GLS fastback?

Triton in the media

Re: GLS fastback?

Postby spargo on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:09 am

there's a 'red' one on the inside showroom floor at Nundah Mitsubishi at the moment. not sure if they'd be getting it out in a hurry for a test drive..

it looks ok, but at the GLS spec and price, is it worth it???

not for me, but horses for courses.
spargo

Postby Jiminy on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:10 pm

An article went up on www.caradvise.com.au today.

Might be of interest ofr those interested in the fastback.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/19330/2009- ... ck-review/
Jiminy

Postby Homer on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:47 pm

It doesn't read like an article written by someone with any experience in this style vehicle to me.

Some of the things he doesn't like - while having merit - are class leading features.
He appears to be critiquing it based on a family sedan and only drove it to and from work for a couple of weeks???

I would totally disregard this particular article - both good and bad points and wait for a more detailed comparison test between utes.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Naff on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:33 pm

Bah humbug.

As Homer advised - disregard the article - he obviously has no idea about the Triton now, or prior to the Fastback. Was interesting to learn about the $7,500 difference though. That will put it back in HiLux price territory... can't see it selling very well... but I'm an engineer, not a salesman or a marketing guru :D
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Avenger4x4 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:00 am

I reckon save yourself 8k and get one of our sport tonneau covers! :lol: ;)
Avenger 4x4 Accessories
Avenger4x4

Postby Sapient on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:11 am

Avenger4x4 wrote:I reckon save yourself 8k and get one of our sport tonneau covers! :lol: ;)

You would say that! :roll: LOL

Not sure if I posted this earlier but a saw a black fastback in the flesh the other day, looked better than the pics but desperately needed different alloys, the factory alloys don't seem to match the look for some weird reason.
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby robbo on Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:24 pm

That bloke as got no F*&king idea what he is talking about with the extras and so on :x
give it to one of us on this forum and we will test it for them :idea:
We run in while everyone is running out
robbo

Postby rosscoact on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:27 pm

I've had mine for a month now and have put about 5000k on it.

This is my first ute and first 4WD so forgive the shallowness of my review. I got a towbar and bullbar plus a few extra bibs and bobs.

I absolutely love it. The first day I owned it I spent 13 hours driving in torrential rain including a few hours on fire trails at night in the fog lost near Dargo. Since then I have not done any low range (4WD training course on the 17th) but lots of hours highway driving commuting and dry firetrails and camping. Once I got used to not driving a petrol sedan with a heap of poke, life's a dream.

The bad part is the space under the canopy is too small for carting all the crap we need for camping. One of the two side latches keeps failing, back in the shop tomorrow. It's a pain to remove the tonneau but not hard. I'm not used to having duco scrapes along the side :D Leather is not good for camping.

Even though the shocks are upgraded on this model with the back seat and the tub fully loaded and a DRZ on a bike carrier, it sits too low to cross steep erosion humps.

I think with govvie pricing, no stamp duty or GST it was about $40k drive away, Damn good value imho

As far as the review on caradvice goes, if you can't parallel park this with the mirrors you shouldn't be driving. The steering turning circle isn't noticible, the payload is 1000k not 870k, the CD is a 6 disc not single, he doesn't mention the standard issue diff lock, the fuel usage gets less after 4000k or so but he's right about the seats.
rosscoact

Postby Adz on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:38 am

The main thing I didnt like about the GLS Fastback when I was looking at buying a triton is the hard cover's hinge point is about half way down the cover, not like the GLX-R. This to me seems stupid as there is no way you can put stuff into the tray & slide it all way to the back of the tray. You would basically have to climb in under the rest of the hard cover to get stuff in or out. :?
You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Postby rushN on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:21 am

Adz wrote:You would basically have to climb in under the rest of the hard cover to get stuff in or out. :?

Basically what I have to do with the canopy anyway :?
rushN

Postby Adz on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:51 am

rushN wrote:
Adz wrote:You would basically have to climb in under the rest of the hard cover to get stuff in or out. :?

Basically what I have to do with the canopy anyway :?

Yeah true but at least you would be able to kind of move around on your knees with the canopy rushn...with the fastback cover, you'd have to more or less lie down!....each to his own tho, I think they look great, just not for me. ;)
Adz

Postby rosscoact on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:07 pm

Ah no, no climbing in, unless you are a dwarf of course. And if you are a dwarf, I apoligise for causing offence. :lol:

There really isn't any issue with loading the back full for camping except this. The hinge has a downwards pointing lip which means you can put a plastic jerry in the rear corner, a 50l esky in the rear half but slide neither of them into the forward part behind the cabin.

There is plenty of flat stuff which loads into this space but it would be better if the heavier stuff could be further forward.
rosscoact

Postby Adz on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:00 am

rosscoact wrote:Ah no, no climbing in, unless you are a dwarf of course. And if you are a dwarf, I apoligise for causing offence. :lol:

There really isn't any issue with loading the back full for camping except this. The hinge has a downwards pointing lip which means you can put a plastic jerry in the rear corner, a 50l esky in the rear half but slide neither of them into the forward part behind the cabin.

There is plenty of flat stuff which loads into this space but it would be better if the heavier stuff could be further forward.

Ahh yep, ok that makes sense rosco...actually now that I think of it, I think it was ur GLS I was perusing at Bill Lilley, if thats where you got it from?
Adz

Postby rosscoact on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:57 pm

Adz wrote:
rosscoact wrote:Ah no, no climbing in, unless you are a dwarf of course. And if you are a dwarf, I apoligise for causing offence. :lol:

Ahh yep, ok that makes sense rosco...actually now that I think of it, I think it was ur GLS I was perusing at Bill Lilley, if thats where you got it from?

I got mine from NCM in Braddon. it's the third car I've bought from them and we have a good relationship (so far).

Off topic, did you find a 4WD course?
rosscoact

Postby Adz on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:53 am

I havent yet rossco....Im still keen to find one tho!
Adz

Previous

Return to Triton News