MN Traction control

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

MN Traction control

Postby dozerguts on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows how the traction control on the mn works? I have a glr and one of the major reasons for buying a triton was because of tc, after owning a discovery i know how good it can work in the bush. The disco just grabs the spinning wheel with the brake keeping you moving, where the triton takes control of the throttle (backing off, slowing you down and losing momentum). If you turn off the asc button does it also turn the tc of? if so its system is a little disapointing.
how will ya know if ya don't have a go?
dozerguts

Re: MN Traction control

Postby Tony on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:22 pm

dozerguts wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows how the traction control on the mn works? I have a glr and one of the major reasons for buying a triton was because of tc, after owning a discovery i know how good it can work in the bush. The disco just grabs the spinning wheel with the brake keeping you moving, where the triton takes control of the throttle (backing off, slowing you down and losing momentum). If you turn off the asc button does it also turn the tc of? if so its system is a little disapointing.

There is two forms of TC. One like The Land Rover that applies the brake the the spinning wheel and the OVERATED Triton if it has slip on one side kill the rpm. Turn it off and get a locker if you want to go anywhere off road :twisted:
I think its a good thing on wet black top of ice though :D
Last edited by Tony on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jimmy on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:25 pm

i havnt driven one but watchin ahmo going thru ormeau the other week was very impressive
after Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF
jimmy

Postby dozerguts on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:01 pm

so tc on the triton does not use brakes at all ? didnt think it worked as good as the discos.
dozerguts

Postby Tony on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:11 pm

dozerguts wrote:so tc on the triton does not use brakes at all ? didnt think it worked as good as the discos.

Correct. Hence why they offered the factory diff lock as an option.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dozerguts on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:15 pm

be good if they had factory diff lock on the front wouldnt that work better on a ute?
dozerguts

Postby jop on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:16 pm

Depends what you're driving
jop

Postby Tony on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:21 pm

dozerguts wrote:be good if they had factory diff lock on the front wouldnt that work better on a ute?

Think not, be hard to handle and you would blow CV's and front diffs if used in anger.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bendoon on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:25 pm

MN TC does use the brakes to stop wheels from spinning and it works better then just one rear diff lock. It is true that the throttle is controled too.
bendoon

Postby StoneJones on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:26 pm

Not sure your 100% right on the wheel braking side .

The brochure under the ATC section say;

"Helps maintain traction in the most slippery or rugged of surfaces.This intelligent system automatically controls the engine output,so driving wheels are prevented from spinning"
"sensing loss of traction in an independent wheel , it applies braking force to that wheel and sends extra power and torque to the other wheels with traction to keep you moving"

Diff locks are also an option on the Discovery.
StoneJones

Postby dozerguts on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:34 pm

so it must use the brakes to (apply braking force) but it is when it cuts the throttle and you lose your momentum that annoys me.
dozerguts

Postby dozerguts on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:39 pm

jop wrote:Depends what you're driving

are we not all driving the same ute?
dozerguts

Postby jop on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:41 pm

What terrain you are driving. ;)
jop

Postby Tony on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:42 pm

StoneJones wrote:Not sure your 100% right on the wheel braking side .

The brochure under the ATC section say;

"Helps maintain traction in the most slippery or rugged of surfaces.This intelligent system automatically controls the engine output,so driving wheels are prevented from spinning"
"sensing loss of traction in an independent wheel , it applies braking force to that wheel and sends extra power and torque to the other wheels with traction to keep you moving"

Diff locks are also an option on the Discovery.

It's fugin useless off road I can assure you :evil: I got in some damp grass, slightly crossed up, died in the arse and had no chance. Turned it off and we were away with some momentum. Seems to me that they haven't got it right. Or is something wrong with my MN? I do find it very good on wet black top and ice though.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bendoon on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:50 pm

It's fugin useless off road I can assure you I got in some damp grass, slightly crossed up, died in the arse and had no chance. Turned it off and we were away with some momentum. Seems to me that haven't got it right. Or is something wrong with my MN? I find it very good in wet black top and ice though.

Thats why they have a off button. Also stability control was probly cutting in.
bendoon

Postby StoneJones on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:21 pm

I was under the impression that you could turn the stability Control off , not the traction control .
StoneJones

Postby Still-Lurking on Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:45 pm

If this is the same traction control and the NT Pajero (??) you should be happy.

I have the factory diff lock as well as the TC on my Pajero and have found (in general) the TC is more effective.

It surprised me how good the TC is off-road and well done to Mitsubishi for being the first to put it on a ute.
Still-Lurking

Postby ronnieq on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:52 am

Hi guys ,I am just wondering if we are clear here on ASC (has an on /off switch) and ATC as I was finding the thread a little hard to follow . ASC is to control the car in an emergency when using aggressive steering inputs to avoid an obstacle it senses pitch and roll and applies braking force to compensate and should be turned off in the bush ,although the dealer reckons leave it on for descending big hills .We all know what traction control (ATC) does and now how it works , it definitely isn't selectable for on/ off though. All said I still haven't taken my new Triton off road yet so this thread is interesting . Regards Ronnie Q
I asked an old bike racer once "When I grow up if I could ride motorcyles ?" He said "You can't do both young fella !"
ronnieq

Postby Homer on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:27 am

From what I've seen the TC on the MN works really well when crawling - don't know about mud, but would assume all TC's wouldn't be fantastic in the mud as all wheels are always spinning - so the brakes would virtually be on. Combined with engine power modification, mightn't be great?

I would be very surprised if they DIDN'T use brakes on all versions of modern TC - maybe Tritons also use the power method in conjunction, but would almost certainly use brakes.

The one I saw crawling was exceptional - and the driver was adamant that it was better than a locker - at least for that type of work. He also has a locker - and doesn't use it because it disables TC and he gets stuck....

He also had a locked and muddy shod ML that his stock HT shod MN out performs using TC....again could be when mainly crawling though.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby ahmo on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:34 am

I go 4wd every weekend i have a mn with diff lock which i never use coz the traction control is doing the job just fine, if all 4 wheels are in mud the traction control is better than diff lock coz all 4 wheels are spining,
you have to turn the ASC control off so the computer doesen't retard the throtle, when you turn on the diff lock it automaticly turns of the traction control and active stability control.
the mn triton is a weapon in the bush, don't blame the car coz you dont know how to drive it.
ahmo

Postby Still-Lurking on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:21 am

FWIW, if you have the factory diff lock in, the TC system is turned off.

Best of both worlds.
Still-Lurking

Postby dozerguts on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:57 pm

ahmo wrote:I go 4wd every weekend i have a mn with diff lock which i never use coz the traction control is doing the job just fine, if all 4 wheels are in mud the traction control is better than diff lock coz all 4 wheels are spining,
you have to turn the ASC control off so the computer doesen't retard the throtle, when you turn on the diff lock it automaticly turns of the traction control and active stability control.
the mn triton is a weapon in the bush, don't blame the car coz you dont know how to drive it.

i can drive ok i think :? my mn does not have diff lock as they could not get me one befor the end of last year although i was considering wether or not getting arb lockers, but if the traction control works as good as the disco i would not need to i was leaving the asc on in the bush i thought it would turn the traction control off as well.
dozerguts

Mine had a fault!

Postby Tony on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:49 pm

Have just discovered mine was faulty :shock: Took it to the stealer today and now all sorted :D What a diference. Even with a wheel lifted it now keeps on going. Do me fine as not a comp vehicle.
Last edited by Tony on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dozerguts on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:11 pm

what was the fault?
dozerguts

Postby dozerguts on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:13 pm

i will put a wheel in the air tomorrow at work on a heap of dirt and test the traction control with the asc switch off to make sure it is working.
dozerguts

Next

Return to Drive Train Components