SRS Airbag warning light

Anything Triton related

SRS Airbag warning light

Postby Banjora on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:02 pm

The airbag warning light came on yesterday for no obvious reason whilst driving around town. The MN is now 12months old with 28,000km on the clock.

I'm curious to know what the likely cause is. Has anyone else had this happen?

The handbook says take the vehicle to the dealer immediately. It's booked in for next week. They gave no obvious reason but I got the impression that it wasn't the first.

In the meantime I hope i don't run into the back of someone!

I also assume that it is a waranty fix??
Banjora

Re: SRS Airbag warning light

Postby tav43 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:54 pm

its a clock spring in the steering wheel the dealer will fix it under warrenty i know this because i,ve just had it happen to me...(ml)
tav43

Postby Bennys on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:02 pm

I had it happen when the bull bar was installed by dealer, damaged the sensor coil. Replaced under warranty.
Bennys

Postby Lee-thal on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:43 am

Could be any number of faults, Clock spring, airbag module, airbag unit failure, G sensor fault,

Once the dealer plugs in they will know pretty quickly.

Cheers
Lee-thal

Postby Banjora on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Car serviced today. Dealer checked out the problem. All they did was to clear the error code and reset the computer. Fault indication light now cleared!
Banjora

Postby Greedy on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Banjora wrote:Car serviced today. Dealer checked out the problem. All they did was to clear the error code and reset the computer. Fault indication light now cleared!

They did that for me 3 times and the damn thing was always back on by the end of the day. :x Third time, I hadn't even left the dealer. They finally got an auto sparky to fix it. Loose connection behind the drivers kick panel.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

SRS Airbag warning light

Postby Diddy on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 pm

I had this problem with the air bag light and it was a problem with the drivers seat belt sensor playing up seems abit hard to swallow if u ask me
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby Banjora on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:09 am

Spot on Greedy! Jumped in the car this morning and guess what? The air bag warning light back on!!!!!!
At least it lasted 4 days. Back to the dealer for a second go. Not happy.
Banjora

Postby Adam ace on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:03 pm

Banjora wrote:Car serviced today. Dealer checked out the problem. All they did was to clear the error code and reset the computer. Fault indication light now cleared!

x2 MN 10000ks
Adam ace

Postby VALERIO on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Ask for the error code to the dealer, if it's appear again, probably the problem is the connector of the part that is getting the error code, (i mean if the error code is from the clock spring at the steering wheel, probably the connector at the end of the steering colunm is failing)
Last edited by VALERIO on Fri May 13, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VALERIO

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:54 pm

The biggest problem with the SRS system is diagnosing the fault, Failures are easy cause they dont work at all and you can find it quickly, generally the fault codes point you in the direction if the code relates to a short circuit the fun begins, you cannot work/test the system while it is live, Most times the faults are in connectors, remove clean tension and refit, the problem can then be fixed or it reappears after another 3 operating cycles. I have seen fault codes cleared and never return but have seen others drag on and on

Get the fault code and then we can get a better understanding and hopefully assist with a diagnosis.

cheers
Lee-thal

Postby Banjora on Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Didn't find out the error code. Picked up the car from the dealer this afternoon. They told me it was a dodgy connection in the computer. Apparently the cable was strained.

Let's see how long it lasts this time!
Banjora

Postby ag9111 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Is there a way to clear the codes or must you go back to the dealer. I drove my car without the pass seat in (MN with curtain and side airbags) and now i have a code but the OBD software cant see it so I cant reset it.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Not srs related but seat related and as a few mention above I'll put in here,

After pulling my passenger seat out and driving around for a few days, today it went back together and now the seat belt light won't go out :?

Anyone no Y :?: :?:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:08 pm

There's a seatbelt light? Shows how much attention I pay.

I'd be checking that little yellow plug which is attached to the front driver's side mount on the seat (assuming you have airbags). I found the plug a bit fiddly to disengage and ended up dropping a little spring out of it - I got it back together but could easily have missed the spring because it was tiny. From memory that's the only real electrical connection to the seat so that's where I'd be checking.

After that, are there any wires attached to the seatbelt latch receiver or whatever it's called - the female end of the equation anyway? If there are that's be my next bet.

Then maybe check if there are any local earth points that might be caked in crap after the drowning and clean them off as well.

If that all looks good but the warning light persists unplug your battery overnight and see if the problem is still there in the morning. It may need a reset from Mitsubishi like some of the other dash warning lights appear to do.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Earlyninja on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:11 pm

I had the srs airbag light turn on not long ago. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the clock spring on the steering column. Fixed, and had no srs problem since.
Apparently the triton's long steering ratio (turn turn turn and turn) wears the spring :?:
Meh, whatever. Just passing what I was told.
Earlyninja

Postby har05l on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:25 pm

Well there was quite a bit of dirt CD :roll: and it's all plugged back together. Will check it all again tomorrow
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby andyj on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:31 pm

har05l wrote:Well there was quite a bit of dirt CD :roll: and it's all plugged back together. Will check it all again tomorrow

At least you are blaming the mud and not your 100+kg passenger :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) :P
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Return to General Discussion