Air Compressor

Anything Triton related

Re: Which compressor?

Postby ultimate on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:35 am

The blackmax is a good bit of gear. I use a Supermax compressor which is a bit more expensive (RRP-$495) but works incredibly well. I've had it for over 2 years and we generally take the one compressor out for a few vehicles. I've never had the thermo switch cut in and have used it many times on three-four vehicles.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Steane on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:42 am

Mattstruck has a compressor he bought from Aldi recently for $100. 150cfm and looks very similar to the TJM compressors (at least in my head...).

Was a ripper when he used it on the weekend. Better than the twin-piston chinese jobby I have (quicker, sounded more serious).

Might be worth checking out?

MT might jump on with more details. He'll be out looking for his missing 50Nm but usually drops in each day... :lol:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:02 am

I've got the Aldi special as well, and it's a little champion of a compressor. :lol: It does come with a 1 year warranty, and for the price (I paid $99) you could buy 2 or 3 just in case. I've only used it once so far, and it inflates pretty damn quickly (4 tires from 20 to 38psi in under 20mins). I leave mine in the back of the tray and will be looking at making a proper box for it as the crappy carry bag isn't up to the task of my new-found torque 8-)

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Bennys on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:06 am

Wait for a 4x4 and camping show, I picked my arb up for $240.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Bennys

Postby biggibbo on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:36 am

I have an old Opposite Lock Blue Tongue which I have had for 15 yrs and never had a problem. It is a little slow compared to some of the newer ones on the market but has been bullet proof.

Probably takes an extra minute to inflate a tyre when compared to Ultimates Supermax, but it has never let me down and was mounted under the hood of the old 4Runner for about 4 years so it has copped plenty of weather and punishment.

I paid $400 all those years ago, and looking back, you do get what you pay for. The compressor has outlasted 5 vehicles so far, so I would be looking for a quality unit from TJM, ARB or O/L.

When mine craps out I will be going the ARB twin unit.
biggibbo

Postby daryn on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks Tex for the thread suggestions.

I am going to merge these 3 threads together.

For those that found it difficult to search and say that nothing comes up, I have used the term "compressor" and chose 'topic title' as the option and plenty do, have a practise and suss out out tutorial on SEARCH, if you need help ask away and suggestions let us know, we are here to help. :D

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/search.php?keywords=compressor&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Threads merged.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Re: Air Compressor

Postby Mattstruck on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:47 pm

For the tight arses ;)

Just bought an Aldi one for $100. Its a wee ripper 150 lt/min job. Solid unit. Steane says its same as TJM job.

Im happy with it thats for sure. Its got balls! :D
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby fridgie on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Just be wary with the arb unit if doing multiple vehicles, the hose at the compressor gets very hot and is known to rupture at this point. I will be changing mine over to a more heat resistant one at some point.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Mooons on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:20 pm

fridgie wrote:Just be wary with the arb unit if doing multiple vehicles, the hose at the compressor gets very hot and is known to rupture at this point. I will be changing mine over to a more heat resistant one at some point.

I've got a big red :oops:
And it used to do the same thing
I plumbed up some stainless tube to act as a heat sink
All good now
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:39 am

Mooons wrote:
fridgie wrote:Just be wary with the arb unit if doing multiple vehicles, the hose at the compressor gets very hot and is known to rupture at this point. I will be changing mine over to a more heat resistant one at some point.

I've got a big red :oops:
And it used to do the same thing
I plumbed up some stainless tube to act as a heat sink
All good now

Has anyone changed the ARB compressor fitting to suit nitto or something a little more common?

That was what I was alluding to in my post. I haven't looked closely at how the compressor fitting is installed as it is tucked under my seat but if it is a screw on/off job - BSP or NPT thread like I assume I will also look at going down this path.

