off backwards so the tabs can slide out properly, rather than snap off. Oh well, only damaged one tab on one cover, and it's not going to be seen down under there, so I guess no real harm done.. But fantastic work there again DiD3.2. Really appreciate it.
Try-it-on

Postby snowman on Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:41 am

it may be worth noting that after almost 30,000klms i reckon my drivers seat has started to 'comply' with my weight and has a litle more give in it. Not great, but with the thread extenders i dont find it any worse after 2 hours driving than the XR6 i was driving last week (rental). Although a more 'sporty' seat, it was just as uncomfortable after 2 hours. So maybe that is more a reflection on my aging body than the seats.......

anyway anyone in doubt about the standard seats should definately try the extenders before replacing the seats.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shotgun283 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:26 am

my spacers should be on the way, cant wait, the ML seats are very average, might stop me sliding under the dash
LIFE'S TO SHORT
shotgun283

Postby andyj on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:54 pm

snowman wrote:it may be worth noting that after almost 30,000klms i reckon my drivers seat has started to 'comply' with my weight and has a litle more give in it. Not great, but with the thread extenders i dont find it any worse after 2 hours driving than the XR6 i was driving last week (rental). Although a more 'sporty' seat, it was just as uncomfortable after 2 hours. So maybe that is more a reflection on my aging body than the seats.......

anyway anyone in doubt about the standard seats should definately try the extenders before replacing the seats.

Be careful Snowy you mention weight and age in the same post your asking for an hijack ????????????????????? :roll: :roll:
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby shotgun283 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:37 am

got my spacers today, cheers DiD3.2, gotta put em in today. :)
LIFE'S TO SHORT
shotgun283

Postby Diddy on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Are the same as the ml seats
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby biggibbo on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:54 am

Got my spacers and fitted them on Sunday, way more comfortable, but had to completely remove the rear bolts and getting them all to line back up was a bit of a pain, really need another set of hands to help reposition the seat before re bolting. Top stuff DiD.
biggibbo

Postby snowman on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:12 am

i have swapped mine a few times now.

it is best to leave the rear bolts in but undo them basically 80-90%.

then as you go to place the spacers in, not only tilt the seat back but lift the seat at the back as high as possible first. This will get you the clearance you need without removing them.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shotgun283 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:44 am

Well spacers are in, only driven 40ks but what a difference, feel like your sitting in them not on them. I agree with snowman, found leaving the rear bolts in (just) and lift the seat at back, went in easy.
DiD 3.2 BLOODY GOOD WORK
funny how car designers cant get these things right, but a few Aussies on the net can solve anything ;)
LIFE'S TO SHORT
shotgun283

Postby did3.2 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:12 pm

Glad you are happy with them :D .
Thanks guys. 8-)
Family, Friends and Four Wheel Drives!
did3.2

Postby bboughton on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:09 pm

OK, so I dont like the seats either and have a set of 'spacers' on the way but has anyone thought of replacing the seat? Repco have a sale on at the moment. A pair of seats for $299.
http://catalogues.repco.com.au/portal/d ... geview=one

Whats the legal implications with this? (i'd like to say they wouldnt sell it if it wasnt legal but thats a lie)
A 'universal mounting bracket' is available.

Has anyone sat in these seas?

Thanks
bboughton

Postby BeeFus on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:45 pm

Hi Guys,
First post so be gentle
I am shopping for a Triton and very close to purchase..
I like the leather and the local Dealers have these leather seats that look like rally seats and they look and smell great..
Trouble is for a big fella they just don't fit and the things just poke you in the back..
I asked for the seats that are in the outlander (Very nice) and the dealer said that they cannot do that..
2 dealers have both said this, and stated that the reasons was to do with waranty and insurance.

With that in mind how do the seat spacers affect this?

Cheers
BeeFus

Postby Try-it-on on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:48 pm

Personally, I find it hard to believe that $299 a PAIR is going to be worth the money.
You get what you pay for they say, and that is incredibly cheap compared to quality seats.
But then I guess you can't really go too wrong, if they're really bad take them back, if they are ok but don't last long you'll still have your old seats to go back in afterwards, and that's not really a huge outlay.
Technically I believe you have to have them engineered or the like to be legal, but being an ADR approved seat, I can't imagine there's a lot involved in getting them approved. But that might be showing a remarkable lack of understanding of the levels of bureaucracy that are ingrained in the motor registry departments around the country.
Try-it-on

Postby tassie_ml on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:05 am

got mine yesterday and fitted them in 5 minutes, luckily the fronts just fell back over the raisers so no probs for me. Must have been lucky :roll:

thanks DiD, much appreciated
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby chef on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:26 am

Thanks DID 3.2
I recived my spacers yesterday and installed straight away 5 min job.
I must say i did not think the seats were so bad but after all the comments and rave reviews i thought for the cheap price that they are i will give them a go. Well i could not have been more wrong the oringinal were SH!T compared to the diference now. So the advice and inguinety of this site proves invaluable again.
Just to show how good this site is i have also order Baysie bash plates at a great price again hopefully be in my hot little hands today and be fitted over the weekend

Regards Chef
chef

Postby shotgun283 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:33 pm

They make a big difference Chef, i hated the seats untill i put DiDs spacers in, just put some RM Williams seat covers on and their even better now :)
LIFE'S TO SHORT
shotgun283

Postby bboughton on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Got mine a few months ago. Makes a difference, but I still dont think the seats are amazing. Will keep them in as it means your back falls into the lumber support more - can go a little longer without a sore back now.
bboughton

Postby drof on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi all,

I have a 2010 Challenger (Triton Wagon ;) ), which I'm finding the seats to be a little uncomfortable in. Does anyone know if they are the same seats as the Triton, and if so, I assume the spacers may fit/work?

Drof
drof

Postby Snooozy on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:22 pm

Received my spacers today. fitted them tonight, easy as (especially if you read the instructions on where to place the washers first) :oops:

Haven't been for a drive yet, but it feels good. I went for the 20mm version because I thought my legs would hit the steering wheel getting in & out.

Thanks DiD, ;) very well made :D
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion