The Winch Thread

Anything Triton related

The Winch Thread

Postby Tony on Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:53 am

We now have a canopy and bull bar thread so thought it would be good to have a winch thread.
As many others I'm now in the market for a reliable winch that will get the job done if needed.

So lets see what you all have and whats good and bad in comparison. Water proof,Duty cycle, No load speed etc.

Tony
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Re: The Winch Thread

Postby gregned on Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:24 pm

I'm interested in the tigerz 11 winch anyone had any experiences with it?
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby Wallace on Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

The wench I have mounted failed after a couple of years............................ :lol: :lol: Sorry just read the post again and it said " WINCH " 8-)
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby Homer on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:08 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby B dust on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 am

I run an Ionrman 9500lb winch and it has been great I had to winch 3 vehicles up 200m of steep slippery hill in the Mount Cole area. It did it without even getting hot as i could hold my hand on the motor after several hours of winching. A hand throttle would have been great as a mates missus had to sit in the ute and keep the revs up to keep the power up to the batteries. Any problems with them they are more than happy to help yuo out.
B dust

Postby snowman on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:04 pm

Wallace wrote:The wench I have mounted failed after a couple of years............................ :lol: :lol: Sorry just read the post again and it said " WINCH " 8-)

YOUR'E ON FIRE WALLACE....... :lol: :lol: :lol: an image i can't get out of my head though ...... anyway...

to keep on topic the Premier winch won the recent (maybe 6-12 months ago) winch comparo with 4x4 action. it is priced about halfway between the cheaper (ironman, avenger, etc) and the expensive Warn models.

The company that did all my barwork refuse to install anything except for Warn based on problems over the years. In my opinion i would love one but they seem to be a bit high maintenance, so get it only if you are going to use it.

i must admit i am becoming a bit more likely to 4wd by myself in coming years and i think it is probably a must when you do that (depending on terrain of course).

if you want to run synthetic you need an external drum brake. The avenger does for one of the cheaper models....
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby VALERIO on Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:29 am

I've the warn 9,5 XP with the M.O.S.F.E.T control wich is electronically controlled (solenoid free) i'm really happy whith it, i just had problems with humidity after a trip whith many river and mud holes crossing (at the motor contactors).
VALERIO

Postby al coholic on Wed May 05, 2010 6:50 pm

Guys, I picked up a Warn xd9000 winch yesterday 2nd hand, which was too good to refuse for the price we agreed upon :D
I am after some pics of anyone that has one mounted, i want to see how the control box is mounted. Interested to see if there is a specific way it has to be mounted or not, as it didnt come with any instruction book or user manual. I have browsed shed profiles and been surfing the net, and there seems to be a fair few variations on the way people have them sitting on top of the bar. A few have them standing up on edge, a few sitting flat on the bar etc. The winch i got came off a navara with a factory bar and the box was just jammed up against the grill on a slight angle, and my TJM bar seems to be a little different mounting wise, 99.9% sure the winch fits, the problem is the box as i dont think i have much play between the spotties, so i suppose the question is, Is there a specific way the box must be mounted or can i place it so it just looks good etc...............any help appreciated. Cheers. :)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby daryn on Wed May 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Al, as long as the cables reach there is no specific reason to have the box specifically located if you get what I mean by that, the control box could flop around and it does not stop the winch from working.

My bar had specific holes for the control box to be bolted to to it.

As long as you can get to plug in the controller easy all should be good. I can put my pics up here if you want or just check the shed or my buildup thread.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby ag9111 on Wed May 05, 2010 7:54 pm

BWS
See if you can mount it inside the bar or in front of the battery. Somebody on here has done the bar thing, but I cant remember who. Out of the weather and out of sight 1 for airflow and 2 they look ugly.
Picking up my ARB bar tomorrow and will be fitting the Terrain Tamer 9500lb water proof winch to it. Will tell how it goes
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Wed May 05, 2010 8:40 pm

Cheers guys. Thanks for that.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby jason on Thu May 06, 2010 8:16 am

I have a tjm ox winch on mine, I have only used it once and i have had it for 12 months now so i cant comment too much on it but it pulled the truck and trailer up a slippery muddy hill with no drama,s.
there isnt much room behind the bar for it though,its a tight fit. I got tjm to fit it as their bar had to come off to fit it!
jason

Postby contact on Fri May 07, 2010 3:53 am

xd9000 - got to wonder if they are worth it... all ive done is pull a troopy out of a bog ... should ahve seen the triton 'kneel :lol: :lol: '
contact

Postby al coholic on Fri May 07, 2010 4:26 pm

I think it is worth it considering i only paid 500 bucks for a 3year old winch used once. ;) :D If it only gives me peace of mind when out with the wife and kids to know we can always get home again, it will definately be worth it.

