Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Re: Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Postby Earlyninja on Fri May 02, 2014 9:00 am

If this allows the trip computer and a double din stereo to fit and work together... 8-)
Earlyninja

Postby rodeddy on Fri May 02, 2014 3:53 pm

I'm on nightshift at moment and got kids sports etc this weekend ... hopefully get a chance on my days off, starting Tuesday.
cheers :)

Cowboy Dave wrote:That will be the $130 question. Not real worried about brackets and clips etc just whether it fits neatly with the existing dash panels either side.
rodeddy

Postby rodeddy on Wed May 07, 2014 1:14 pm

I got around to fitting the new facia unit part number MI-8060A234XA.... fits perfect. No issues.
I simply fitted over the info display unit so pay no attention to it sitting in there. I have taken facia back off and put std back on for now.
I did notice that my info display unit is large, and this is no way going to fit in the new console ... does anyone know whether i can modify it or do i need buy the matching, smaller unit?
cheers, Rod :D

Click to view larger picture

:D :D
Last edited by rodeddy on Thu May 08, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodeddy

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu May 08, 2014 7:09 am

This one is fitted to the Challenger LS, looks to be the same as the one Rodeddy has used. The trip computer looks different.

White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby peterdeg on Thu May 08, 2014 8:45 am

Wish I had some CAD skills and owned a 3D printer.
There's a business opportunity for someone - custom consoles.
Peter
2011 MN GLX-R manual.
Some pics here.
Build thread here.

4WD History: 2004 NP GLS Pajero DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL wagon. Learnt in a 1980 F100.
peterdeg
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodeddy on Thu May 08, 2014 9:32 am

hi,
yes, the unit I bought is actually from a MY2013 challenger, as per the pic. Same part numbers. The trip computer is the same format but different body size, hence me asking the question, can I modify current one I have or do ineed buy the smaller version as per the pic...
cheers, Rod

BillMcQuade wrote:This one is fitted to the Challenger LS, looks to be the same as the one Rodeddy has used. The trip computer looks different.

rodeddy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 08, 2014 12:35 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen posts by guys who have trimmed them down a bit. You'll have to pull it out and work out what's essential in there and what's not. Then take to it with a dremel. Or you could sell me the hood instead :lol: :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby rodeddy on Thu May 08, 2014 1:00 pm

hey Dave ... nice try re the hood .. :) but I'm going to fit a Tablet in the double din space and keep my std radio system.
That way it keeps my voice activation etc as this seems to work well for me and i find it handy.
With the tablet i can download some handy apps, ie google maps, hook up OB11 info for certain apps, maybe Ulysse speedometer for drving info etc etc... all the things i use my phone for now..
I want to tether the tablet via my samsung smart phone ... That way my phone is just a phone and not doubling up with all the other info. At the moment i have all these apps i like and my screen a little too small lol.
I've pulled the multi info display out, thentook the plastic cover off. It sits in a large metal frame so not sure how the guys have made this smaller .... will see what info i can find
If all else fails, i need to buy the smaller Multi display info unit ... mm $ ?
cheers, Rod :D

Cowboy Dave wrote:I'm pretty sure I've seen posts by guys who have trimmed them down a bit. You'll have to pull it out and work out what's essential in there and what's not. Then take to it with a dremel. Or you could sell me the hood instead :lol: :lol:
Last edited by rodeddy on Thu May 08, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodeddy

Postby insomniac92 on Thu May 08, 2014 1:01 pm

Hmm... so I've phoned 3 mitsubishi dealers in Sydney, given them the 3 different part numbers mentioned in this thread (the one for the complete unit, and then tried the two separate part numbers) and all of them have said that the part numbers don't exist. Can anyone let me know which dealer you got them through, or clarify the part numbers please.
Thanks
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Yeah but whether the smaller one will talk to the computer in yours will be another thing again.

I don't have the info display in mine but do have a double din sized MMCS unit up top so I was thinking of using the extra top bit as the basis for either a tablet mount or a reverse camera screen mount. I have a google nexus 7 which would be about right. It will stick up a bit beyond the hood but could hopefully be made to look tidy.

Cowboy Dave

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu May 08, 2014 2:28 pm

insomniac92 wrote:Hmm... so I've phoned 3 mitsubishi dealers in Sydney, given them the 3 different part numbers mentioned in this thread (the one for the complete unit, and then tried the two separate part numbers) and all of them have said that the part numbers don't exist. Can anyone let me know which dealer you got them through, or clarify the part numbers please.
Thanks

Just tell them you want the one from a MY13/14/15 PC Challenger. Show them the pictures from this thread, or get them to look at a car in stock. Sometimes parts blokes need a bit of prodding to get any help :twisted:
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodeddy on Thu May 08, 2014 4:15 pm

hi
the part number is MI-8060A234XA , just checked the order form. On the original piece paper i wrote down a Z at the end instead of an A .. .. sorry guys.. :oops: .and ordered through Tynans motors, kirrawee, NSW
cheers, Rod ....it was $133.65 with my trade discount :D

insomniac92 wrote:Hmm... so I've phoned 3 mitsubishi dealers in Sydney, given them the 3 different part numbers mentioned in this thread (the one for the complete unit, and then tried the two separate part numbers) and all of them have said that the part numbers don't exist. Can anyone let me know which dealer you got them through, or clarify the part numbers please.
Thanks
Last edited by rodeddy on Thu May 08, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rodeddy

Postby insomniac92 on Thu May 08, 2014 4:26 pm

Thanks for checking.
Cheers
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodeddy on Thu May 08, 2014 4:31 pm

no worries and sorry again :oops:
insomniac92 wrote:Thanks for checking.
Cheers
rodeddy

Postby rodeddy on Thu May 08, 2014 4:39 pm

sounds like a plan ... my only issues with using a tablet are:
can i access to turn on/off ..or
I am going to have permenant power hooked to the tablet and was hoping i can program it to turn on once external power supply is connected (rather than on/off switch) and turn off when external power supply is off ie ignition on/off.
I also want to check whether my phone can be connected via bluetooth for handfree phone AND tether to the tablet at the same time. :?:
cheers, Rod

Cowboy Dave wrote:Yeah but whether the smaller one will talk to the computer in yours will be another thing again.

I don't have the info display in mine but do have a double din sized MMCS unit up top so I was thinking of using the extra top bit as the basis for either a tablet mount or a reverse camera screen mount. I have a google nexus 7 which would be about right. It will stick up a bit beyond the hood but could hopefully be made to look tidy.
rodeddy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 08, 2014 4:53 pm

Depends on the tablet. There was a guy here who used a nexus with a custom rom from memory that meant it could do the power stuff you're talking about. Hooking the power in neatly is an issue. I will need either a nice small right angle connector or to brave taking the back off it and soldering in my own power connection. The right angle connector has some issues though because I would need an OTG cable as my connection and most of them seem to only be about 6 inches long. My tablet already has a 4G sim so I don't think I'd have the tether issues but I also have a 4g wifi modem so that's my other option. Getting music from tablet to MMCS is another issue again.

We're way off topic now though, maybe you need a separate thread for this project so we can all watch with interest and chime in with unhelpful comments like most of the above from me? :oops: :oops:

Cowboy Dave

Postby 4wd26 on Thu May 08, 2014 5:04 pm

Thanks for the photos and confirmation of the part numbers
I have a spare trip computer here (have kept it since removed from the vehicle when new, and replaced with double din) so will take apart and see what we have
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby 4wd26 on Thu May 08, 2014 5:20 pm

In bits Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
Should be able to make it work with the bits and make it look neat, or get the part number of this "challenger" single din shroud and rear brackets for the full factory fit
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby rodeddy on Thu May 08, 2014 7:45 pm

hi,
interesting ... i shall see whether the challenger shroud is available as a separate part BUT i have a feeling it will be sold as a complete unit ...
cheers and thanks.

4wd26 wrote:In bits Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
Should be able to make it work with the bits and make it look neat, or get the part number of this "challenger" single din shroud and rear brackets for the full factory fit
rodeddy

Postby rodeddy on Thu May 08, 2014 7:47 pm

hey dave ... like your last paragraph ... too funny. cheers. :lol:
Cowboy Dave wrote:Depends on the tablet. There was a guy here who used a nexus with a custom rom from memory that meant it could do the power stuff you're talking about. Hooking the power in neatly is an issue. I will need either a nice small right angle connector or to brave taking the back off it and soldering in my own power connection. The right angle connector has some issues though because I would need an OTG cable as my connection and most of them seem to only be about 6 inches long. My tablet already has a 4G sim so I don't think I'd have the tether issues but I also have a 4g wifi modem so that's my other option. Getting music from tablet to MMCS is another issue again.

We're way off topic now though, maybe you need a separate thread for this project so we can all watch with interest and chime in with unhelpful comments like most of the above from me? :oops: :oops:
rodeddy

Postby rodeddy on Fri May 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Went to Mitsubishi and got a price on the multi function or trip computer to suit the Challenger hood facia - wait for it ......

$1,376.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o . i said, no not the GPS stereo head unit, the multifunction display ,Yep $1,376.00

Well, i think that's out ! :roll:

Is there anyone that has removed their std Triton multifunction display, ie fitted a 2din unit, and no longer wants it,
I would be happy to buy from someone so ican experiment with it to see whether i can get it to fit the new hood. I don't really want to modify my own in case it won't work????????

cheers, Rod

BillMcQuade wrote:This one is fitted to the Challenger LS, looks to be the same as the one Rodeddy has used. The trip computer looks different.

rodeddy

Postby 4wd26 on Fri May 09, 2014 2:36 pm

I was meaning the plastic shroud with buttons like my last photo
Also need to remember that the. Ml and mn trip computers will be different & maybe within mn year ranges
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby rodeddy on Fri May 09, 2014 5:24 pm

hi,
it only come as a 'complete unit' - no chance of just buying shroud and buttons parts.
......and yes, your correct, i will need the MN version.
cheers, Rod

4wd26 wrote:I was meaning the plastic shroud with buttons like my last photo
Also need to remember that the. Ml and mn trip computers will be different & maybe within mn year ranges
rodeddy

Digoption radio

Postby Muttley74 on Mon May 26, 2014 8:23 am

Hi Guys,

I have 2011 glx-r, I bought and installed the single din digoption radio with touch screen replacing the old trip computer up above, The steering controls an trip computer dont work. I have a cable left over from install and it plugs into data on radio but i have no other connections in harness to plug it in. The guy at digoptions is ignoring me ( now he has my money). He sent me a few pics were someother buyer had same issue , but they dont relate to triton,
Any advice?
Muttley74

Re: Digoption radio

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon May 26, 2014 9:15 am

Topics merged.

Muttley, most of the answers you seek are in this thread. Please research and read before you start a new thread.

On the issue of service, this sounds very out of character for Matt. I'd suggest that you contact him with specifics of your problem if you can't find the answers here.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical