DON’T LET THE GOVERNMENT BAN 4WDING!

Anything Triton related

DON’T LET THE GOVERNMENT BAN 4WDING!

Postby ratstriton on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:13 pm

Last edited by ratstriton on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Re: DON’T LET THE GOVERNMENT BAN 4WDING!FROM 4WD driva actio

Postby tassie_ml on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:16 pm

lets be clear on this, the NSW Govt wants to legislate against modifying suspension heights on all cars???

I dont agree with it, its wrong in so many ways but for 4wd Action to come out and say they want to ban 4wding is misleading and really isnt any help to the 4wd fraternity, it just makes 'us' look stupid with a misleading title...

just my 2c worth
Last edited by tassie_ml on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Re: DON’T LET THE GOVERNMENT BAN 4WDING!

Postby ratstriton on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:23 pm

Just putting it out there so every one can make there own opinion I'm still on the fence about it.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hymie on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:54 pm

Thanks for the heads up Ratstriton

Just curious
Is this not just NSW Govmnt as don't we have those laws in some other states already

I'm sure we do in Queensland

The bottom line is for anything over the 2" mark we need to get an engineers certificate
People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya
Hymie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hymie on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks for the heads up Ratstriton

Just curious
Is this not just NSW Govmnt as don't we have those laws in some other states already

I'm sure we do in Queensland

The bottom line is for anything over the 2" mark we need to get an engineers certificate
People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya
Hymie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:28 pm

I think like everything 4WD Action do it's more about advertising/marketing/drawing attention to themselves than anything else.

Like the phonecall I got from the Indian fella this week trying to get me to sign up for another year of their staun/tjm/roo-systems advertising with a little bit of 4wding thrown in for good measure. :lol: :roll:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Re: DON’T LET THE GOVERNMENT BAN 4WDING!FROM 4WD driva actio

Postby Kegsy on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:34 pm

VSI 50 is a touchy one for me...

I realise why this has happened, probably a LOT more than a lot of people on here.

Pretty much minitruckers have caused this problem. I know, I am one. And I truly apologise for the damage our community has done. Most of us in the MT community do the right thing, but sadly a lot of us didn't and it has reflected badly on us as a whole.

VSI 50 isn't IMO really written to stop 4WDrivers, I truely believe you/us (the 4WD community) are caught in the middle of a fight between the gov' and minitruckers.

VSI 50 doesn't really impact on hoons like the skyline boys etc. They have no need, nor cannot lower their cars any further than what VSI 50 regulates. They are fine.

The way VSI 50 is written is to completely close every loop hole against the minitrucking community. As a result 4wd's get caught up in the web.

The main problem with the minitrucks is the notch in the chassis (specifically listed in VSI 50) which allows extra suspension travel. Combined with airbag suspension these utes can lower onto the ground and still in some cases lift 4 inches ABOVE stock height.

This is where the 4wd guys cop it. Because some of these minitrucks can lower onto the ground and lift above stock height both ends of the spectrum have to be covered by VSI 50.

Ok, so just make a 4wd exemption. Too easy? Its not.

A lot of the vehicles minitruckers modify are 4wd based chassis'. 4 runners and 100series landcruisers are re-bodied onto different chassis' to allow lowering. Some of the newer commercial utes share a common chassis between 2wd and 4x4 etc.

Ok ban the chassis notch, leave everything else alone. Minitrucks can't excessively lower and 4wdrivers are happy... It won't work. Minitrucker's will build complete new chassis' for their utes to avoid the notch and re-body them, install a falcon ute rear chassis section or install a new rear clip on the chassis (which is now the common practice).

There is literally 100's loop holes in the laws unless they use VSI 50. But then we have ICV...

Of course this is all my opinion, but I think Im not too far off the mark.

Just as some background knowledge, under current laws these minitrucks can be engineered and be fully road legal. I know, I currently have a fully engineered minitruck that can do all the things I've listed above. I've spent a lot of time and effort engineering this truck to be 100% road legal under the current law, if VSI 50 comes in I'll have a $40K paper weight, and its a 1986 vehicle. So you can see the dollars I've spent on the engineering side.

However, airbagged / notched minitrucks must run bumpstops at a fail height which stops the chassis touching the ground. There has been a MASSIVE push for these bumpstops to be ran at all times whilst on public roads from within the minitruck community for quite a few years now. And most guys abide by this rule as to preserve our way of life.

However there are plenty of people who do not, most being P platers which also doesn't help. When bumpstops are ran as per engineering / RTA requirements, these vehicles are very safe and are 100% legal.

At shows we do get under the trucks and remove the bumpstops to get the cars on the ground for the look. This also is photo documented and doesn't help the cause either as its all over the internet. A lot of minitruck show organisers are now inspecting show cars for bumpstops before permitting vehicles to re-enter the public road system.

I realise by writing this Im probably going to have a few enemies or flamings now on this site, but I've got thick skin and I actually think us minitruckers do owe 4wd owners a massive appology. Its just weird I've got a foot in each camp.

I can only hope for both camps VSI 50 doesn't come into power, or at least if it does, the 4wdrivers escape its contents. As a minitrucker, we made our bed we should lay in it.

Greg.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tassie_ml on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:54 pm

lets see the proposed legislation, there's little point arguing about something we havent seen yet :roll: but I have little doubt that govt will introduce leg aimed at one particular group and have it affect a much wider audience with little regard for the implications....I am sure we have seen this sort of f*#k up before ;)
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby Fnordy on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 pm

Nice work Kegsy - very informative and obviously a lot more than just us recreational 4WD'ers under consideration - cheers for the update!
Fnordy

MY10 GLX-R Manual Diesel (loads of mods - see shed)
MY09 200 Series VX Landcruiser (stock standard with Poly Airbags & UHF)

MY09 Giant TCR-Advanced 1
MY10 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
Fnordy

Postby borngeek on Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:39 am

Nice continued discussion.
Very impressed Kegsy that is a very honest and open analysis of the current proposal's reasoning.
I always wondered what you guys called it.. "minitrucking" 8-)
I suppose the only way to continue, if VSI50 proceeds, is to give up the rego and keep them as show cars on trailers.. Can see that making them half the fun.

Might be wise to point out the original thread on this as plenty have expressed an opinion and you may be interested? Its HERE :ugeek:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby norto on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:27 am

Thanks for that.....email sent
Pete
norto

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:28 pm

just to open up further discusion who of the newtriton group have actualy used thier extra 50mm lift on a gazetted road in australia ( eg id never of been able to get up XYZ sand dune at blah becuause without my lift i would of bottomed out...)
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby fridgie on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:37 pm

chick_magnet_0001 wrote:just to open up further discusion who of the newtriton group have actualy used thier extra 50mm lift on a gazetted road in australia ( eg id never of been able to get up XYZ sand dune at blah becuause without my lift i would of bottomed out...)

where have you been stuck chicky?? :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:51 pm

two can play the editing game :lol: :lol:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:54 pm

wasn't a gazetted road AC
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Stop VSI 50 Now!

Postby 4x4fun on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:07 am

We all need to follow this link ASAP

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/news/43106- ... ban-4wding

God damn government :evil: !

OR

Email this:
TO: minister@borger.minister.nsw.gov.au
CC: editorial@4wdaction.com.au
Subject: Stop VSI 50 Now!

Dear current Roads Minister,
Last year your Government tried to introduce a regulation banning responsible 4WD owners from modifying the height of their vehicles.

Although this regulation targeted street hoons, it had severe consequences for the 4WD community and we fiercely opposed it.

Since then, we've faced almost 18 months of uncertainty as your Government has held closed-door meetings and refused to provide us with any updates on the new rules.

We want this uncertainty to end now.

I urge you to publicly rule out any change to the vehicle height regulations in NSW.

I also request that you make an announcement in this vein well before the State election in March 2011, because I will be keenly interested to see what all major parties offer on this issue, and this issue will be strongly influencing my vote.

Kind regards,

Your name

EDIT: Sorry in my rage i didn't see this post (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6422) i did however search VSI 50 with no results.
Last edited by 4x4fun on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Know your limits, test them daily – but know them….
4x4fun

Postby Wallace on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:50 am

Merged topics.....
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby 4x4fun on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:36 pm

thankyou sorry for the hastle :oops: :oops: :oops:
Know your limits, test them daily – but know them….
4x4fun

Postby andyj on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:36 pm

http://www.andrewstoner.com.au/images/stories/pdf/New_VSI-50_Doc.pdf

have a look at this I have been getting emails from Andrew Stoner in regards to this it was originally aimed at the hoons and the lowering of their cars for drag racing................ :x :x :x
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby Buzzy on Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Quinny on Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:43 pm

Expect to see this shortly:

Dear Ian

Thanks to your efforts, we have made the Keneally Labor Government scrap its plans to introduce harsh vehicle modification laws (VSI-50).

This is a win for all 4WDers and car enthusiasts.

I will keep you updated on any further ill-conceived Labor plans, but please contact me with any other NSW roads issues.

Thank you and please remember to drive safely as we approach the festive season.

Kind Regards

Andrew Stoner MP
Leader of The Nationals
Shadow Minister for Roads
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby andyj on Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Just had an update from Andrew Stoner

Dear andy

Thanks to your efforts, we have made the Keneally Labor Government scrap its plans to introduce harsh vehicle modification laws (VSI-50).

This is a win for all 4WDers and car enthusiasts.

I will keep you updated on any further ill-conceived Labor plans, but please contact me with any other NSW roads issues.

Thank you and please remember to drive safely as we approach the festive season.

Kind Regards

Andrew Stoner MP
Leader of The Nationals
Shadow Minister for Roads

Yahoo :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby borngeek on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:57 pm

yeah just read that and here now... commenting...

is this good really? or is this just a usual delay due to nsw govt positioning for the election :?

I know politix talk (and no1 hates them more than me).

Be keen to hear the inside arguement... BRENDAN!! (no pressure just know your bizo is following and curious to your view :mrgreen: )

//curiosity started here for me!
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ratstriton on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:35 am

ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:01 pm

To be honest guys I wouldn't hold your breath :( I think this is a bit pre-emptive from 4wd action and Andrew Stoner. I have been informed that we should see the new draft early next week. The RTA won't drop VSI 50. But they are in the process of making it fairer for everybody.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Return to General Discussion