MN Drivers f e e d b a c k !

Anything Triton related

Re: MN Drivers Feedback!!

Postby garage-tuner on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:51 am

Whether the glass is clear or coloured has nothing to do with it's ability to provide protection from ultraviolet light.

The wave length of ultraviolet light is different to that of visible light. It is the difference in wave length that allows the clear glass to transmit visible light while at the same time reflecting ultraviolet light.

The addition of the colouring to the glass (as per the privacy glass on Triton) has an effect on the way the glass transmits visible light. It does not result in the glass being unable to provide protection from ultraviolet light.

When window tint film is added the same occurs, the layer of film changes the characteristics of how light (visible and ultraviolet) enters the vehicle. If the film is clear it will reduce the amount of ultraviolet light transmitted, if the film is coloured it will reduce both the visible and ultraviolet light transmitted.

I contacted the Customer Assistance Centre.
garage-tuner

Postby Cuetec on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:01 am

Is your conclusion, just boost the UV protection to the front windows?
Cuetec

Postby sierra on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:22 am

It's also so pretty clear after a few googles that laminated windscreens do block almost all UV, 99%+
sierra

Postby Cuetec on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:30 am

What would you do with the two front passenger door windows?
Cuetec

Postby sierra on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:38 am

Cuetec wrote:What would you do with the two front passenger door windows?

If you don't want tint you can get clear film that simply blocks the UV.
Just had mine tinted with 3M 35%, looks good but haven't tried night vision yet. Could always run them down at an intersection I suppose.
Because the Tritons are classed as commercial vehicles we can get 20% on the back window and rear door windows on the dual cabs. In WA anyway.
sierra

Postby Cuetec on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks for the info. Backing the Triton MN with a canopy is a bit of a worry. I have ordered a reversing camera.
Cheers
Cuetec

Postby Cuetec on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:46 am

I am a little frustrated with the position of the rear vision mirror on the MN. Has any one else found it blocks your vision. I think it would be much better if it were higher even attached to the roof just above the windscreen as in the Toyota. Can it be moved???
Cuetec

Postby Greedy on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:17 am

Cuetec wrote:I am a little frustrated with the position of the rear vision mirror on the MN. Has any one else found it blocks your vision. I think it would be much better if it were higher even attached to the roof just above the windscreen as in the Toyota. Can it be moved???

This was discussed ages ago. Check that the forward pivot point is as high as possible. The one closest to the windscreen is usually adjusted low after the apprentice took it for a test drive/pie run before you took delivery. ;) :lol: :roll:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cuetec on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:32 am

Thanks I will try that :P :
Cuetec

Postby snowman on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:53 pm

sierra wrote:It's also so pretty clear after a few googles that laminated windscreens do block almost all UV, 99%+

i wonder if this is why dashboards last longer nowadays. i always thought it was just because the plastics had much better UV protection. But it may be that they dont get anywhere near as much UV as older cars - or a combination of both.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:17 pm

snowman wrote:i wonder if this is why dashboards last longer nowadays. i always thought it was just because the plastics had much better UV protection. But it may be that they dont get anywhere near as much UV as older cars - or a combination of both.

I daresay the dash components are also UV stabilised. There's been a lot of work in this area over the past 10-15 years.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:01 pm

My son has a 15 year old Integra and the dash in the sun is still like new, black too so it must really cook.
It doesn't explain why someone here got burnt through the windscreen unless the laminate was not UV blocking grade?
sierra

Postby garage-tuner on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:31 am

sierra wrote:It doesn't explain why someone here got burnt through the windscreen unless the laminate was not UV blocking grade?

Yes, but maybe it was more through the side windows with their lower uv protection level (69% vs 100%)

Just for the record I have it on very good authority that the level of uv protection provided by the front window glass is severely reduced when the window is down...... ;)
garage-tuner

Postby Gasman on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Yes I can only agree. My new MN GXLR Dual Cab drives great, fuel economy on a recent drive was 8.7L/100Klm and not really trying. The super select gear box is smooth and the engine is reasonably quiet for a diesel and pulls well. Reverse parking is a problem as you just cannot see where the back ends and the hard bits start. I think the driverside mirror needs to be plain glass. I might look at a reversing camera. The red light dash at night takes a little getting used to. The only minor thing that is a bit annoying is a rattle left rear behind the driver and sound like the back seat nearside is loose. I've checked around and as yet have not found the source. Interestly a mate who has also just got his MN has the exact same rattle and he has'nt fixed it yet. Trouble is it only happens on a reasonable bump. Anyone else got the same problem and found the source? I'm looking for a canopy and Caddy retail a really good tradeline unit with side doors and rear window. We recently put one on a Mazda BT 4WD Ute, colour matched, looks and works great and you do not need additional support for a roof rack. Trouble is they don't have one for the MN yet. We have measured up and reckon the Mazda unit will fit but will be about 40-50mm high at the front. This may act like a scoop. Caddy are understandably a little reluctant but I should have some news shortly and will post the pics when and if it happens.
Gasman

Postby ag9111 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:47 pm

GAsman
Clip in the rear seatbelts. You might be surprised
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4bfrolic on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:05 pm

Gasman wrote: rattle left rear behind the driver and sound like the back seat nearside is loose. I've checked around and as yet have not found the source. Interestly a mate who has also just got his MN has the exact same rattle and he has'nt fixed it yet.

Yep, check the seat belt buckle on the rear seats - they hit plastic panel - train the kids to hang the buckles so they face the seat ....... took me a while........
4bfrolic

Postby Cuetec on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:52 pm

The new MN GLXR has behind the back seat what appear to be bolt holes for child restraints but no fittings attached. Can anyone tell me how to fit kids car seats and meet the legal requirements :?:
Cuetec

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:15 pm

you can buy the fitting and the relevant bolt anywhere you can buy child seats. It's a 5 minute job (at worst). No real legalities as far as I know although there are authorised fitting stations (in NSW anyway) who can issue you a certificate to say you've installed it correctly.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby quigs on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi all
haven't been on for a while but thought I would add a little to the drivers feedback thread.

15000 service this week, goes in for a new steering column next tuesday, has had a horrible clunk in it since my trip to Kangaroo island.

Hope this one lasts a little longer.

Quigs
quigs

Postby ahmo on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:37 am

the mn triton is great on the black stuff but its, but its eaven better in the bush
ahmo

Postby damo3442 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:32 am

:D ive got 4500 kms on my mn glxr and itd a great truck?,i tow a 2000kg + car trailer most weekends and it tows beautifully,turbo lag is a problem especially on a standing start hill start?i recently towed my racecar up to warwick for a meet and up the range it was great untill it lost all boost?i crawled up to the top to find it had a small vacum line fall off the wastegate which renders the car gutless and not alot of fun?I also had a small oily leak from the hot side of the intercooler?took it to the stealer and a gasket was replaced on the cooer were pipeing bolts to cooler as with the vacum line on the wastegate under warranty,they were very appoligetic and fixed it promtly, LOVE THAT CAR,? :roll: DAMO
damo3442

Postby sam on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:44 pm

Well I drove my first MN GLX-R auto the other day to see if it had the same diff whine as ours and guess what :roll: it does but at 80 kmh were as our is around 90 :cry:
Now they're telling us that it's a common trait of the triton and is normal :x :x

Found the auto to be VERY slow off the mark but good once up and running but I didn't think it was much queiter than our 3.2.
I liked the tiptronic shift for the auto as well but still like our ML better bar the diff whine ;)
sam

Postby pickle on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:37 pm

[quote="damo3442i crawled up to the top to find it had a small vacum line fall off the wastegate which renders the car gutless and not alot of fun?Ithey were very appoligetic and fixed it promtly, LOVE THAT CAR,? :roll: DAMO[/quote]

It's a hotfix!
Dave
pickle

Postby sms triton on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Had the same problem with my MN thie first time we went off road. Vac hose on the turbo came off and engine management light came on with half the power to run on. Spoke to the stealer and they were aware of the problem. Apparently the robot that fits the hose to engine was only putting it on 2-3mm vs the 12mm it was meant to. You would think they would fix the issue pre delivery if they knew it was a problem :twisted: .
sms triton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:27 pm

there's a hotline fix for this problem - I posted details in the hotline fix thread. they've come up with a little clip and some special glue to keep the hose on.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion