light for ute lid

light for ute lid

Postby tassietriton on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:05 pm

Hey all,
Has anyone fitted a light to the underside of the ute lid which comes on when the lid is lifted?
if so, was an aftermarket kit fitted or has anyone made one up from scratch?
tassietriton

Re: light fro ute lid

Postby Naff on Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:07 pm

I'm right in the middle of doing it from scratch.

I got two small LED arrays off http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3873. I've run cable from the battery, along under the car to a 4x fused terminal box mounted under the car alongside where various other relays are sitting (probably for rear lights).

Reason for the fuse box - I've got accessories power running to two terminals and straight through power running to the other two. Have installed a flush mount accessory socket in the rear tray above the left hand guard. And I am installing two 90mm 55w lights in the two circular cut outs in the rear bumper to give me a bit more light while reversing (as others have done).

Finally I'm putting the two LED arrays in the underside of the hard cover. I have made a switch box with voltage regulator (so I don't kill the LEDs with overvoltage) and am installing a plug/socket at the front of the tray to unplug each time I remove the cover. Cable comes through a drilled hole in the front of the tray (near the left hand tie point as that's the only part I could access due to the liner).

I'm only doing it this way because I was running power down the back anyway - an easier way would be to go to Bunnings or somewhere similar, by one of those circular stick on LED lights and stick them to the underside of the tray - you will have to replace the batteries once in a while but it saves a lot of work in the long run.

Will take pictures once I'm finished (maybe this weekend). And will upload a circuit diagram too if anyone is interested.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tassietriton on Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:16 pm

thanks Nathan - I am suprised no-one has made up an after market kit similar to the lid lok I had insttalled the other month.

Let me know how you get on.
tassietriton

Postby Iron_eagle70 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:00 pm

My old lid before the canopy I had stuck one of them $9 Osram 3 led things that are push button you can get from Coles. Doesn't come on when you lift the lid. But only one push and cheap as chips. Well maybe a few bucks worth of chips.
Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow
Iron_eagle70

Return to Electrical