Eaton Harrop Electric Front Locker

Anything Triton related

Postby Diddy on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:15 pm

jop wrote:Diddy what was the locker price if you didn't spend 20k (ashtray change :roll: ) at arb

$1100 regardless of what I buy but I'm not getting lockers on the hilux now cos the traction control on the 2011 hilux is pretty awesome apparently
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Re: Eaton Harrop Electric Front Locker

Postby jop on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:17 pm

rear open diff with hilux traction control?
jop

Postby Diddy on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:29 pm

jop wrote:rear open diff with hilux traction control?

Yeah mate apparently so supposed to be brilliant from what I have been told
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby har05l on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:34 pm

Way off topic now :roll:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Ken is right but this open diff and traction control sounds a lot like an MN setup to me.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby borngeek on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:44 am

Diddy wrote:$1100 regardless of what I buy but I'm not getting lockers on the hilux now cos the traction control on the 2011 hilux is pretty awesome apparently

BS!

$1100 would be for the ARB locker all by itself. (So sitting in a box on your lounge room floor)
Then add compressor ($300) + hose kit ($50) + Inflation kit ($50)
Then add installation ($600+) and without the tools you need to have this done professionally...

I have priced it. ARB will tell you $2200 over the phone installed and you get the opportunity to knock a bit off when you go in to lay down your cash. I will let any interested know which ARB in Sydney via PM if you like to ring for yourself. I also went in and enquired. Ended up just buying a compressor off them... :lol:

Very pricey, so this Eaton one is interesting to me... ;)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:52 am

^^ Yeah I went down this path as discussed...nothing even in the pipeline here guys from my inquiries...

I'll have a look for the other locker info...

Found it...I guess with the above locker not there yet this isn't too far off topic...

OK, here is the company that I believe sells the air locker for the Triton.

They are on the Outer Limits website but have started their own site - at least has contact details :roll: .
I don't know a lot about them but have been led to believe they are pretty much an exact copy of a certain common brand air locker on the market now.

I am sure if there are a few people interested - and there will be after Easter I am sure - I reckon these guys would be worth talking to. I only heard about them through Opposite Lock and never approached them for pricing myself....reckon you could probably get a competitive quote on a group buy ;)

My info was they have developed these with the manufacturer and initially had some parts breakages but that was all sorted in the development phase and they are now a solid product. They use and test them in their race trucks apparently...that's all I know...

http://www.totaloffroad.com.au/

Have a look on Outers link below at their sig line. I'm not a member but reckon you could search their posts etc for some background info - or just give them a call?
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=220538
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby stefanos on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi guys!!!
May be I'm off topic :( ....but we have found these lockers
http://www.kaiserlocker.com/en/
http://www.kaiserlocker.com/en/produtos ... icacao.asp
....and we have some info about ....
stefanos

Postby reeldreamer on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:28 am

snowman wrote:you cannot use an auto locker on any of the superselect models.

there has also been a lot of discussion on that issue in another thread. do a search. :D

I have been in contact with the supplier of the Lokka diff and he informs me he has supplied "heaps" for ML tritons. Now this might just be sales talk but he is interested to know why this product supposedly doesn't work. Has some had first hand experience fitting these i am interested to hear?
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby jason on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:54 am

I have had a Lokka from 4x4 systems fitted for over 12 months now, and at first i didnt like it and wanted to replace it with a arb one, now i have driven it heaps and got used to it, most of the time when your in 4x4 you dont really notice it, when you go up a hill and accelerate the steering pulls back centre and it wants to follow the wheel ruts, but it works a treat and now i wouldnt be without it....
however if I had the money at the time i would have gone for a arb one because it would be nice to switch it off somtimes expecially if you do a lot of touring on unsealed roads and you just want that bit of extra traction without the front wheels trying to pull back centre...
but for the money in my opinion its a good product.
jason

Postby reeldreamer on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:57 am

Thanks for the info Jason! Do you have a rear diff lock fitted standard?
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby har05l on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks for the 1st hand response jason ;) , I'd agree that in touring instances it does pose as a pain but after you get used to it being locked all the time it becomes your friend :D

I can feel a twin locked triton coming to a meet near you soon :twisted: :D
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:14 pm

reeldreamer wrote:
snowman wrote:you cannot use an auto locker on any of the superselect models.

there has also been a lot of discussion on that issue in another thread. do a search. :D

I have been in contact with the supplier of the Lokka diff and he informs me he has supplied "heaps" for ML tritons. Now this might just be sales talk but he is interested to know why this product supposedly doesn't work. Has some had first hand experience fitting these i am interested to hear?

Prior to the MY09 revision of the ML all transfer cases were 'easy select' this means that you cannot use 4WD on hard surfaces. A 'lokka' might be acceptable in these circumstances but as Jason indicates if you want 4wd (easy select) on touring dirt roads then you will need to beware of the lokka characteristics.

however as 'super select' allows you to drive on any sealed road the use of one of these is not recommend.

Therefore we need to be more specific than just ML, it has to be states as ML easy or super select. The same would apply for MN as the base models dont have super select to my knowledge. Hence why i used the term 'super select' in my first post. ;)
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bboughton on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:39 pm

I'm interested in these LOKKA systems. Thanks Jason for your review. Did you install it yourself? Has anyone priced up a front LOKKA for Triton?
bboughton

Postby Joe on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:39 pm

jason wrote:I have had a Lokka from 4x4 systems fitted for over 12 months now, and at first i didnt like it and wanted to replace it with a arb one, now i have driven it heaps and got used to it, most of the time when your in 4x4 you dont really notice it, when you go up a hill and accelerate the steering pulls back centre and it wants to follow the wheel ruts, but it works a treat and now i wouldnt be without it....
however if I had the money at the time i would have gone for a arb one because it would be nice to switch it off somtimes expecially if you do a lot of touring on unsealed roads and you just want that bit of extra traction without the front wheels trying to pull back centre...
but for the money in my opinion its a good product.

Good job jason. This is the sort of feedback we have been after. 8-)
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby Homer on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Jason's original negative review of the lokka made me buy the ARB :?

I have to say - totally unbiased here - that having instant button control on the front locker is a really handy thing and very effective.

As far as I know it is instant hook up when you need it so I never have it on. I drive on the LSD and switch on the locker for any short hard bits and turn it straight back off for better steering feedback and performance. It kicks in immediately you hit the button so you can leave it off whenever you want.

Not saying anything bad about the full time Lokka - although I can't see it working with super select - just the convenience of the air locker is really good.

Same goes with the compressor to air up...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby jos89h on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:02 pm

I've got the standard LSD on the rear and want to get a locker on a diff, would it be better to keep the LSD rear and have the locker on the front, or just put the locker on the rear?
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on the decision of this one
jos89h

Postby fridgie on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:33 pm

I'd say go the locker in the front mate ;)

Or better still, go both :lol: :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Homer on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:23 am

jos89h wrote:I've got the standard LSD on the rear and want to get a locker on a diff, would it be better to keep the LSD rear and have the locker on the front, or just put the locker on the rear?

Easy decision mate. Put it on the front. It improves these cars enormously compared to rear.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby har05l on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:36 am

Homer wrote:
jos89h wrote:I've got the standard LSD on the rear and want to get a locker on a diff, would it be better to keep the LSD rear and have the locker on the front, or just put the locker on the rear?

Easy decision mate. Put it on the front. It improves these cars enormously compared to rear.

Agree mostly with homer but I'd put it "in", not "on" :lol: :lol:

It does work pretty good with the LSD
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby helicoptercow on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:10 am

has anyone heard any more about the development of the e locker for the triton? its all been a little quiet for 6 months

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:12 am

X2. An E locker sounds like a good thing.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby patrolus on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:25 am

As I posted somewhere before, I had the 4wd systems lokka in the front of an 80 series. Cost $450 on special and my car mech charged me $150 to put it in. Fantastic thing, never let me down. The car would pull a bit to the right the moment I accelerated, but after a week I got used to it. Wasn't more than just a slight pulling force that you feel in the steeringwheel . It even Worked fine on gravel roads, pretty much didn't notice it after a while..... In corners u can hear the tick tick tick noise from the lock disengaging.... (it allows the outer wheel to travel faster...) traveled a lot with that thing (canning, kidson, Gibbs river etc etc) and it is still going strong (a mate owns the car now) I never tried it on a sealed road, but for any offroad situation I would recommend them.
patrolus

Postby jos89h on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Thanks for the help guys!

helicoptercow wrote:has anyone heard any more about the development of the e locker for the triton? its all been a little quiet for 6 months

Talked to guy at OL the other day who had a chat with Eaton, they said the triton locker is on the cards but there hasn't been much ground work done on it as of yet and there's no ETA.

IMO if their lockers are as good as their electrical products (AC 240/415V), they will last 40+ years without fail. :D
jos89h

Postby snowman on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:15 am

helicoptercow wrote:has anyone heard any more about the development of the e locker for the triton? its all been a little quiet for 6 months

supposedly they sent their suppliers an email about a week ago advising the ML/MN front locker will be available late Jan 2012.

They were supposed to be ready by now but some delays in shipping from OS.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion