Eaton Harrop Electric Front Locker

Anything Triton related

Postby snowman on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:52 pm

some of you may have seen this advertised in the 4WD Action mags.

Unfortunately as of 4th April 2011 they are not available for the Triton.

i have asked to find out if the 8inch (Triton and Pajero) diffs are in development and will post here when i receive this advice.

meanwhile this is what i am talking about......

http://www.oppositelock.com.au/index.php?action=prodcatalogue&form_name=view_product&category_id=382&product_id=2944&pageID=10079&sectionID=10062

edit: anyone reading this who owns a hilux they are currently on special at OL for $1950 fitted including a small recovery kit.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Eaton Harrop Electric Front Locker

Postby MUD LARK on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:35 am

snowman, Thanks for the info, this is what I wanted to buy, down the track!!!
Waiting for your post..

Cheers,
Buy some timbers at Bunnings, built a bridge then get over it!!!
MUD LARK

Postby borngeek on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:39 am

I also rang about these a while ago after it being mentioned by another member as their preferred... Was a flat no back then. About time aftermarket guys start picking up on bits for our vehicles :D

Could I be the uninformed that asks the advantage of electric over air locker? :oops:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:20 am

Yeah think I posted in Mud Larks thread about this.

In my opinion BG there is nothing better about it...other than it's not ARB
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby stefanos on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi snowman!!
Are these locker compatible with TC and ESP???because we have found some others,but we waiting for the specs.
stefanos

Postby snowman on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Homer wrote:Yeah think I posted in Mud Larks thread about this.

In my opinion BG there is nothing better about it...other than it's not ARB

interesting the guys at OL (for obvious reasons) were saying there is so much less to go wrong with them versus an air locker. less bits to go wrong etc.

i was not quiet so convinced and the ARB air locker is a very well engineered and reliable unit and has been around for many years all over the world. they had some issues with the old seals. front lockers can be protected from sticks far better IMO but there is really no difference between the two as although a stick can rip your air line it can do the same to the electric wire. Damn sticks - they are everywhere at Coffs. :lol:

for $2150 installed for an ARB unit including the bigger compressor (which you get to use for your tyres -another excellent and essential 4wd accessory) compared to approximately $2200-2250 (no fixed price ATM although currently $1950 for Hilux) for the Eaton i know which one i would go for. But if you already had on board air..... :? :?

However one other item is there is one less switch with the Eaton you need to locate on your dash somewhere and that can be an issue with not much space in the tritons. i dont like carving holes in my dash to be honest.

stefanos wrote:Hi snowman!!
Are these locker compatible with TC and ESP???because we have found some others,but we waiting for the specs.

not sure mate to be honest, but i dont think they would be any different to the ARB unit. they effectively do exactly the same thing just one uses air and the other an electromagnet.

still no news stefanos. will find out and post.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby stefanos on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:19 pm

O.k snowman..will be waiting!!!
...and when I have news from the other lockers I'll post.....I think these are very good(even guarantee for race use....they have front and rear for L200 EVO :shock: )......but as I say ,in other thread ,I must find our specs!!
stefanos

Postby reeldreamer on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:23 pm

What about the Lokka differential system? They list a front automatic lokka for the triton I think from memory they are about $450?

http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=29

Worth a look i guess?
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby snowman on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:32 pm

you cannot use an auto locker on any of the superselect models.

there has also been a lot of discussion on that issue in another thread. do a search. :D
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:44 pm

I should say that there is an ARB copy on the market. I think I posted the details somewhere.

It is from an Aussie off road racing place and they have proven it (apparently) in this situation. This maybe what Stefanos is talking about.

I did a little digging at the time and it was only a 25% or so cheaper option than ARB with no wty (from memory).

At that time people still thought the front locker was bad and no one wanted one so I didn't try and drum up interest on the cheaper version and go hard at it, which could potentially see a much better saving and would certainly have been more dilligent.

It didn't come with the compressor so that would be added to the cost.

I'm not a huge fan of the Lokka...but I really wanted to be :?

The main reason was I couldn't find anyone who had installed one to give good feedback. One bloke installed one, then changed to an ARB? When asked why he was very vague and just said he wasn't really happy with the steering weight or something :?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby reeldreamer on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:46 pm

snowman wrote:you cannot use an auto locker on any of the superselect models.

there has also been a lot of discussion on that issue in another thread. do a search. :D

Forgive my ignorence but are all ML's super select? I thought the earlier ML's with the 2 piece tail shaft weren't super select.
reeldreamer

Postby ultimate on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:49 pm

Eaton and Harrop engineering both have really good reputations for high quality components so you know the locker is a good thing. The TRD Supercharger on the Prado is actually a Eaton design and it's been running strong for 300,000km. ;) From what I know about the E-Lockers, they are a very reliable unit and work a bit quicker than an air locker. You can also activate the front locker without turning the rear on first which is handy. My personal preference would be a E-Locker in the front and a LSD in the rear. That way your pulling the vehicle up and not trying to push it up everything.

The only downside is their catalogue isn't as big as ARB's. A lot of the products are still in development which makes it hard. I'm still waiting for one to come out for the prado :lol:
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby snowman on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:52 pm

ultimate wrote:The only downside is their catalogue isn't as big as ARB's. A lot of the products are still in development which makes it hard. I'm still waiting for one to come out for the prado :lol:

I think they have Brendan, check their website.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Homer wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the Lokka...but I really wanted to be :?

The main reason was I couldn't find anyone who had installed one to give good feedback. One bloke installed one, then changed to an ARB? When asked why he was very vague and just said he wasn't really happy with the steering weight or something :?

I ran a lokka in the front of my 4runa for 3 years and had no issues what so ever. Before this install I busted 2 gear sets and 1 cv :cry: . Yes the only downfall was the steering was heavy but this is a far cry for the $500ish outlay as opposed to $2000ish for arb locker. With the savings I splashed out on other goodies 8-)

Each to there own :D
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:17 pm

I think they have Brendan, check their website.

Sorry, I meant the front locker. I don't think they have one yet :( Hopefully you can prove me wrong ;) :lol:

you cannot use an auto locker on any of the superselect models.

Do the Super select models still have a LSD? I noticed Toyota have removed the rear LSD on the new hiluxs because it interferes with the stability program. To me that means there's no real disadvantage with fitting a diff lock. You won't lose anything on road and gain a lot more off road.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Homer on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:27 pm

har05l wrote:
Homer wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the Lokka...but I really wanted to be :?

I ran a lokka in the front of my 4runa for 3 years and had no issues what so ever. Before this install I busted 2 gear sets and 1 cv :cry: . Yes the only downfall was the steering was heavy but this is a far cry for the $500ish outlay as opposed to $2000ish for arb locker. With the savings I splashed out on other goodies 8-)

Each to there own :D

Well now you post up :lol: ...where were you when we were asking for reports on the Lokka's....

Seriously Joe and I couldn't get a reply...then one lone voice saying he just bought one, then 2 or 3 months later reporting he swapped for ARB.

That was the day I went out to get an ARB...would have loved to save some coin :roll:

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby har05l on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Sorry I missed all that homer :roll:

I may consider the lokka down the line if a cv does let go but for now all's good ;)

I will now though recommend the lokka to anybody considering a little helping hand and I also agree with brendan that a front lokka is by far a better choice than the rear because the rear will push you into places you wouldn't usually go :o whereas the front will not always pull you. If you can't get somewhere there is less risk of vehicle damage say if the going gets real tough. Been there and it's not fun at all :roll:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joe on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Interesting discussion. And as Homer says, we could not get an answer about how good or otherwise the front Lokka for a Triton is. I too want to be a fan of it. I'm sure that it would be no good for super select guys, but for those of us with easy select it could be a different proposition. When time and finances permit I will be investigating this a little further.

And Mitch, pretty sure the super select only comes on the GLX-R specs from about mid 2009 ML through to MN.
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby UAV on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:38 pm

Superselect is from about mid 2008 on on glxrs. As this is what mine is. ;)
UAV

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:43 pm

http://www.rocky-road.com/airlocker.html
first quick search for montero (pajero) lockers (same code as the triton) ;)

ARB USA- has always been able to sell lockers cheaper than we could get- and now exchange rate and under the $1k gst declaration limit
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Diddy on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:54 pm

4wd26 wrote:http://www.rocky-road.com/airlocker.html

ARB USA- has always been able to sell lockers cheaper than we could get- and now exchange rate and under the $1k gst declaration limit

I got quoted $1100 for a arb locker on Monday
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Diddy wrote:

I got quoted $1100 for a arb locker on Monday

That's nice Diddy but this is NewTriton.net
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:03 pm

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6773&p=119459&hilit=diff#p119459
the best Daryn could do in regard to pricing. around $300 less in the States.

When is the next container coming in?
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby UAV on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:06 pm

They were heaps cheaper 12 months ago, they have had about 4 price rises since then. They were $700 now about $850-900. I got a price 12 mnths ago for f&r & comp delivered $2k
UAV

Postby jop on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:07 pm

Diddy what was the locker price if you didn't spend 20k (ashtray change :roll: ) at arb
jop

Next

Return to General Discussion