Reversing sensor/camera

Anything Triton related

Reversing sensor/camera

Postby CathiM on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Seems I should have done something more about getting a reversing sensor or camera installed on my MN GLXR than just think about it, as I now have to do that and get the damage done last week repaired :(

Have searched for threads on sensors/cameras but couldn't find anything recent, so wanted to know who has what, how much did it cost etc?

Cheers,

Cathi
CathiM

Re: Reversing sensor/camera

Postby Tony on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:16 pm

Do you have the MMCS? If so, easy and very neat.. A lancer reverseing camera kit will do and is quite cheap. Few of us have them now. I also have a parking sensor kit here, but havnt bothered fitting as have an ARB bar now :twisted:

If you have no joy here, I'll dig the threads up latter :)

Cheers Tony
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tritanic on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:22 pm

If you have the MMCS (Mitsi Multi Communication System) you can buy the camera that fits into that unit and it will work once you select reverse. Camera kit from Mitsubishi is about $550 and not sure how much to have it installed.
OR
You can do what I did.
Buy a GPS type unit off ebay that has an AV in port ( $100 to $300 ish) and also buy a small camera that plugs into the AV port (about $20 on Ebay + extra cable to reach inside to the GPS unit $10) and connect them together.
Tritanic

Postby izzy74 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Hi CathiM,

I have a genuine reversing camera that I had fitted before I picked up the vehicle. From memory it was around $850 fitted. The screen is a little small as it is the rear view mirror type setup, but the picture is excellent and covers around 160 degrees from the number plate. It has already payed for itself numerous times when trying to reverse in tight areas as well as saved me from reversing over one of the neighbours children who rode their push bike behind me when I was reversing out my driveway :? . I would recommend this camera though there are cheaper alternatives.

Regards

Izzy 8-)
izzy74

Postby Lark68 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:17 pm

I was quoted about $1200 from the stealer :o and looking at the units on the display board, they were the ones that clip over the mirror. The local Le Tint store has the mirror replacement systems for $550.

Reversing sensors will also help, but don't go down that path if you're looking at changing the factory rear step with an ARB (or equiv) one as they are not compatible with the sensors... though I think I saw somewhere that the ones on the new LandCruiser are.

I still need to have the stealer remove the rest of the reversing sensor system that they installed and get my $$$ back from them as the salesman ensured me the ARB step could still use the sensors. I miss the sensors and now looking around for a camera system myself. Seen some on Ebay for $150 - $250 but wondering if I might be better off just paying the extra $$$ and going to Le Tint and take advantage of the warranty and let them crawl around under the truck the install it.
MN GLXR
Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.
Lark68

Postby NitroGLXRin on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:39 am

Im looking at doing this too. So far I like the flip out TV / stereo head unit which would replace the stock cd player. Then just a $50 camera off ebay. For a good head unit looking at around the $800. But I think this would be the best looking than just another mounted screen on the dash. I want to keep the info centre thingy, hence a motorised flip tv instead of those double size tv's (like the size MMCS one).
NitroGLXRin

Postby Tony on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:46 am

I just used the search function and with lancer then camera got these.....

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=%2Blancer++

Then reversing camera..........
search.php?keywords=reversing+camera&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Lancer camera should be around $100 and does fit. Just have to modify the bracket thingy so it fits correctly.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:17 am

I just had a polaris camera system fitted over the weekend, the camera is a 170 degree wide angle and the screen is a 7" slim LCD that attaches to the back of the driver side visor and folds away when not needed and can't be seen. I looked at the rear view mirror replacement units but did not like the vision when using as a normal mirror.

Cost me $700 fitted (newcastle pro sound) but well and truly worth it. I had the guys wire it up so I push a button to turn on/off when ever I want it, but can be rigged to auto activate when in reverse if you prefer it that way.

I will post some pics later.
biggibbo

Postby NitroGLXRin on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:46 am

Just had a look at the Repco Catalogue and they have a Jensen 7" motorised tv / head unit for $399. Reverse camera for an extra $99.

Just got to have a closer look at the car and see if it will hit the auto shifter or obstruct buttons on the centre dash when its open.

$500 aint bad for this setup if you ask me! Sale ends 05 SEP.

PS: I dont work for REPCO
NitroGLXRin

Reversing sensor/camera

Postby daryn on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:12 pm

My kenwood goes no where near the shifter but I can adjust the angle so that it does not hit the dash when upright.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby NitroGLXRin on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Yeh I looked at your photos a while ago. Little bit different configuration in the new MN's now though. Hope it gets a similar result to what you have.
NitroGLXRin

Postby brownegaz on Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:24 pm

I fitted a Polaris system myself, cost from memory about $500 for a windscreen mounted display and infrared camera, happy with result.
brownegaz
brownegaz

Postby CathiM on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:07 pm

Thanks for all the comments :D

Please keep them coming if there are any more.

In the meantime I'll do some research and will keep the post updated on what I find out and end up getting.

