Blown Fuse? No stereo/trip/lights?

Blown Fuse? No stereo/trip/lights?

Postby Bammo on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi Guys,

I removed the roof console this afternoon to measure the space in there along with the trip computer. Both the computer and console light unclip easily. Did the measurements and plugged them back in to find:

1) No interior lights
2) No stereo
3) No trip computer
4) The trip odometer reset to zero

Any ideas? I went through the fuse box under the drivers side dash and checked every fuse + the fusebox under the bonnet + the fusible links out of the battery. All test OK in-circuit.

Last time I removed the trip computer I lost the memory in the computer but nothing else went wrong?
Bammo

Re: Blown Fuse? No stereo/trip/lights?

Postby Homer on Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:05 am

Sorry I can't help, but it would be a terrible shame if your OD started from zero again ;)

I might start poking around the wiring with a fork......
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby c-dale on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:20 am

Had this happen to me, from memory it was the fuse for the internal lights. Drove around for days with no radio till i fugured it out, damn near drove me insane :)
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bammo on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:40 pm

It's only the trip odo that reset, not the master odo Homer!

I figured it would be the fuse for the internal lights since it would a logical assumption that when I removed the console I somehow shorted the wire. Only problem is, I've checked every single fuse under the dashboard with the multimeter and they all show as good. I'll go back into it tonight and physically remove each fuse and inspect.
Bammo

Postby Homer on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Yeah I know...can't help myself :D
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Bammo on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:18 pm

Solved it - it was the interior light fuse. Tested this fuse "in circuit" with the multimeter and it checked out fine, removed it from the holder and it was clearly blown. Turns out the pressure from the multimeter probes was enough to re-connect the broken link in the fuse :shock:

Still buggered if I know why the trip odometer would reset each time you turned off the car with a blown interior light fuse but there you go....
Bammo

Postby MN GLXR on Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:49 am

Well a few years ago the Mrs had a 2005 Suby Outback that suddenly would not exceed 25km/h with foot to the floor. Some might think that is normal for the Suby :lol: but no one could fix it.

Turns out that a blown tail light was the cause. Changed the light and problem solved.

Sack the elec engineer who designed that model :x
MN GLXR

Postby gmhl on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:28 am

I had the same drama happen to me also. I somehow blew the interior light fuse while changing the bulb out for the interior dome light. I nearly lost my mind trying to work out what went wrong and ended up calling RACQ, only cos I was staying at a hotel and it was the Thursday before Good Friday (7.30 at night too).

They replaced the fuse for the interior light and couldn't offer me any explanation for it.
gmhl

Postby MitsiGuy on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:19 pm

gmhl wrote:I had the same drama happen to me also. I somehow blew the interior light fuse while changing the bulb out for the interior dome light. I nearly lost my mind trying to work out what went wrong and ended up calling RACQ, only cos I was staying at a hotel and it was the Thursday before Good Friday (7.30 at night too).

They replaced the fuse for the interior light and couldn't offer me any explanation for it.

Its called an IOD fuse

when the tritons are imported the there are 2 fuses not installed. They are installed at PDI just to try to prevent flat batteries..

The could be many reasons for the fuse to blow as many things run off of them. Just keep an eye on it and see how it goes.
MitsiGuy

Postby gmhl on Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:33 am

MitsiGuy wrote:
gmhl wrote:I had the same drama happen to me also. I somehow blew the interior light fuse while changing the bulb out for the interior dome light. I nearly lost my mind trying to work out what went wrong and ended up calling RACQ, only cos I was staying at a hotel and it was the Thursday before Good Friday (7.30 at night too).

Its called an IOD fuse

when the tritons are imported the there are 2 fuses not installed. They are installed at PDI just to try to prevent flat batteries..

The could be many reasons for the fuse to blow as many things run off of them. Just keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

It was a dodgy bulb that caused it. The bulb that I was told to buy was the wrong size and It blew the fuse
gmhl

Return to Electrical