And if i only pull out Toyota's when i go out in the bush, then so be it. That can be my boy scout good deed for the day :lol: :lol:
al coholic

Postby UAV on Wed May 12, 2010 7:30 pm

i am also interested in the tigerz11 due to the fact that they have rope which will reduce weight and obviously the price, considering i will only use it a few times a year and it has a 3yr warranty i think that will be good enough for me. But i did want to know about relocating the control box that is mounted on top as i am planning on getting an arb sahara bar and it looks a bit cluttered with the box there. How difficult is it to relocate the box and where would you put it?
UAV

The Winch Thread

Postby daryn on Wed May 12, 2010 8:53 pm

Uav, I have the sahara bar, all is good with mounting it on the bar as you may see in my shed or buildup pics.

Don't forget avenger with the mako winches.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby UAV on Thu May 13, 2010 6:16 am

i didnt know they had a rope version. just looked it up and it looks pretty good @ $895. but no remote
UAV

The Winch Thread

Postby daryn on Thu May 13, 2010 6:25 am

A remote is just a fancy extra used every blue moon which could have it's own problems.

The Mako is big in the UK for google research, and talk to avenger for an update.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby rushie347 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:03 pm

Has anybody got a tigerz 11? and how does it go. Does it just bolt into a ARB bar?
rushie347

Postby Try-it-on on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Mannell Motors say they can't fit a Tigerz11 into an ARB bar, but Tigerz11 rep on another forum says that they haven't found a bar yet that it won't fit. So either Mannell are so keen to sell me a Warn instead, that they'll lie about it, or there's some other confusion. I know they knew I meant the 12K single speed, because they detailed that in the same quote the line above where they say they can't fit it.

So would REALLY like to know if anyone has actually fitted one.
I love Terra Firma - the less firmer the more terror.
Try-it-on

Postby rushie347 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:17 pm

Gotta love sales man dont ya, i think they are there just to make you confused.
rushie347

Postby JamoGLXR on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Does anyone have any crossbreed combinations? Such as a TJM ox winch in an ARB bar?
I'm about to invest and I'm liking the Ox's low current draw
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby Snooozy on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:01 pm

I have an Avenger Mako on an ARB Commercial bar.

Only used it once to pull a 2wd from sand-could have towed it, but it was a good excuse to use my winch. ;)

Can't comment on how long it will last, but after talking to Jess (Avenger)it seems like a decent winch & at the price I could not justify a Warn.

If I was doing it again I would go synthetic line to save weight.

The only problem I had was the fair-lead, the supplied one did not fit & I managed to get a Warn fairlead at a good price from fleabay. This would not be a problem if you went synthetic.

I would also recommend fitting a power isolator on the battery lead, I used a removable key type mounted under the bonnet.
I heard some disturbing stories of some hoodlums releasing the cable break & hooking the cable under the car, to the tow bar. They then shorted the switch contacts resulting in bent chassis. :x
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MR09GLXR on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:20 pm

B dust wrote:I run an Ionrman 9500lb winch and it has been great I had to winch 3 vehicles up 200m of steep slippery hill

3 cars 200m off the ironman's 30m 8ml cable = 600m of winching which means you must have run your full spool of cable at least 20 times as 5 to 8 coils stay on the spool... This is an astounding feat that most competition winch's could not do. That added fact you did this up hill leaves me speech lees.
I also have an ironman winch, and now love it.
Last edited by MR09GLXR on Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'M NOT SMART.......BUT I CAN LIFT HEAVY THINGS.
MR09GLXR

Postby ag9111 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:44 pm

JamoGLXR wrote:Does anyone have any crossbreed combinations? Such as a TJM ox winch in an ARB bar?
I'm about to invest and I'm liking the Ox's low current draw

Terrain Tamer 9500lb into an ARB bar, not a problem. All low nount winchs now have the same bolt pattern for mounting so they should be all interchangeable. I'm sure there may be one or two that are different but all the big names are the same
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to General Discussion