Cheers,
CathiM

Postby biggibbo on Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Heres the pics of my Set-up
Click to view larger picture
biggibbo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:05 pm

That looks better than I was expecting. How thick/thin is the screen? Looks pretty thin?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby biggibbo on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:18 am

Screen is 7-8mm
biggibbo

Postby NitroGLXRin on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:28 am

whats the details of that??????

how much, model, supplier etc?
NitroGLXRin

Postby biggibbo on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:56 am

I got mine from Newcastle Pro Sound for $700 installed.

The screen is a Polaris CM-V2 and I got the 130 degree camera which fits above the number plate out of the way and water/mud.

Look polaris up on the net @ www.polarisrearvision.com.au/ and look under where to buy to find your local distributor

(I have no affilliation with this company or any distributors)

Cheers
Gibbo
biggibbo

Postby ozi4me on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi Cathi, sorry to read of your unwanted expense! I have had the same problem and your post reminded me to do something about it.
Auto barn have a great reversing camera option on special in their new catalogue, $199.00 and around $100.00 to fit same. It simply clips over your existing rear view mirror, cable is run from top of mirror into roof lining etc.
Its a cheap and simple outcome for anyone who doesnt have BLOODY TINTED WINDOWS!!
Hope members have a better outcome as its a good setup,
ozi
ozi4me

Postby CathiM on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks Biggibbo. Looks like a good setup. Whereabouts did you have the camera mounted? How much vision do you get? Can you see the corners of the car?
CathiM

Postby biggibbo on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Camera is mounted up above the number plate next to the number plate lights. can't quite see the corners (misses by about 2 inches) but gives me the visibility I need. Different cameras and different mounting points will give differing visibility.
I'll get some photos tomorrow of the camera and the visibility and post them up.
biggibbo

Postby CathiM on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:04 pm

Here's what I've decided to go with:

Butterfly mount CMOS camera (170 degree vision)
http://optionaudio.com/specs/OABCAM.pdf

9" replacement visor screen
http://optionaudio.com/lcd_screens_oa9SV.php

It's all being done by Autobarn who did the canopy for me recently. They are going to put the camera just above the LED brake light on the top of the canopy. Being up high it gives great vision of the entire width of the back - even out beyond the corner edges (which is where I need it the most :oops: ). They're going to do the wiring the same as they did before, allowing the canopy to be removed if we want/need to.

Decided on the visor screen as the rear view mirror ones are very dark and with two sets of tinting to look through (rear window & then canopy window) daylight already looks like night so really couldn't afford to lose any more visibility.

Autobarn were wonderfully helpful, even connecting the camera up temporarily so that I could see the end result and decide on the position I wanted for the camera. (I am not affiliated with them in any way other than being a very satisfied customer!!)

Will post pics etc once the instal is done next week.
CathiM

Postby mjwilmo on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:40 pm

Looks good CathiM, how much $$ did that gear set you back?

CathiM wrote:Here's what I've decided to go with:

Butterfly mount CMOS camera (170 degree vision)
http://optionaudio.com/specs/OABCAM.pdf

9" replacement visor screen
http://optionaudio.com/lcd_screens_oa9SV.php

It's all being done by Autobarn who did the canopy for me recently. They are going to put the camera just above the LED brake light on the top of the canopy. Being up high it gives great vision of the entire width of the back - even out beyond the corner edges (which is where I need it the most :oops: ). They're going to do the wiring the same as they did before, allowing the canopy to be removed if we want/need to.

Decided on the visor screen as the rear view mirror ones are very dark and with two sets of tinting to look through (rear window & then canopy window) daylight already looks like night so really couldn't afford to lose any more visibility.

Autobarn were wonderfully helpful, even connecting the camera up temporarily so that I could see the end result and decide on the position I wanted for the camera. (I am not affiliated with them in any way other than being a very satisfied customer!!)

Will post pics etc once the instal is done next week.
mjwilmo

Postby CathiM on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:18 pm

mjwilmo wrote:Looks good CathiM, how much $$ did that gear set you back?

Ouch ...... $610 installed. Would have been $580 except for the special wiring to allow canopy removal.

Sounds a lot but fixing the scratch that I never even knew I did cost almost as much so figure it's a good investment :?

BTW, like your bike. Which one is it? I've got an F800ST.
CathiM

Postby mjwilmo on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:35 pm

CathiM wrote:
mjwilmo wrote:Looks good CathiM, how much $$ did that gear set you back?

Ouch ...... $610 installed. Would have been $580 except for the special wiring to allow canopy removal.

Sounds a lot but fixing the scratch that I never even knew I did cost almost as much so figure it's a good investment :?

BTW, like your bike. Which one is it? I've got an F800ST.

Yep, it's an F800ST.. just had a new exhaust installed also, sounds much better.

Too many toys, not enough money :cry:
mjwilmo

Next

Return to General Discussion