Suggestions?

Anything Triton related

Suggestions?

Postby Dave on Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi Guys / Gals

I am looking for suggestions that people may have in relation to the site... what would you want to see change, added, removed, etc? No don't tell me to remove all the Hilux members :)

Now in the past, some people suggested making the forum so it's categorized into separate groups, I am still considering doing this but having it an option so it's a flat forum like it currently is or have a categorized forum.. so there could be a choice on that one.

Secondly the site layout is a bit tacky, needs to get a bit wider so you can read the forum a bit easier...

Thirdly, I will definitely be changing the background Hilux to a Triton, that's for sure :)

There's quite a few more I have taken note of, but it would be nice to see your suggestions are?
Dave
Site Admin

Suggestions?

Postby FreestyleCab on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:54 pm

A categorised forum would be good, as long as it is not taken to the extreme, like the Prado Point forum. They have so many categories I am scared to post a message in case a moderator deems it to be in the wrong category and flames me about it... ;)

What is lacking is a decent search function. Now that the forum has over 10000 posts it is a nightmare finding old information.

A statistics module would also be good, just so we can see who is doing all the posting. etc

Maybe a IP reporting/statistics module for the user profiles... that logs the number of clicks from unique IP addresses ( I'm just trying to stop/slow down the rate at which everyones hit counters are climbing as my mouse is wearing out trying to [b]stay in the top ten list![/b]) ;)
Brett
FreestyleCab

Suggestions?

Postby FreestyleCab on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:56 pm

[b]Dave Wrote:[/b]

[i]Thirdly, I will definitely be changing the background Hilux to a Triton, that's for sure.[/i]

Just paid my membership after reading that line!!!

8-)

Brett
Brett
FreestyleCab

Suggestions?

Postby subi_man on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:04 pm

I'm in favour of having simple categories (eg. interior, under the bonnet, suspension & wheels, protection gear etc)

Like Brett says, I think the Top10 is a little open to "creativeness", not that it's a big deal, but maybe it could simply be 10 dandomly chosen members Triton's that changes weekly or something - that way at least it would be interesting to look at!!! <flame suit on>

What about email notifications for subscribed threads for financial members? Is that a possibility.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Suggestions?

Postby Buzzy on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:10 pm

[b]Andrew wrote:[/b]
I'm in favour of having simple categories (eg. interior, under the bonnet, suspension & wheels, protection gear etc)

I think as long as it is kept "simple" this would be a good idea. Austblue said somewhere else about keeping everything to one forum ie: dont create a seperate "members" forum as such. Doing this may turn people away. I would like to see some NewTriton.net shirts or something as well for paying members. Good incentive to hand over some cash.

Cheers Ben
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Suggestions?

Postby Austblue on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:22 pm

I hate to point them out but I think its L200.org that has a very simple users forum then you have to pay to access the main forum. Like I said in the other thread why would strangers pay to see a forum that they know very little about wrt quality of content?

UserCP with "threads contributed" is handy so you can track threads but I guess until we start getting a lot of threads each day it isn't that necessary.

Oh I just remembered on the forum page instead of just the date chuck the time up there too please!
Austblue

Suggestions?

Postby Buzzy on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:28 pm

Couple of mods to wouldnt go astray. May slow down a bit of the crap that gets posted from time to time.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Suggestions?

Postby Austblue on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:35 pm

I think starting an OT sub-forum should solve that too. Eventually we'll need mods but I'm not sure its all that necessary yet.
Austblue

Suggestions?

Postby slotdownunder on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:43 pm

I'd like to see some categorization on the site a little, not many though , something like, Triton, Travel, Social, the rest.

An ability to subscribe to a certain thread and get emailed whenever that thread was updated would be nice.

Maybe a daily/weekly summary email?
slotdownunder

Suggestions?

Postby Dave on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:47 pm

Not much point in me paying $50 (£23) to join from over here.:-)
On the L200.org club my £12 (now gone up to £15) one off lifetime membership fee means I can see all the technical threads that other members have spent time and sometimes money finding out about problems and fixes.
Also, we can get quite a few trolls that just want to disrupt a well run club website. If they have to pay to see the more interesting areas then they just won't and eventually they bugger off. ;)

My membership also gets me well organised green-laning days/weekends that other members have organised routes, done reccying and sometimes lane clearing, and other events (one being paid for by Mitsi at the end of May).

Just my tuppence worth.

;)
Dave
Site Admin

Suggestions?

Postby King Triton on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:17 pm

Dave everything is pretty good mate.

Yeah agree with Austblue adding the time for replies posted would be good.
King Triton

Suggestions?

Postby zulujack on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:43 am

Dave have you considered just using the same freeware .PHP forum site that everyone else seems to use. The advantage of using something like this is that users are already familiar with how it works, and you don't have to spend mutch time building a site.
zulujack

Suggestions?

