Anything Triton related

Re: Vehicle Insurance : Who, What & How Much

Postby c-dale on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:40 pm

AAMI $790 ML GLX-R agreed value of $33 500
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mudme on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:44 am

Allianz charged me 105 a month for my mn glr, it's now with aami for 75 a month agreed value of 40k
Mudme

Postby Spike'sMN on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:52 pm

I paying $56 a month with Allianz on my GLXR manual, valued at $44800
The Deeper You Go, The Better It Feels.
Spike'sMN
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:58 pm

This is all very upsetting. Lowest price I could get was more like $1,500 a year and valued at less than $40k. I'm assuming I go over some limit on the number of modifications but it's in a security car park and I haven't had an at fault claim for 25 years. Sydney tax I guess.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby moses on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:28 pm

'13 GLXR, 27yo driver - AAMI $945, insured for $44800
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Monkeyz on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:13 pm

2010 GLX-R, old fart at the wheel - AAMI $435 per year, full replacement like for like inclusive of any mods or pay out if unable to replace.
Must say I am a Diamond AAMI member 15 years with em, I also get 2 free windscreens a year and a no loss rating.

Mojo....
Monkeyz

Postby siwren on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:07 am

HI All,

I recently received my renewal from Affinity and wasnt happy with the massive price hike, and after speaking with them they wont cover the car for even a legal increase in tyre diameter (eg going to 31 inch tyres is a 1.5 inch increase and though legal they wont cover it) so they are in the bad books. Ringing around with other 4wd brokers I'm not happy with their responses either.

However NRMA (IAG) is reasonable, will cover the car for all mods that are legal including engineered cars and they say that they cover the car for offroad use. This is due to the fact that off road use isnt mentioned in the exclusions and by default means that they do cover it. So my question is:

Does this really hold true?
Does anybody here use NRMA and had a claim for an issue that happened off road?
Has anyone drowned/rolled/etc whilst off road with NRMA and had no issues claiming?

They said that they wont cover anything that was considered illegal, racing or deliberately dangerous. Given that many of the river crossings on the Tele track, etc are actually part of the track I cant see them denying a claim based on it be "deliberately dangerous".

However, the proof comes from experience and I'm hoping a few here can help.

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

See my Triton build: Si's Tri
My Shed
siwren

Postby Calblitzen on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:12 am

Mines with NRMA and recently had a claim approved after damage from a 4WD trip. Getting new bullbar, sidesteps, dent in tub, front guard all repaired.
They looked after me years ago when I rolled my Patrol.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby Amaroo on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:00 pm

I'll be having a read of this thread now as I just called my insurer to change the usage on the Triton to daily use for work (from limited use) and they now won't insure it. Bugger!
Amaroo

Postby Vluchee on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:14 pm

We just renewed with YOUI for $395 with $500 excess, but its market value. That includes covering the canopy
Vluchee

Postby gaspode on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:28 pm

Just renewed with NRMA for $928.68 with an agreed value of $38550. This includes all mods and extras too.
This is the best bad idea I have
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Thommo3337 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:37 am

i have found racv the cheapest in vic did the ring around as soon as u modify kmowone wants to know u racv shifty in that they say every mod that is legal they will ensure. wont say whether they agree or not what is legal. asked them what there offroad policy was and they said as long as u not tryibg to climb mountains asked what degree inclination that was and was told as long as u arent trying to do something your car cant. i said so if a similar car gets through and i write mine off i covered and she said i guess so.
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Postby Amaroo on Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:17 am

Thommo3337 wrote:......... was told as long as u arent trying to do something your car cant. i said so if a similar car gets through and i write mine off i covered and she said i guess so.

I'd steer clear of that policy, the time you need your insurance most off-road is when you don't end up being able to do something you thought you could.

I settled on changing my insurance this week from Shannon's to DGA. To quote directly from DGA:

"Full on and off road cover, anywhere in Australia, no restrictions, not just gazetted roads, includes beaches and your own tracks".

After ringing around and taking other factors into consideration like having my choice of repairer, no extra to pay by the month and coverage for current and future modifications, plus the unambiguous off road coverage they got my business.

I could have saved a few dollars with a couple of other insurers but the whole discussion around what is covered off-road just made me cringe. Last thing I want is to make an error of judgement off road and be sitting in the bush wondering if I am covered or not.
Amaroo

Postby Snooozy on Thu May 08, 2014 10:39 pm

received my renewal a couple of days ago.

all of the accessories/mods were not listed, they had each been replaced with the phrase "other accessories/modifications. :?

I gave them a call tonight & it appears an upgrade to their systems/software had not transferred the actual mods.

It pays to check your policy carefully when you get the renewal. :geek:

The guy was very helpful & we got it sorted ok.

mods/accessories now listed & covered with an agreed value of $33,020

& as my last payment is in a couple of weeks the premium went down due to not being under security by the finance company.

am waiting on the updated policy, but the new premium should be under $990

we have 2 cars & house with the same company so get a 10% discount.

The company is GIO by the way.

on a side note it turns out the guy on the phone drives an earlier model Tri, so we ended up chatting about mods :lol: I told him about NTN he might even show up on here soon ;)

group buy discount for insurance would be a good idea I rekon :idea: :lol:
he could get salesman of the year ;)
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby baito on Fri May 09, 2014 5:29 am

Just renewed mine last night, switched to aami from racv , got it covered for agreed value of 42,500 for $735.00. Racv wanted approx $100 more for agreed of $33500
baito

Postby viking shippy on Fri May 09, 2014 5:44 am

Just FYI
Do you know that most insurers use what's called the lazy tax...if you want to save 100 bucks pick up the phone and threaten to leave cause you have a better price...works for me very year on all my yearly contacts....I question them every year..
Bloody robbers they wack another 10% on for loyalty....pricks..
viking shippy

Postby baito on Fri May 09, 2014 6:09 am

Yeah I was aware of that vs, but they wouldn't come to the party by lifting the value so it was see ya later
baito

Postby AdamB on Fri May 09, 2014 7:31 am

Sgio $41000 cover for $970 covers all mods and 4wding as long as its legal to get there
AdamB

Postby peterdeg on Fri May 09, 2014 8:53 am

Snooozy wrote:all of the accessories/mods were not listed, they had each been replaced with the phrase "other accessories/modifications. :?

I gave them a call tonight & it appears an upgrade to their systems/software had not transferred the actual mods.

Interesting, I rang GIO the other day to let them know I'd installed the bullbar and suspension.
The response I got was "you do not have to tell us about accessories any more, with the new policy terms all accessories are covered up to the agreed amount"
Quick mental calculation and the agreed value of $51k seemed ok.

Even so, I'll shop around come renewal time.
Peter
2011 MN GLX-R manual.
Some pics here.
Build thread here.

4WD History: 2004 NP GLS Pajero DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL wagon. Learnt in a 1980 F100.
peterdeg
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Fri May 09, 2014 5:34 pm

yeah, thats basically what he said, we listed them in the notes section anyway.

I had a hunt around for a better deal today after looking at the previous posts. could not get anybody to value the vehicle above $28k including mods :o
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby UAV on Fri May 09, 2014 11:40 pm

Dga insurance brokers (underwritten by Allianz)

2013 bt50 market value. (Approx $40000)
All accessories listed and covered. (Covered for parts and installation about $15000)
29 y/o
Had a claim 1.5 yrs ago (my fault and wrote off 2 cars)
Covered for full offroad cover anywhere in Australia
Covered for river crossings
Covered for contaminated fuel

Premium is $850.

I did increase my excess to $1500 though.

Highly recommended.
UAV

Postby UAV on Fri May 09, 2014 11:45 pm

Snooozy wrote:yeah, thats basically what he said, we listed them in the notes section anyway.

I had a hunt around for a better deal today after looking at the previous posts. could not get anybody to value the vehicle above $28k including mods :o

Snoozy, my 98 Gq patrol was insured for $27500 last year and I was paying about $900. Car plus full replacement price of every single accessory on the car, I had about $20k in mods and they were all covered. I also made a claim that was my fault 2 days after taking out the policy and I had mods that were not engineered (4"lift, drop boxes, 35s, turbo and intercooler) and there was no questions asked. Not problems at all.

Edit
Also through DGA insurance brokers
UAV

Postby KevO78 on Sat May 10, 2014 3:44 am

Does anyone use Budget direct? i got a quote from them the other day and its almost $900 cheaper then aami, with a higher agreed value. Just need to find out if they cover offroad before switching
KevO78

Postby fridgie on Sat May 10, 2014 5:10 am

Snooozy wrote:yeah, thats basically what he said, we listed them in the notes section anyway.

I'll have to double check my policy but pretty sure Daisy's agreed value is 38k
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby ESPXXX on Sun May 11, 2014 6:42 pm

My November 2013 MN Dual Cab GLX + Value at $39,000 $610 with first year new replacement, off road cover, buy back, choice of repairer and also have 2 other cars and house. Live in country vic.
With Shannons and the best company I have delt with over the years.
ESPXXX

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion