I fell victim today...

Anything Triton related

Re: I fell victim today...

Postby andyj on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:25 am

A Mate at work put 25l of unleaded in a diesel imax realised topped up with diesel then proceeded to drive about 120k when he came out of the meeting wondered why it wouldn't start.......
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:42 pm

I wouldn't even turn the key if I misfuelled. Tritons have a full recirculating fuel system so the lift pump would pull petrol contaminated fuel almost immediately...

If the newer diesel has less lubricity then a bit of unleaded doesn't bear thinking about when it goes through the HP pump :shock: .
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coxy47 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:15 pm

Longranger1 wrote:I wouldn't even turn the key if I misfuelled. Tritons have a full recirculating fuel system so the lift pump would pull petrol contaminated fuel almost immediately...

If the newer diesel has less lubricity then a bit of unleaded doesn't bear thinking about when it goes through the HP pump :shock: .

Agreed. Among other things just look at how the suction control valves are sticking without running petrol through it. Id hate to think what else would be damaged. I cant imagine it would be to good for the fuel filter either.
coxy47

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Maybe a bit of Castrol Activ 2T doesn't hurt after all...
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Longranger1 wrote:I wouldn't even turn the key if I misfuelled. Tritons have a full recirculating fuel system so the lift pump would pull petrol contaminated fuel almost immediately...

Correct LR, as I have said all along. They circulate the system in seconds! Trust me. :roll:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

I fell victim today...

Postby TUFF TROOP on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:40 pm

I'm actually doing a full fuel system replacement ATM at work on a 8000k old challenger, new rail injectors pipes pump, filter and excessive cleaning etc VERY expensive job :) .. If you do put any unleaded in do not start it. Drain it and re fill with diesel ..
TUFF TROOP

I fell victim today...

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:42 pm

What were you planning on doing with the old injectors?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:46 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

I fell victim today...

Postby TUFF TROOP on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Old injectors are being kept as is the injection Pump and lines :-D
TUFF TROOP

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Pity, i think i could have found a home for those injectors...
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby contact on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:49 pm

i have a similar story to the patrol last page... 57lt od unleaded in a 65lt tank in a 2.4 diesel hilux... ran as good as it ever has on unleaded and kept on going just fine until i sold it with 400k on the clock! :lol:
contact

Postby jrs184 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:00 am

My thoughtful servo has bright orange stickers all over to indicate diesel and an orange plastic flange on the nozzle, trouble is one night I grabbed the orange stickered nozzle and started pumping when I realized the 2 ULP nozzles both had bright orange stickers advertising something on them and the diesel was plain black, wow did my all self coaching about not putting ULP in my new/old diesel come to nothing and I felt the complete fool for being in such a hurry and fell right into the colour coded trap. The attendant says they catch one person/week. I didn't turn the ignition on just pushed the triton back clear of the pump, called the NRMA 4 times, walked the km back to work rang on a landline, left my number for a recall 6pm, 11pm no NRMA, called the tilt tow guy, towed to mates place ($67), spent the night in the freezer draining the tank flushing with new diesel, next day, new filter, started first pop, consider my self lucky. Rang the NRMA again that day, nothing 2.5 days later got a recall from the NRMA... lesson: colour codes are there for a reason let's all be consistent aye....and if you think your wife and child may be stranded and belong to the NRMA so it will be ok then provide for another contingency as you may be overlooked however many times you call and if they stick you on the queue like they did to me 4 times without the leave your number for callback option, then say goodbye to your mobile battery charge as well. BTW the attendant didn't want to know about it apart from the smirk and me being the bunny for the week...jrs184 06 ML
jrs184

Postby BMD on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Done this once on my old truck...

I grabbed the hose on a cold and wet morning and filled the 100 litre tank right up from empty, put the nozzle back and did a double take at where I put the nozzle back- shit! Leaded fuel. :mrgreen:

but an even funnier story - a family friend took out some mates in his offshore fishing boat and one of his mates starts filling the boat up with fuel -LITERALLY! Turns out he removed the cap off a built in fishing rod holder instead of the fuel cap bahaha! :oops:
Cheers, Ben.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'11 GLX-R
BMD

Postby trouble on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:12 am

One of the blokes at my work did this to a brand new 200S Landcruiser with 500ks on the clock!!!!
Didn't start it and only put in 60 L of unleaded!

Got it towed to Toyota $800 later we are again driving it.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby balistc on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:50 am

If he didn't start it, do you mean to say that Toyota slugged him $800 to empty the fuel tank??
balistc

I fell victim today...

Postby trouble on Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:09 pm

balistc wrote:If he didn't start it, do you mean to say that Toyota slugged him $800 to empty the fuel tank??

Yep!
Not my money dont care
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby mattz on Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:13 pm

balistc wrote:If he didn't start it, do you mean to say that Toyota slugged him $800 to empty the fuel tank??

I don't imagine it would be cheap to dispose of the contaminated fuel "properly"
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Lunny on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:07 pm

$1.40 per litre, dangerous goods truck hire at $160.00 per hour min 4 hours
Last edited by Lunny on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunny
Lunny

Postby heps on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:03 pm

about two months ago I went to BP here in Geraldton and stuck the hose in but wouldn't flow waited as usual thinking the operator hadn't pushed the buttons but then realised that I had the BP high octane unleaded hose in filler hole and mustn't have been pumping due to wrong size hole, well thank god but im thinking some some cretin had swapped the hoses around putting the unleaded hose in the diesel slot..... faaaaark who would do that, told the operator who said they had several instances of it must be some people that enjoy knowing people having to spend thousands on engine rebuilds, I now always check the nozzle when filling up......
heps

Postby norto on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:13 am

You can buy a "diesel key" for about $80 which will only let a diesel nossle
fit in the filler.
Pete
norto

Postby dan.batto on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:18 am

norto wrote:You can buy a "diesel key" for about $80 which will only let a diesel nossle
fit in the filler.

Does it still work with different sized diesel nozzles? I've never paid too much attention to diesel nozzles and compared to the petrol ones but I have noticed there are the 2 different diesel nozzle sizes these days to accommodate all the smaller diesel cars.
dan.batto

Postby norto on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:23 pm

The high flow diesel nossle won't, you have to unscrew the diesel key it to use high flow.
Pete
norto

Postby balistc on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:19 am

mattz wrote:

I don't imagine it would be cheap to dispose of the contaminated fuel "properly"

One of our staff did this recently.. Put unleaded in a half full diesel tank, in a Mercedes Sprinter van.. Then drove it back to work. It wouldn't start after that.

Cost us a tow, and another 400 for labour to drain the tank and blow back the fuel lines to the tank (from the motor), a new fuel filter, and disposal of the fuel.
balistc

Previous

Return to General Discussion