MN Drivers f e e d b a c k !

Anything Triton related

Re: MN Drivers Feedback!!

Postby Cuetec on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:53 am

Thanks Bammo for the thoughts but the 265/65/17 are not legal in Queensland. I will keep looking :roll:
Cuetec

Postby merlot21 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:26 am

merlot21 wrote:We bought our MN just before christmas very happy with it, we too find the mirrors abit strange and the parking, We ordered a ARB canopy which we bought home to install and found the we went to put the U channel to go across the front of the tray is too long has anyone else had this problem as now we have to wait until they open as we cannot install it pretty pissed at the moment about it.

Canopy is on now looks great very happy with it but if ever a next time someone else can install it
merlot21

Postby Cuetec on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:09 am

Good news from Yeppoon Re All Terrain Tyres for the 2010 GXLR MN Triton :D
The standard 245/65/17 road tyre can be replaced by a Bridgestone AT 255/65/17 D694 with a safety rating of 114S so legal in Queensland and the Insurance Co is happy. Queensland Transport have told me they are adopting the Victorian regulations on tyre and that will give us and others a huge range to choose from. The bad news is it could take up to 12 months to come into effect. :cry:
Cuetec

Postby QueenslandeR on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:38 pm

I knew 255/65's would fit and the Bridgestone A/T's seem to be a pretty good tyre.
QueenslandeR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:29 pm

this might be a stupid question but does anyone know what diameters the upper and lower bars of the stock MN nudge bar are?

I imagine I could measure the circumference and do some maths thing to find the answer but I figure one of you guys will jump straight in and say it's 75mm or whatever. I'm just looking into getting some of those stainless aerial mounts that look a bit like hose clamps and need to know which ones are going to fit.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby sierra on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:56 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:this might be a stupid question but does anyone know what diameters the upper and lower bars of the stock MN nudge bar are?

I imagine I could measure the circumference and do some maths thing to find the answer but I figure one of you guys will jump straight in and say it's 75mm or whatever. I'm just looking into getting some of those stainless aerial mounts that look a bit like hose clamps and need to know which ones are going to fit.

ML
Lower = 60mm
Upper = 75mm[good guess]
sierra

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:41 am

sierra wrote: ML
Lower = 60mm
Upper = 75mm[good guess]

and there you have it, I knew someone would know.

thanks Sierra, much obliged. Now, more shopping for toys to do...

Cowboy Dave

Postby garage-tuner on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:58 am

[quote="Steane"]Rear courtesy tint is just coloured glass and offers no UV protection, its actually quite dangerous that folks (with kids) don't all realise that. Getting the rears tinted so you get the UV protection is the way to go.quote]

I'm afraid that this is incorrect. When I checked with Mitsubishi about this issue, they informed me that the privacy glass provides 95% UV protection. Maybe the window tint company doesn't want you to know this! ;)
garage-tuner

Postby g_mac on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:13 pm

Actually I too have been told (by the Mitsubishi Dealer) that the privacy glass in the rear doesn't offer any UV protection - that it is just a dye they put in the windows. I purchased the dealer tint and they are doing darkest legal (Diamond Tech Stealth Tint) on the front 2 windows and putting a clear film (Diamond Tech Vista Tint) over the back 2 windows for the UV protection - both offer 99.9% UV protection. I bought it as part of their Shield pack so not sure of the individual price for tinting.

With the 15mm diameter difference we're restricted to in Qld, according to http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp the 2 tyre sizes we can increase to seem to be 255/65R17 (14mm increase) or 275/60R17 (12mm increase), but I'm buggered if I can find anything in the 2nd configuration.

With the 255/65R17 the 2 tyre choices I've been considering were either the Bridgestone D694 A/T or the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs - both of which were in (I think) the top 3 All Terrain tyres when 4WD Action did a test a while back (Pirelli won overall). From what I've been reading, Fourby's in Moorooka may do trade-in for your factory tyres, but I'm just waiting to hear back (emailed today).

Also there have been heaaaps of threads on various forums regarding the Qld Transport adopting the other State's rulings with the tyres etc. but by the sounds of it, it keeps being pushed back year after year and there sounds to be just as much possibility it will go the other way, so I guess you need to weigh up whether it's worth waiting for these rules to come in (if they do) before upgrading your tyres.

I also hit the dealer up about the new Tritons needing engineer's reports for every tyre/suspension etc modification and he said it sounded ridiculous and not true, then again I was just about to put a deposit down on mine, so I couldn't be 100% sure I was getting the right answer :lol:
2010 MN GLXR... I shall call her 'Tray-cey'

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
g_mac

Postby QueenslandeR on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:48 pm

I too have heard that the rear privacy glass isn't UV protect, looks like someone at Mitsu was tellin porkys. Looks like you went the same as me with the pack g_mac. With the tyes i went with bridgestones, but those Scorpion ATRs look the goods too. Went into ARB today for a price on the new canopy, asked the boys there about lifting the triton and if there were any problems with it being illegal because of the ESC, they said they'd do it no worries and it would be all legal. Is this rule in QLD or not ?? :shock:
QueenslandeR

Postby snowman on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:26 pm

is there some way to resolve the rear window UV debate.

i was about to get my fronts done and if no UV on the rears i will get it done........
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:30 pm

there's a post here somewhere from OldManGrump that deals with this. I found it a minute ago but then got some nasty server error messages. The thread was titled something like privacy glass.

Anyway he said (as best I recall it) that the rear panel is something called Galaxsee and the sides are EZ-Kool, both made by what was then Pilkington but has changed since. If you search each brand and pilkington with google you'll get some info about them.

