Air Compressor

Anything Triton related

Re: Air Compressor

Postby brodical on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:07 pm

Yeah naff I see what your saying ..can you shed a bit of light on your setup and how long it takes to cutout at the 110???
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby Naff on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:13 am

Sure..

My setup is shown in the below picture. The compressor is stored in a box as part of my tub drawer setup. The pressure switch is shown in the bottom right of the photo. Follow the air line and you will see it goes out through the floor of the tub (yes I probably should put some silicon in there at some stage). I have a Nitto quick connection on the rear step (second photo). Click photos for full size.

Click to view larger picture

The switch is 70/110 psi. The compressor is a Boss Px7 (http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/p ... ts_id=5151). It wasn't cheap, but the best thing about it is 100% duty cycle which means I can run it continuously if I want to. Some of the cheaper brands only offer 25% duty cycle meaning you can only run them for 15 minutes before giving them a rest. If you get stuck doing your tyres and then all your mates, you're probably going to kill the compressor. Pretty sure this is what happened to my last compressor. :lol: The 9L air tank is located under the tub, mounted to the rear step frame.

Time wise - I just timed it to 110psi in 1 min 23 seconds. I also noted a leak in the box after this so suspect the time could be reduced a fair bit more (I need to replace a length of the nylon). If you go back to the second page of this topic I had some times for tyres from 18 to 36psi... I will have to compare the new compressor to what I was using back then.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Whereabouts is your one way valve in that setup?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Naff on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:22 pm

It's the first thing on the discharge of the compressor, before the first brass fitting.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brodical on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Looks good naff and thanks for tHe info when mines all done all put some details up...
brodical

Postby brodical on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:03 pm

And that compressor looks like a good bit of gear mate ...I'm runnen twin compressors so ill see how they go with the 90/120 if there worken to hard then I'll look for a smaller one...
brodical

Postby Naff on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:12 pm

The pressure in the line is the same no matter how many compressors you run - they will just run for less time. As I mentioned before, duty cycle is a key factor. Work out what you have with your compressors and just keep that in mind when running them.

Another thing I learnt with my first compressor was to use a circuit breaker instead of a fuse. The fuse holders tend to melt after time instead of the fuse blowing. Most compressors are upwards of 50A and most holders aren't designed for that current.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brodical on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Yeah I jst figured that by having two comps I'd be able to achieve the pressure in less time hense less strain on the comps ...I realize the the pressure will equalize throughout the system...my tanks about 15 l do ya reckon I'd be able to run a rattle gun for changen tyres or jst general bolts ect?? Do these type of tools need a specific psi to Work effective .?? Or am I asking a bit much of the system...??ideally I I'd like to run the minimum pressure I can to reduce the load but obviously still be effective....
brodical

Postby brodical on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:32 pm

L
brodical

Postby brodical on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Naff wrote:The pressure in the line is the same no matter how many compressors you run - they will just run for less time. As I mentioned before, duty cycle is a key factor. Work out what you have with your compressors and just keep that in mind when running them.

Another thing I learnt with my first compressor was to use a circuit breaker instead of a fuse. The fuse holders tend to melt after time instead of the fuse blowing. Most compressors are upwards of 50A and most holders aren't designed for that current.

Year they never put heavy enough wiring on the and the wiring gets hot....I'm re wiring mine from new with much heavier wire to help prevent this and I've got 6b&s running to them thrue a dual batt relay the I'm goin to trigger with the pressure switch...
brodical

Postby Naff on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:44 pm

brodie wrote:Yeah I jst figured that by having two comps I'd be able to achieve the pressure in less time hense less strain on the comps ...I realize the the pressure will equalize throughout the system...my tanks about 15 l do ya reckon I'd be able to run a rattle gun for changen tyres or jst general bolts ect?? Do these type of tools need a specific psi to Work effective .?? Or am I asking a bit much of the system...??ideally I I'd like to run the minimum pressure I can to reduce the load but obviously still be effective....

Tools will work with the pressure you can generate but the issue is the volume of air available. They might require 120psi and you can create 120psi, but you can only create it momentarily.

Compare what you have (air tank size) to one of those 40L+ units you get for around the home...

Short answer, you can use it but it won't be overly effective.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brodical on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Mm yep couple of shorts blips maybe with he rattle gun ......thanks naff....
brodical

Postby salt36 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:58 pm

brodie wrote:Mm yep couple of shorts blips maybe with he rattle gun ......thanks naff....

Go the cordless mate, I recently bought an 18volt rattle gun, makes life and wheel changing easy :D
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby brodical on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Yer I'd love one of those too...lol that's my problem I want one of everything ....
brodical

Postby brodical on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:02 pm

How much and what brand salt???
brodical

Postby salt36 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:06 pm

I paid $400 for a DeWalt.
The Milwaulke has more grunt and is more expensive but mine will only do up wheel nuts and does it well.
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby brodical on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Yer pricey compared to air lol....does it lock the wheel nuts off or do you still tweak with the wheel brace....?
brodical

Postby salt36 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 pm

I still use the wheel brace to tighten them, you can get an extension bar that will torque the wheel nuts correctly but I think I would still check them manually to be sure....
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby brodical on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:11 pm

Roger that...
brodical

Postby GadgetMN on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:19 am

Hi all!
Been reading the posts as my FIL is looking for a new compressor, but is looking for a different aspect.
At the moment, the bushranger is slightly ahead, but he's looking at the longevity of it. Primarily used on the farm with the tractor, but lives in the 4WD.

One that will sit for long periods of time unused, but fire up and be dependable when required. Anyone have any hints? Quality Over price in this case...

Cheers!
GadgetMN

Postby insomniac92 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi All,
I have one of the Aldi special 150lpm compressors mentioned on here a few times.
Can anyone tell me if I can use one of these type of tyre inflators with it or are they only designed to be used on larger compressors with big tanks?

Thanks
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brodical on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Yer more so with a tank setup mate...as it will hold the pressure until ya squeeze the trigger as appose to what the comp is supplied with which is not a closed fitting and jst free flows ...you could use it but it wouldn't be practical at all...and without a pressure switch in the setup it will jst build up pressure in the line unless you have it on ya tyre .......besides you'll have to sit there holding the whole time lol....
brodical

Postby insomniac92 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Yeah, that's what I was thinking the answer may be...
Thanks mate,
Cheers
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brodical on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:05 pm

No dramas mate
brodical

Postby Big Gee on Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:13 pm

Just a quick bump up for anyone looking for a compressor.

http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Camp-and-Hike/4WD/razorback-series-ii-compressor

Just picked one of these up from Anaconda this arvo. $130 in the sale. Loads of stock at the Kawana store.
Pumped up a 245/75/16 from dead flat to 40 psi in 2m20s. Made in China like most of the others but the box says 24 month warranty. Maybe worth a sqizz if ya looking for a cheapie.
Big Gee

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion