What deep cycle batterey for auxillary

Postby ArrowsWA on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:50 am

I been doing a lot of research on what battery to use in a dual set up thus far came up with Basically not a lot of room under the bonnet, so you have your cranking primary battery then various dealers opplock for one offer a tray that fits a type 48 battery.For those of us unfamiliar type 48 is a smaller unit that restricts the number of amp hours (the important unit of measure in a deep cycle auxiliary) normally 55 max amp hours in this size unit.This didn't impress so here goes the alternatives I found.1 Put in a spiral (Century Yuasa supplied ) optimum battery as your primary (it's size t48 physical size. though offers maximum CCP (cold cranking power what you need to start the diesel up), put that in the smaller afte market tray then the aux battery can now be a zz size upto 150amp hour ability.Trouble is you have a good starting battery now unemployed and the spiral type battery is around $400.00 plus cost of a deep cyc battery on top off.Option 2 Put the deep cycle battery in the tray, local sparky can do this for about $500.00 included h/duty leads all isolators and 2 power outlets and plastic marine battery box in the tray (didn't include spare battery.130 amp hour unit cost around $270.00 This option chose because if you want you can later easily fit other batteries of up to 250 amp hours or dual 6v type A (100amps each) as a D I Y fitment.There are people whom have squeezed bigger batteries than type 48 under the bonnet of diesel Triton's but moved bits about to accommodate other thing to consider was poor airflow in crowded engine bay.I am assured that the battery in the tray even with the canopy is not of concern provided vent or sliding window partly open if someone was in there.If anyone else has information please share here so others dont need to do the research I did or know more alternative methods.Cheers

Ps there is a viable third option see thread article titled portable power units / packs
Live life now, Tomorrow might not get here
ArrowsWA

Postby Greedy on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:59 am

A lot of the choice comes down to what you want to use the batteries for. If you want to back up the starting battery because you run winches etc., you will probably be better off with another (albeit smaller) crancking battery under the bonnet. If you want to run a fridge and lights whilst away, your second option is the go.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ArrowsWA on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:10 am

yep its fridges n stuff for me. got one of them portable jump / power packs, should I ever flatten the main bat
Live life now, Tomorrow might not get here
ArrowsWA

Postby Greedy on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:42 am

what isolator and cable size did you go?

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stu on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:56 am

I've got a redarc smartcharge ($100), 6 metres of 100amp cable red & black (about $5 a meter) running from engine bay on top of chassis rail & up in between cab & tray in corrugated conduit then coming through the front of the tray, terminated with a 50amp anderson plug (got 4 off ebay for around $20) 2x100ah agm deep cycle batteries in the tray ($150 each, wired in parrallel with another 50amp anderson plug, 175amp anderson plug (for connection to 3000w inverter) a ciga plug & a hella plug all wired onto homemade battery box mounted at the front of the tray. My setup is for fridge/lights & I'll look at another battery up front for the winch but I don't think I'll need it. All up cost just under $500 and took about an hour to wire up
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby Greedy on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:16 am

Tritonstu,
Any info of how you got in through the front of the tray? Pics if possible.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stu on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:07 pm

13mm drill bit finished off with some primer & black gloss pressure pack and a bit of silicone to seal it up
Stu

Postby Greedy on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:48 pm

Good work. I have to admire someone willing to take the power tools to their car. Not enough damage on mine yet for me to muster up the courage. :oops:
Apparently, the taillight area is also a chance so will investigate there.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby King Triton on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:21 am

Tritonstu

Where did you find 100a/h batteries for $150 each
What brand, Style and size are they?
King Triton

Postby Stu on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:41 am

second hand, they're northstar batteries out of mobile phone towers

L396mm X W108mm X H287mm
Stu

Postby King Triton on Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:23 am

Tritonstu

Are they any good? do they just need a really good recharge or what? can you get some more?

King Triton

Postby Stu on Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:57 am

They're great, they're only 2yo (2006 build) with a 12 year lifespan if properly maintaned on trickle charge, which being in mobile towers I assume they have been on constant charge, yeah I can get more but freight to nsw may be a bit much as they weigh 35kg each
Stu

Postby Dirty_Ute on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:11 am

I went the trojan deep cycle battery, 130ah, Cost me $280 but is a supirior battery, Run lights, 100l waeco and 12v water pump for shower for 4 day camp and don't even have to start vehicle once.
Dirty_Ute

Postby Stu on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:29 am

greedy I missed your post, I had a look at coming through the tail light but still neede to drill it out, 2 lengths of 100amp cable ends up too big to fit

My setup ran a 65l engel on -19 (gotta keep the ice cream frozen) and my ebay special no name 55l on +4 also lights for 4 days with average temps around +20 during the day and +5 at night with the battery pack still on just over 10v by the end of the w/end
Stu

Postby Greedy on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:40 am

Thaks for the headsup. I won't be getting around to this for a while. I'm busy fitting a car computer at the moment. That's more than enough fun for the moment. :roll:

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Re: What deep cycle batterey for auxillary

Postby sam on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:25 pm

Thought it would be better to use an old thread rather than start another ;)

Does anyone know anything about Fullriver 12V AGM Deep Cycle batteries , good, bad or ugly as I'm looking for a good unit for our new Jayco camper.

Any other recommendations would be good as well
Have posted the link to the ebay page so any feedback appreciated ;)

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trk ... Categories
sam

Postby McSumWay on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 pm

I have had a 90ah fullriver battery in the engine bay of my Hilux for three years now and it has been faultless. Much better than the std lead acid style deep cycle that died in less than 12 months.

I have flattened it several times and each time it comes back. My 40l Engel lives in my car fulltime and the battery gives me around 4 days without running. I charge it with a ctek charger about every 3-4 months.

Warren
McSumWay

Postby Greedy on Fri May 01, 2009 8:34 am

I have a Thumper 100AH which performs very well. The price seems to have gone through the roof though. $100 dearer than the one I bought 4 months ago. I have only heard good things about Full River batteries as well. The thing to remember about deep cycle batteries is damage starts to be caused to them if discharged below 50%. Their life will shorten if discharge is taken below this. When calculating what size you want, find out your needs and allow for this by at least doubling the figure to ensure good battery life.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Fri May 01, 2009 7:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback and tips ie; not to discharge below 50%

This should not be an issue anyway as I have 2 unisolar 64 watt panels that will be charging the battery through a PWM solar regulator/charger so I figured one 100 ah deep cyle like a fullriver should be plenty to run fridge, pump, lights ( Led's ) and the ocassional use of a 1500/3000 W pure sine wave inverter, hope so anyway :?:
sam

Return to Electrical