MN Dual Battery

Re: MN Dual Battery

Postby motoz on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:13 pm

My battery is on the tow bar though I mounted the CTEK behind the rear seat. There is a large rubber grommet blank on either side of the rear fire wall near the floor panel join.

If you remove one of the rear wheel inner arches you can access it easy. I just used a spade bit to drill through and pushed the runs of 6 B&S straight through the middle.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:15 pm

One option is to pull back the liner in the wheel arch under the fuel filler - you'll see a couple of potential routes into the back of the cab right in front of you then.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby odie602r on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Sounds great. What's the knack to getting off the rear wheel inner arches?
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:37 pm

odie602r wrote:Sounds great. What's the knack to getting off the rear wheel inner arches?

Screwdrivers and sockets. Not hard, have a look ;)
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:39 pm

Plastic screws from memory. But it's a faint memory. It's not hard anyway and you only need to pull back the front half. There's a thread somewhere about running wiring to the tub through that front corner where someone mentions how to remove the splash guard but if I can do it, anyone can.

Cowboy Dave

Postby odie602r on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:40 pm

I thought there were some of those black target things that I can't seem to figure out how to get off without breaking ...!

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:06 pm

Do you mean scrivets? Black and round with a small circle in the centre? If that's what you mean get a small phillips head screw driver and push the centre bit inwards. You should then be able to lever out the outside bit.

Too lazy to go out in the cold now to double check...

Cowboy Dave

Postby motoz on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:51 pm

The ones in the rear arches are the Phillips head type. You unscrew the inner then lift out the outer part of the clip. They can be a real PITA to re install though. A lil trick is to wrap some electrical tape around the four prongs before you push them in. This stops them bending apart while being inserted. Once the outer is in position you just push the inner straight it to lock it in place.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:55 am

Kegsy wrote:Wirtzy, I've got mine behind the rear seat. 105AH AGM.

I think there is a pic in my shed...

also this link in my build has mine and 6irths setup behind the rear seat. 6irths is quite nice with a compressor setup also.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6412&hilit=kegsy&start=25

So I'm up to installing the second battery with the plan being to do so behind the seat. I've had a good look at Kegsys via the pic in his shed, but I can't figure out what or how the battery tray is mounted to. Was the rear baby seat raised anchor point that on the MY2012 is right where your battery tray is, removed?

I can't see how a bought steel battery tray will easily mount with that raised screw down point left there, for two reasons. 1. I don't know what else it would be bolted to to hold it, and 2. The height is such that the battery is just touching the back of the seat. But I also don't want to cut out a baby seat screw down point unnecessarily...

I obviously want to make sure the battery is secure.

Also, were pre-existing holes used to mount the wood panel that the ctek and fuse box is on? Did you need to tap a thread?

I havent seen a post from Kegsy on here in a while, so if anyone else has done similar I'd be equally interested.

I'm considering getting a friend to weld up a battery tray out of 50x50x3 angle, but it's still a bit touch and go re the top of battery touching rear of seat (my battery is 120ah) if I have to go on top of the baby seat anchor point. I'm assuming I would also have to span across to screw into the middle anchor point that anchors the jack. That is unless I drill through the floor but I'd rather avoid that ...

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:26 am

I have my aux batt behind the rear seat also

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7379&start=75#p213963
partway down the page

bolted the tray down while I had the fuel tank out when fitting the long-range tank
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:22 am

Thanks Snooozy

It's hard to see from your pics because of the black background, but did you remove the child restraint anchor point on the left of vehicle? It looks like your batt tray is flush with the floor of the tub. (In the MY12 GLXs there is a child restraint anchor point on right and left of car, raised up like the car jack point is)

Couple of questions too - for anyone, not just Snooozy necessarily.

1. How did you mount all your accessories to the vertical back of the tub (eg fuse holder, ctek, Anderson plug etc) - again its a bit hard to see with the black background.

2. I'm not planning on taking out my standard fuel tank for some time - could I realistically reach up and around and get some sort of plate under there? I there enough clearance to at least get a hole drilled, then insert a nursert?

3. What's peoples thoughts on removing an official child restraint anchor point? I personally don't need it, family is old enough now that I only need one and that's on the other side. Just got possible legal ramifications in the back of my mind.....

Thanks again in advance.

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:13 am

I did not have any restraints fitted so cannot comment on them.

the black background is a piece of painted ply bolted to the rear wall (probably the restraint bolt mounts)

if you have a look at my build thread there is some more pics in earlier posts, they may be easier for you to see how I went about fitting the extra components.

I think it would be very difficult to get above the tank while its in place. Nutserts would be a good option but you may need 3 or 4 to make sure it is secure
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Electrical