Noise in the 12v aux feed

Noise in the 12v aux feed

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:23 pm

I've been playing around with a Belkin bluetooth device for transmitting music between ipad/iphone and the MMCS in my Triton.

It's like this one http://www.belkin.com/au/p/P-F4U037 except that mine must be an earlier model so doesn't come with the phone function.

Anyway in my centre console there are composite plugs for a video input to the head unit. Also in the centre console box is a 12v cigarette lighter style auxiliary outlet.

The belkin device comes with a little power plug that goes into the cigarette lighter and the 3.5mm headphone style plug then goes into a small y joiner to convert to RCA plugs for the audio in to the head unit.

So that all works pretty well but I've been getting 'noise' in the sound. I get two different kinds of noise, but both are only really audible in the quite bits between songs. Firstly, I get a quiet hum kind of background thing happening. Secondly, if I have the ipad on a charger when it's playing I get even worse noise.

I'm thinking that either I am getting interference or 'noise' in the 12v supply, or the wire from the device that carries the audio signal is picking up interference of some sort from the same 12v feed - there's not a whole lot of shielding or insulation or whatever on the wire, which is pretty thin to start with.

So, what I'm after, are tips on how I might be able to reduce the noise.

I recall when I was a kid you could buy a little filter to wire in but I thought modern vehicle electrics were a bit better than that. Also from memory the filter I'm thinking of either attached to the head unit or the aerial so that wouldn't help in this case.

Failing that perhaps I need to junk the belkin and try something else. :roll:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Re: Noise in the 12v aux feed

Postby helicoptercow on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:29 pm

I have the same thing, except I just have the ipod input mode with the 3.5mm jack. Different devices produce different volumes of interface too I noticed.

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:00 pm

If you haven't done it already, perhaps to eliminate the Belkin device as the problem run sound from your device simply through the 3.5mm sound cable, with everything else plugged into 12v source (barring the Belkin device).

Is the noise present? If not, it's the Belkin that's the problem. If there, then the Belkin isn't.

But are you using the Belkin to stream music via Bluetooth? It's just that you said you were connecting the audio via the 3.5mm lead that goes to the head unit - if I've understood this right, why do you need the bluetooth device at all?

(I've probably missed something really obvious :? :roll: )
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:14 pm

The audio connection is the audio out from the belkin. Why do I use this rather than just plugging in the ipad? No good reason, just because I like the idea of doing it wirelessly.

Cowboy Dave

Postby MN GLXR on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Dave, go to Jaycar and get some ferrites and put them on the 12v and audio cables that connect to the Belkin device.

You can buy rings or clip on ferrites. If you get the rings you will need to wrap each cable around each ring numerous times. The clip on ones just clip on to the cable.

They will suppress the interference - but not always.

The guys at Jaycar can explain.....or PM me.
MN GLXR

Postby odie602r on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:35 pm

I'd still suggest bypassing the Belkin with all else plugged in to 12v etc to see if the noise is from the Belkin unit - if you haven't already. Just eliminating possibilities.

This is a bit of a sidestep, but doesn't your model have built-in bluetooth? I'm assuming not, if you're trying out a 3rd party unit.

You're technically not doing it wirelessly though if the Belkin audio is then fed by cable into the audio head unit ... :?:

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:07 pm

I have bluetooth but only for the phone functions, no music streaming.

As for wired/wireless, if we approach it your way then there's no such thing as wireless ever, since there's always some wires in there somewhere.

The reason I was exploring it to start with was that I was contemplating dash mounts for a tablet, and didn't want a bunch of cables running from the centre console all the way to the dash all the time. Also if I had bluetooth happening, and a passenger with music on their phone, all they'd have to do is pair with it and we could then listen to their stuff.

In terms of elimination - the fact that the interference/noise increases when the ipad is using a car charger suggests to me that there has to be some noise coming from that charger in some way.

Cowboy Dave

Postby odie602r on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:27 pm

could it be the iPad charger itself then? Maybe try another one of those if you have a spare?

My MY12 GLX has bluetooth music streaming, so no wires at all ;)

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:27 pm

as was mentioned earlier,

I would give a ferrite filter a go

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LF1294
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:40 pm

odie602r wrote:could it be the iPad charger itself then? Maybe try another one of those if you have a spare?

I've tried more than one charger. But it's not just the charger since I get similar noise from the belkin even when the ipad is charger free.

Will give the ferrite a go and see what happen.

I'm assuming this is some sort of alternator noise or similar? Would I get cleaner power from the second battery in the tray?

Cowboy Dave

Postby odie602r on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:56 pm

Wonder if it's a similar thing then to what some people have posted re noise on their UHF when deriving power from the centre console or cig lighter plug.

Perhaps before you try a power source off the second battery you could run a temporary 'clean' power line straight from the main battery, just using some cable and do a makeshift lead (ie don't bother feeding it through grommets etc, straight from battery into cab).

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mooons on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:27 am

This noise you speak of is it only there when the engine is running
What other devices do you have plugged in
I know our GPS plays havoc with certain radio stations
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby FredSmith on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:51 pm

I had one of those Belkin wireless Doohickies :lol: . In the end I bought a new stereo and etc to stream music. As you hinted in an earlier post, it would be easier to get rid of it. I kept the usb charger only.
FredSmith
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Hmm just did a test with engine off and GPS off. Still some noise there at high volumes.

Might grab these ferrite things just to prove the concept.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Snooozy on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:01 pm

one way we used to work out where noise was coming from in the past was

with the engine running listen to the noise

shut off the engine, if noise continues during engine wind down, then it's in the alternator circuit

if it cuts the noise as soon as engine is shut off, then the cause is from the ignition circuit.

this was some years back & is probably more relevant to petrol motors.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:26 am

It is 'normal' to a point for there to be a bit of noise at high volumes when there are aux inputs plugged in - they all generate a bit of noise.

The more loops and circuits normally the higher amplitude of the background noise.

It's only considered problematic if that noise can be audibly heard when music is playing, which is what I think you've been describing

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby helicoptercow on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:44 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Hmm just did a test with engine off and GPS off. Still some noise there at high volumes.

Might grab these ferrite things just to prove the concept.

i picked up some ferrites yesterday from jaycar. The guy there agreed in principle but reckoned it probably wouldn't work, that there would be enough shielding on the wire to negate the ferrite and said i could return them thankfully, because he turned out to be right... the noise is still present. :roll:

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby peterdeg on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:05 am

I had horrendous noises for powered devices (tablet, laptop etc) that were connected to the rca ports in the console.
Fixed it with a ground loop isolator from Jaycar http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA3086
And a cheap fix at only $10.
Peter
2011 MN GLX-R manual.
Some pics here.
Build thread here.

4WD History: 2004 NP GLS Pajero DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL wagon. Learnt in a 1980 F100.
peterdeg
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kshep89 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:21 pm

Bump.

Did anyone find a solution to this? Did the ground loop isolator work?

I have a similar setup with the Belkin Bluetooth and get a whine that gets worse as the revs increase to the point I don't even use it any more. Before I had a CarCom cradle with RCA jacks and it suffered the same issue. Now I have a Smoothtalker cradle and this Bluetooth setup into the back of the head unit so there's power for the Belkin, the iPhone cradle and the UHF all in there... No wonder it has issues.

Or should I just cut my losses and install an aftermarket headunit that streams bluetooth / has an ipod connector. I can plug a USB Lightning cable into the cradle and then a headunit. This might be the go.

Cheers,
kshep89

Return to Electrical