Reverse Lights?

Reverse Lights?

Postby Raz89 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:20 am

Hey Guys,

I'm currently looking at upgrading to a set of 2 auxillary reversing lights and was wondering what would be best out of the following:
The Hella Comet 450's (which are dedicated reverse lights)
http://db.hella.com.au/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?flcmd=preview&flmaint=2886
or the Hella Halogen FF Single Beam Work Lamp (which are classed as a work light)
http://db.hella.com.au/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?flcmd=preview&flmaint=2092.

I am currently leaning towards the work light as it would allow me to use the lights more effectively when setting up camp areas or the such at night time, but these would need to be three way switched i would assume as in small car parks and the such they would be too overpowering. What is everyones thoughts on the matter and I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks in advance

Jarrod
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Raz89

Re: Reverse Lights?

Postby ML-VR08 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:42 am

Mate i got 55watt reverse lights in my truck and they are great - i assume these would be around the same power and light range. Great for camping etc...i would also go for the work light!!!
ML-VR08

Postby Naff on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:57 am

I put two 90mm 55W in the rear bumper - they work a lot better than the factory reverse lights - maybe even too bright off certain surfaces!
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Narloo on Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:48 pm

I was thinking of installing the standard Fog lights into the rear, Iknow some have done this how do they work??
Narloo

Postby Naff on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:05 am

You just need to hook them up like driving lights. Either run a supply down the back to a relay for the new lights, then pick up an existing reversing light wire for the coil, or mount a relay in the front and run the pickup wire from the existing lights back to the front. I did the first version. Remember you need a fuse between the battery and relay though.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:56 pm

I've just finished installing a 55watt set fitted in the bumper. They work a treat. I can actually see behind me now and make reversing out of the driveway at night simple. The driveway is 50m long, uphill and windy. Next step is to set up a switch so they can work anytime rather than just in reverse.
I also found that ARB can be a bit dodgy in their work. :o When they ran the wires for the canopy, they drilled a hole into the tub behind the drivers side taillight but didn't bother repainting it. :roll: It's starting to rust now. Looks like I'll be rubbing this back shortly to get a coat of paint on it.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Electrical