The pdf I was just reading called them both solar control glasses and the rear panel cuts 95% of UV and lots of heat, blah, blah, blah. EZ-Kool harder to find details with google.

Actually forget all that, I found the post again: http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=521&p=7762#p7762

Cowboy Dave

Postby Bammo on Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:16 am

The MN rears are definately NOT UV protected...
Bammo

Postby MN GLXR on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:20 am

Just wear sunscreen while driving :lol: :lol: :lol:
MN GLXR

Postby garage-tuner on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:23 pm

I can tell you without doubt that the privacy glass rear windows in the Triton provide UV protection.
In fact, I was informed that all of the window glass in the Triton provides UV protection.
I didn’t talk to a dealer, when I asked I went to Mitsubishi directly.

They told me the following:
- Front windscreen = 100%
- Front doors = 69%
- Rear doors (privacy glass) = 95%
- Rear windows (privacy glass) = 95%

NB - I would assume that the non privacy glass door glass and rear window glass would be 69% UV protection like the front door glass.

Feel free to contact Mitsubishi directly and ask if you want :)
garage-tuner

Postby Cuetec on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:46 pm

Your report on the Triton MN glass is correct!
Thanks garage-turner
Cuetec

Postby Bammo on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:54 pm

Well, someone is clearly telling porky pies here. I spoke to Tint a Car and to the dealer and they both categorically stated that the privacy glass has NO UV protection. What's more, I have been badly sunburnt through the windshield so how can that provide 100% UV protection? Especially as it is clear, I didn't think clear glass could provide UV protection?

Who was it you spoke to at Mitsu garage turner? If it turns out the dealer lied to me I want my money back on the extra UV sheets they attached to the rear doors...
Bammo

Postby sierra on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Bammo wrote:Well, someone is clearly telling porky pies here. I spoke to Tint a Car and to the dealer and they both categorically stated that the privacy glass has NO UV protection. What's more, I have been badly sunburnt through the windshield so how can that provide 100% UV protection? Especially as it is clear, I didn't think clear glass could provide UV protection?

Who was it you spoke to at Mitsu garage turner? If it turns out the dealer lied to me I want my money back on the extra UV sheets they attached to the rear doors...

My latest glasses are clear but also block 99% of the UV so the the tint doesn't block the UV, just the visible light.
sierra

Postby myglxr on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:47 pm

I went to the sun smart website....

"In the car
Cars generally provide good protection. But while the laminated windscreen provides complete protection, the sun's ultraviolet (UV) radiation can still enter the car through the side and back windows. You can still get sunburnt when in the car for a long time.
Wearing sunscreen in the car is the best way to prevent sunburn. Babies and toddlers can be protected with a window shade visor. Driving sleeves can be purchased from the Cancer Council shop.
Window tinting
Clear or tinted films added to side windows can reduce the amount of UV entering the car. The amount of protection varies between different window tinting products so check with the supplier.
Suppliers should tell you the ultraviolet protection factor or UPF rating of a product. Sometimes it is given as a percentage of how much UV is absorbed. Products with a rating of UPF 50+ or close to 100% provide excellent protection"
myglxr

Postby Steane on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:20 pm

garage-tuner wrote:I can tell you without doubt that the privacy glass rear windows in the Triton provide UV protection.
In fact, I was informed that all of the window glass in the Triton provides UV protection.
I didn’t talk to a dealer, when I asked I went to Mitsubishi directly.

They told me the following:
- Front windscreen = 100%
- Front doors = 69%
- Rear doors (privacy glass) = 95%
- Rear windows (privacy glass) = 95%

NB - I would assume that the non privacy glass door glass and rear window glass would be 69% UV protection like the front door glass.

Feel free to contact Mitsubishi directly and ask if you want :)

There is no way that the windscreen blocks 100% of uv. Lets through 100% UV maybe. I've had the burns to prove it. Same with the side windows.

But if you believe this then you'll save $265 on tinting I guess. That's a positive :?
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:53 pm

:? :? :? - ok does anyone work in an industry with some sort of UV meter to prove any of this?

myglxr wrote:I went to the sun smart website....

" Driving sleeves can be purchased from the Cancer Council shop. "
:o :o

for fox sake who would wear these!!!!! The embarrassment would kill you before the UV. :oops: :roll:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gregned on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:36 pm

Dick smith sell a cheap uv meter it doesn't give numbers just has a scale extreeme moderate etc
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby Dylan 191 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:44 pm

snowman wrote::? :? :? - ok does anyone work in an industry with some sort of UV meter to prove any of this?

myglxr wrote:I went to the sun smart website....

" Driving sleeves can be purchased from the Cancer Council shop. "
:o :o

for fox sake who would wear these!!!!! The embarrassment would kill you before the UV. :oops: :roll:

Maybe they mean the sleeves for the windows :lol: ;)
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby Homer on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:13 am

To save on the expense of the sleeves I just keep a pair of long trousers handy and when I feel hot I just pull them over my arms....you can do the belt up around your chest to hold them there :idea:

:? sounds like the same type of advice as that fuel consumption thread chick magnet posted up.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby myglxr on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:36 am

Homer wrote:To save on the expense of the sleeves I just keep a pair of long trousers handy and when I feel hot I just pull them over my arms....you can do the belt up around your chest to hold them there :idea:

:? sounds like the same type of advice as that fuel consumption thread chick magnet posted up.

You really are Homer aren't you! :lol:
myglxr

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion