Ironman snorkel confusion

Anything Triton related

Postby RockoWallaby on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Hey a folks
Looked to buy an Ironman snorkel, and my local dealer (my neighbor) says now none for MN. So, rang ironman direct, andthey confirmed it!
I'm sure folks here have done it, and they're sold on eBay. What's the go? Is it just because of the coolant bottle?
Begrudge paying $500 for safari if I don't have to ;)
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Re: Ironman snorkel confusion

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:12 pm

I'm not sure about the Ironman but the Safari one is the same P/N for both MN & ML :?
See my build thread ... HERE
See my shed ............. HERE
SEJ GLX-R

Postby tassie_ml on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:27 pm

SEJ is right, the ML and MN use the same safari snorkel. AFAIK the ML and MN both have the same front mudguards and air filter assembly so I see no reason why ironman snorkel fitment wouldnt be the same.

The Safari snorkel isnt listed for the ML petrol but uses the ML diesel one, its a perfect fit and when I asked why they dont list it for the petrol, they said it wasnt 'approved' as they didnt 'test' it for the petrol versions, therfore not advertised accordingly. Seems like a cost saving issue where they dont have to pay for R&D and maybe some sort of ADR compliance for the petrol variant they didnt expect would sell well.

just my 2c worth :mrgreen:
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby RockoWallaby on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:03 pm

I'm wondering whether it's because they don't want to supply the coolant overflow bottle anymore? Doesn't the ML use the original? Or do they both need replacement? That's what the Ironman guy seemed to infer, but was being vague about it
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby Kegsy on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:03 pm

I've got an ML ironman snorkel on my MN.

The provided coolant bottle for the ML kit will NOT fit, in the MN they have placed the power steering reservoir on the opposite side of the engine bay. IE: where the ML bottle kit goes.

You will need to make another coolant bottle or order the safari MN coolant bottle (plastic one).
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RockoWallaby on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:30 pm

Aah! Thanks. That answers that. Anyone know how much for a safari bottle? Might just get the safari kit and be done with it.
RockoWallaby

Postby Fruity on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:52 pm

Cheapest I could get the safari kit was $440 plus delivery. It has just arrived and everything in the kit so don't have to stuff around getting odd's and ends to make it all work together.
I will let you know how I go with the install, hopefully I do not end up with too many spare nuts and washers at the end of the job and a 95mm hole in the wrong guard!
Fruity

Postby Kegsy on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Its about $90 from ARB, but its not just the bottle. You get a few other odds and ends as well...

I went to ARB and they ordered the kit for me and I traded the stainless bottle for the plastic one for a small fee. I got lucky, one of the guys there wanted the stainless bottle :mrgreen:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Just fitted a safari myself, on Sunday, yesterday. Was looking at the Ironman units too.

Have seen a few that sit too low and need to cut the flare to re-fit. Stencil problem. Really put me off.

Take it from me. I just put a 95mm holesaw through my 2 month old GLX-R.

You want it RIGHT!

FIRST time! ;)

Its quite scarey doing it but the template was good and fitting is brilliant. Dont risk a stuff up with a dodgy templates from lazy manufacturers. :cry:

In my humble opion it is pathetic to not correct that after the first phone call to prevent 100s of people stuffing up their cars.

Put me off.

Hardest part was getting the arch plastic panels back in right :?

Also I bushed out the 102mm internal hole to protect the rubber inlet pipe. Recommend that. ;)
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby RockoWallaby on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:24 pm

Hey fruity? Where did you get it for that price? Best I can find is just under $490 delivered
Agree about templates. Why wouldn't you make that a priority to fix? If it's out and someone screwed the instal, it's a law suit waiting to happen
RockoWallaby

Postby Fruity on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:53 pm

RockoWallaby wrote:Hey fruity? Where did you get it for that price? Best I can find is just under $490 delivered
Agree about templates. Why wouldn't you make that a priority to fix? If it's out and someone screwed the instal, it's a law suit waiting to happen
Off Ebay, but its not that far from your price anyway if you can't pick it up as delivery is $30. Will be installing it hopefully the weekend after next!
Fruity

Postby fridgie on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:58 pm

I got mine for $440 from the d&*kheads at RFM in wooloongabba, but they had just stuffed up my sussy install so had to be nice to me. $490 delivered is a decent price mate ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Mattstruck on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:15 pm

ARB $495 - pick up when u want, take back if you have issues.
Local bloke might be a lil flexible on the price too ;) wink wink nudge nudge.
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby UAV on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:19 pm

mattnewbie wrote:ARB $495 - pick up when u want, take back if you have issues.
Local bloke might be a lil flexible on the price too ;) wink wink nudge nudge.

hey matt i think you have something in your eye :lol: :lol: :lol:
UAV

Postby RockoWallaby on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Bugger it. If I add $80 to ironman pricing for a bottle, it's only $100 more for the safari. I'll go with safari and be done with it ;)
Thanks for the info guys
RockoWallaby

Postby Tony on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:58 pm

RockoWallaby wrote:Bugger it. If I add $80 to ironman pricing for a bottle, it's only $100 more for the safari. I'll go with safari and be done with it ;)
Thanks for the info guys

Make sure you check the safari template as well. Mine was out a bit and would have fitted low. Otherwise an easy job to fit and very well made. 8-)

Cheers T
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tezza08 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:35 pm

just fitted safari to my ml yesterday and all went sweet no probs :D got it from opposite lock nerang for $450 ;) check out my shed for pics :mrgreen:
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional! :twisted:
tezza08

Postby RockoWallaby on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:08 pm

Something I find a little odd with templates, is they don't have on them the outline of the snorkel itself, so you can check it clears the guard!
In the words of the dodgy chick from the Specsavers ad....Doesn't seem right to me! ;)

Hmm, one question tho. I'm a big one for replacing nuts and washers with stainless. Good idea? Or don't the supplied ones from Safari corrode?
RockoWallaby

Postby fridgie on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:51 am

From memory, and I may be wrong here, I think they are stainless mate.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Kegsy on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:31 am

Mine were ss. I also gave the back of the guards a good hit with fish oil after bolting everything up just to make sure.
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:06 pm

All bolts/washers/nyloc and nuts are S/S. No probs there.

I found it hard to get through the engine bay with the 102mm holesaw as where it comes through into the guard there are 3 pieces of steel spot welded together and one is thicker, maybe 2mm.

Had to cut mine with a hacksaw blade by hand. Threw some zinc around willy nilly and happy daze! :)

Zinc is very very good also. They use it to prime steel on the Naval ships so it ought to be ok on ur car ;) :lol:

Also I used some plastic to bush out the internal 102mm hole to prevent the rubber hose ever getting cut. I reckon its a good idea.

Like I said but... hardest part is the Mitsubishi side of things. Removing flare, inner guard covers etc. and re-assemblingit again.
BLOODY PLASTIC PUSH IN PLUGS!!!

Best to release the blue flare plugs with pliers from within the guard once the covers are removed or you risk breaking them by just ripping the flare off (like me :evil: :evil: ).

Good luck :D
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

Postby RockoWallaby on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:45 pm

You need a 102mm hole saw? Thought I read it was 95mm? Or was that the ironman, and the safari is different?
I know there's a loan saw out there, but is it just a HSS bi metal hole saw we need? Only 20 odd plus freight to get one. I'd imagine the loan one would be getting a little shagged out by now ;)
RockoWallaby

Postby fridgie on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:53 pm

95mm in outer guard, 102mm through engine bay.

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby RockoWallaby on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:12 pm

Hah ;). Bugger
RockoWallaby

Postby Kegsy on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:09 am

RockoWallaby wrote:You need a 102mm hole saw? Thought I read it was 95mm? Or was that the ironman, and the safari is different?
I know there's a loan saw out there, but is it just a HSS bi metal hole saw we need? Only 20 odd plus freight to get one. I'd imagine the loan one would be getting a little shagged out by now ;)

The loan set was brand new, so provided that people haven't abused them they should still have a lot of life left considering the paper thin metal we need to cut.

If people have used them at high rpm then yeah they might be getting very average...
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to General Discussion