Postby High Country on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:11 am

Jeez Zip - I seem to remember I'm the furtherest away paidup member from the L200 site.........!!! Your turn to recipracate now on behalf of all your fellow countrymen...........!!!

;) ;)
Tip # 1 - Avoid stress & grief & low resale values with vehicles - do it once - do it right, buy a HILUX!!
High Country

Suggestions?

Postby Davoxt on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:38 am

Some forums have a listing, something like this maybe?
General/ Travel
Electrical
Engine/Drive Train
Modifications
Suspension/wheels/Tyres/Brakes
Davoxt

Suggestions?

Postby Dave on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Guys

Some real good suggestions there, please keep em coming, don't hold back thinking "shit, this might make him very busy" because it's not... This is where we discuss what's good, what people want, and others to comment on... so don't hesitate to disagree or agree with someones suggestions...

All this work will be mostly done by a professional web developer who I had recently brought online with the sites.. so just at the stage of compiling a large list of things to be done, mostly a fair bit of back end stuff that needs sorting so far.

Keep em coming!
Dave
Site Admin

Suggestions?

Postby Dave on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:40 pm

Thing is HC, it only costs a ONE OFF fee of £15.00 for the L200 club.
That's lifetime membership.

I'm quite happy to contribute to this club/web but £23 ANNUALY is quite a bit for not much benefit to me or others overseas. :-)

However, I will think about paying up if some areas become off-limits to the cheapskates amongst us 8-)
Dave
Site Admin

Suggestions?

Postby High Country on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Yeah, I'd agree there - as a annual thing, probably not much use to me either.......
Much as I'd love to chuck my ute in a container to do a lap of Oz, plus meet up with some of the guys on here, its probably not gonna happen.....:( :(
Tip # 1 - Avoid stress & grief & low resale values with vehicles - do it once - do it right, buy a HILUX!!
High Country

Suggestions?

Postby High Country on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:47 pm

Aww $hit - I just agreed with a Pom - gonna haveta cut that out............!!!
High Country

Suggestions?

Postby Austblue on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:13 am

Not sure what being o/s has to do with any of these benefits???

[quote]Support Our Site

Financial Membership on NewTriton.net is an optional feature for our users which provides you with many additional benefits which go well beyond your standard membership.

By becoming a Financial Member you not only get additional features, you become recognised on our site! All funds go directly towards offsetting the cost of operating and improving this website for the benefit of our rapidly growing Triton community. In recognition of your support, you will be added to our list of valued 4WD Network contributors and your member account will also receive a title of Platinum Member against your name in the Forum.

Benefits

* Platinum title next to your name on the site.
* Your own Photo Gallery *Coming soon
* Private Messaging feature.
* No more "Become financial member" banners.
* Plus more in due time!
[/quote]

If you think its too steep then don't beat around the bush post it up as a suggestion!

Personally I think most will find that they'll save a lot more than that with the knowledge gained here but others may vary. I for instance have spent thousands 'cause of this bloody site!!! :evil:
Austblue

Suggestions?

Postby High Country on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:29 am

Ok - will wait to see what the benefits are that are coming then, before passing judgement.
High Country

Suggestions?

Postby Dave on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:55 am

I think it's just a little too steep for an annual membership fee, for the benefits that are available AT THE MOMENT.
Dave
Site Admin

Suggestions?

Postby Doug67 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:17 am

Zip

What about the benefit of keeping the site open????
Doug67

Suggestions?

Postby FreestyleCab on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:32 pm

Could you tone down the platinum member.jpg

Every time I scroll down a message thread and see all these down the side of the screen, I get the feeling that the board is shouting the users paid up status at me.

Maybe a subtle little single character icon would be better.... maybe a little red Mitsubishi logo or something along those lines.
Brett
FreestyleCab

Suggestions?

Postby Skog07 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Yeah Doug.I'm with you.
$50 bucks a year is $4.17 /month or 96 cents / week or 13.7 cents / day. To help with costs on running the site is probably really doesnt go that far. And thats before you include a sticker and postage costs??
Freestylecab. I do agree the plantnum member does scream at you when you scroll down threads. I mentioned something on newhilux about it as well.
To add a suggestion over here for you guys to contemplate are a dedicated 2wd section, 4wd areas page state by state, a must sees page state by state like a tours page. Just to list a few.

Thanks
Mark
Skog07

Suggestions?

Postby High Country on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:42 pm

FSC - using the Mitsi logo instead, is a GREAT idea.......!!!
Should be same at newhilux - give them triple diamonds as well.........8-) 8-) (only fair - we've still got a Lux as backdrop here...!!)
High Country

Next

Return to General Discussion