I changed the hose end to nitto to utilise any hand tools and better priced guages etc.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby ultimate on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:46 am

I think another thing to look at if spending big dollars on a compressor is if they can be serviced and how much. The bushranger ones come with spare filters and all service parts are available. ARB can usually repair theirs and I believe TJM and OL are the same. Going cheap can be more expensive in the long run if spare parts aren't available. Unless of cause you have an ALDI's compressor which is so cheap and backed by a good warranty ;)
The Team at
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby ultimate on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:21 pm

If there is enough interest in Air Compressors, I can look at running a group buy type thing with a range of the Bush ranger ones. Let me know what you all think.
The Team at
ultimate

Postby motoz on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:31 pm

ultimate wrote:If there is enough interest in Air Compressors, I can look at running a group buy type thing with a range of the Bush ranger ones. Let me know what you all think.

Glen is selling some through his site also.

Discounting battle of the forum sponsors...

:lol:
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4WD Supplies on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:14 pm

I have been looking at getting a range of compressors in and dealing with a number of companies. I can even buy the TJM one straight from the supplier and can sell them cheaper than you will find them in stores. :o

I found a fantastic unit that would suit my Red Dog Offroad brand but the guy wanted me to buy 300 of them and he had 2 sizes. :shock:

Most of the compressors these days, excluding ARB, Blue tongue etc are the same units. Just look in the 4wd action magazine for the compressor comparo and about 75% of them where the same unit with different stickers. :roll:
4WD Supplies

Air Compressor

Postby daryn on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:00 pm

I am now the proud owner of the Bushranger AirMax II Auto model.

Looking forward to compare to the old little Tjm jobby. Which by the way was rated pretty good in the comparos for its size.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Air Compressor

Postby Mongrel on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm a tight arse and plus my compressor will probably get used 2 times a year. Hence why I bought a CostCo model for $50. :)
Ain't Nothing Like a Mongrel. :twisted:
Mongrel

Postby Pkucha on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:30 pm

In that latest 4wd action comparo the Dr Air Pro Flo 150 got a really good overall result being one of the fastest even compared to much more expensive ones. (They stuffed the chart up in the middle of the article though mixed up times with another compressor) In the article it's listed as RRP of $299. I got one from Auto One for $229 after my supercheap one died after about 4 years, they didn't have it in stock but ordered it in for me. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but feels solid, pretty big unit 5kg, good quality hose and heaps of length. Was pretty happy with the SC one lasting as long as it did for the price.
Pkucha

Postby hotshot on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Cheers guys the 4wd drive and adventure show is in perth this w.e so ill see what happens. Am leaning toward the bush ranger mainly due to warrarnty
hotshot

Postby daryn on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:57 am

18psi to 40psi in 1min45sec by my testing.

Tyre - MT MTZ 265r75/17

Bushranger Auto-Max, this one has a trigger and a charged line as a feature over others.

IMG_0786.JPG

Purchased from Ultimate Suspension
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby motoz on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:43 am

Here's a bargain. It may suit someone.

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/90L- ... 18-11-2011

:)
Last edited by motoz on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:21 am

Set my tyre deflators yesterday, so used that time to test out my compressor again. Inflated the tyre from 18 to 42psi in about 2mins (excluding time it took me to stop it and check the pressure). Tyre is a BFG AT LT265/70R17.

Considering the price, I'm definitely happy with it. The warranty is a little dubious, but the build quality seems to be pretty good, and the carry handle gets a little warm. Only downside is you have to wait for the hose to cool down a bit before you can take it off the compressor without burning your fingers. Learnt that the hard way :lol:

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Air Compressor

Postby Crash486 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Crash486

Postby Bigbirdalx on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:53 pm

Time for a update i guess. Used the super cheap auto one. Unsure of brand claims 150 psi max. Clapped out after maybe 2-3 years of small-medium use. Replaced with tigerz11 thumper
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby brodical on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi guys for these of you that have on board air compressor and tank setups jst wondering what psi rating pressure switches your using ...I've orderd a 90/120 ...compressors I'm running are rated at 150 psi but as anyone gone higher??? Appriciate any info cheers..
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby Naff on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:50 pm

It might be rated at 150 but that's with minimal resistance. If you constantly work your compressor at 120 it will shorten its life. I'd stock with 90/120 or lower. I have 70/110.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion