2 DIN radio installation + info panel relocation (MN)

2 DIN radio installation + info panel relocation (MN)

Postby MakoShark2 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:04 am

So today I finally removed the stock radio unit and upgraded to something decent.

I went from this:
Click to view larger picture

to this mess:

And finally this:

I've took many pictures of the whole process that I'll posting here with details.

The new unit is a wonderful 2 DIN Android based radio, the Parrot Asteroid Smart.

The fitting kit is from Connects2 and is specific for the L200/Triton 2012 onwards.

Cheers from Lisbon, Portugal.
Last edited by MakoShark2 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
MakoShark2

Re: 2 DIN radio installation + info panel relocation (MN)

Postby coughy on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:40 am

what patch lead did you get???
very nice finished product mate well done.
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:46 am

Like the relocation kit for the display. Wonder if you can get that as a stand alone unit.
What is the quality like?

Thanks for showing us.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MakoShark2 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:48 am

Thanks!

This is the correct patch lead for this setup:

http://www.connects2.co.uk/HeadUnitProd ... TEROIDLEAD

Cheer from Lisbon, Portugal.
MakoShark2

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:27 am

:lol: I have a few photos like that middle one of yours. At some point you wonder if it will ever go back together.

Nice result though, even if the fitting kit is a bit expensive, all up looks like a bit over $1K AUD which isn't too bad if the quality is there. Android is definitely the way to go - so many choices and so much functionality.

Well done!
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby MakoShark2 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:24 pm

Hell yeah... The fitting kit really helps with the cabling, but I had to remove the complete lower trim to get this right.

I would say it's not top notch quality, but still above average and at par with the overall quality of the Triton interior.

The 2 din installation is an easy job, it was actually simpler than I expected.

The relocation panel was more tricky to install, at the end I had to get creative a bit for a perfect fit.

In the end, I got what I wanted. A good android head unit with all the necessary features and more, steering wheel controls operational and the info panel relocated.

Last edited by MakoShark2 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MakoShark2

Postby MakoShark2 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:48 pm

I'll start by describing the CTKMT07 fitting kit from Connects2.

So this is what I got.

a box full of bits.

yellow: 2din fitting kit, red: relocation info panel kit, blue: swc adapter + cabling
MakoShark2

Postby MakoShark2 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:15 pm

Top cover provided with the kit, from under.

Clips and claws, all there, good quality.

Brackets, frame and some rubber trim.

Brackets are plastic. There are two frames, one is more "thick" to cover a bit of area around the front of the head unit. And you'll get a piece of rubber trim for a perfect finish.

Relocation kit pieces.
red: front panel, yellow: back cover (main PCB), blue: panel buttons, orange: cover (compass PCB).

Instructions. Not much here, just for the cabling. I had to find out all the rest.
MakoShark2

Postby MakoShark2 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:16 pm

So first things first, radio and info panel removal.

Removing the radio is an easy job, you just need to make some handles (I've used two pieces of a strong copper wire).

Here it is.

After disconnecting the cables you'll get this. Two standard connectors (white) plus the ground cable (black).

Then, it's the top cover removal. I thought this should be the hard part, but no, it's actually quite easy.

By examining the replacement cover of the kit it helps to identify how the original cover is held in place.

There is two claws on the lower side of the cover, I've started from there by gently lifting the cover there.

The plastic is quite flexible there, it's not difficult at all. After that it's just a steady pull of the cover towards you.

The info panel is just held by 4 screws, after removing it and undoing the connection you'll get this.

And here it is. The plastic piece on top (red) is the compass PCB.
MakoShark2

Postby MakoShark2 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:02 pm

Next it's the info panel disassembly.

The front plate should come off by gently undoing a bunch of clips around.

I've used some toothpicks to lift the clips.

Inside there is a big PCB board.

From there you can unclip the upper plastic piece which holds the compass PCB and undo the connector.

Then you'll have to disassemble the front cover, it easy just undo the clips
We'll just need the purple visor (red) from there.

Which is placed inside the relocation panel upside down.

There is no clips there, it's a place holder. Kind of loose a fit, so I've used a strong double sided tape fromĀ  to hold it in place.

Buttons are not perfectly fitted. I've used the shaft of a screwdriver in the buttons holes of the relocation panel to mold them slightly. Easy job, just do it gently in order to not break the plastic.

After that, you place the main PCB on top of it that will be held with tow screws (red).

Here it is with the back cover. But it doesn't goes there right now. I'll get to that later.
MakoShark2

Postby MakoShark2 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:56 am

So back to the head unit.

Time to place Parrot's dual microphone above the rear view mirror. And it's really easy to do.

No need to remove the pillar trim, just needed to pull the rubber seal of the door and there is enough space to place the wire there.

For the roof it's even easier, just had to push the wire inside the lining.

Then I removed the lower dash trim - needed to unscrew the two screws and remove the clip (by pushing the center) of the footwell cover. The lower piece around the steering wheel came loose. The clips on the top a were the hardest to undo. I found it's easier when placing my hand from inside and push the clip outside from there.

After that I just needed to drive the microphone wire from the side to the center console. Easy job.

Back to the wiring.

Connections to be made:

- Car's ISO connectors (2 white, see above) to the kit harness.
- Car's ground connector to the kit harness.
- Patch lead to the SWC interface.

The SWC interface (model CTSMT005.2) should not be connected to the kit harness at this time, this is to be done later.

I had to swap the ground connector from the kit harness to something that could fit the car's ground plug.

After connecting the whole thing, I've wrapped up everything in a thin layer of foam (no additional rattles, thank you).

And thankfully there is enough place to place this mess of wires in the center console.

At the top I had now, the harness kit's ISO connector (red), the patch lead (yellow) of the SWC interface, the microphone jack (white), the video cable (green) for the rear camera), and the USB cable (blue) for the GPS antenna. There's a kind of pocket hole near the windshield (that will be covered with the top cover) which is the perfect place to hide the GPS antenna (blue). Just had to place it there with some strong double side tape.
Last edited by MakoShark2 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
MakoShark2

Postby MakoShark2 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:21 am

Now the head unit connections.

- (orange) patch lead. The SWC interface (model CTSMT005.2) must be connected before powering the head unit.
- (red) Parrot's harness ISO connectors to the kit harness.
- (blue) USB cables, 4 available, one of them is used for the GPS antenna.
- (yellow) camera cable.
- (white) car's antenna.

In the picture (brown) you'll see I've connected a green wire (park brake) to a black one (ground), that's one purpose, that's for fooling the head unit. For security reasons, some apps won't run if the car is not parked.
And the fellows at Parrot seem to have made the user's life easier by providing a spare ground connector that happens to match perfectly the park brake wire :)

You'll also see that I have the Parrot unit already placed in the new top cover replacement.

The provided brackets are held in the cover, and the head unit is held to the brackets with a pair of screws in each side - and the assembly should be done in this order. It's all plastic, but it's a tight fit and everything seems to be firmly secured. The Parrot unit is not heavy and shorter than a normal 2 din unit (it has no cd player). Time will tell if the whole assembly doesn't get loose. Meanwhile the look of the thing is fabulous, everything perfectly aligned and tight.

For the USB connections, I've routed two of the cables near the lighter. The other one (which is powered by the Parrot with 2A for charging) will be placed inside the glove box.

Time for a quick test to see everything is working before placing the top cover in its final place.
Last edited by MakoShark2 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
MakoShark2

Postby Shaunos83 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:47 pm

Hey mate, Just wanted to say thanks for the post!
I'm putting a parrot asteroid smart into my Triton and this has been quite helpful!!
Shaunos83

Postby MakoShark2 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:21 am

You're welcome, happy to help.

I've made an amendment. If forgot to specify that if you are the CTSMT005.2 SWC interface from Connects 2, this must be connected before powering the unit.

Although It's written in the instructions, it's not very clear.

Have fun!

The Asteroid is really a gem. I hope to make a review and explain how to make the most of it.

MakoShark2

Postby MakoShark2 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:01 am

So everything is OK. Pushed the cover in it's place, it's a perfect fit.

Now to the info panel.

At this I realized I needed to remove the whole lower trim to make a good job.

So the lower central piece should come off. Not difficult if you have already removed both side panels.

For the glove box, it's easy (see the picture above where I've routed one of the USB cables). You'll have to push gently from one side, then from the other to get it loose. Then with the door wide open you'll get access to the screws of the back panel and one clip that you should undo by pushing its center. You might want or not to loose the clip that holds the airbag connection to the panel, it's easy do it from inside.

So with the side panels loose it's easy to access the clips of the center lower trim. There is one clip (top corner) on the steering side, and about three on the other side. There's also a screw (bottom corner) on the steering side that shouldn't be there if you already removed the panel bellow the steering wheel (it hold both panels).

With the center panel out, I had access to the inside radio frame. And the back of the relocation panel fits perfectly there, see the picture (red is the main PCB connector, yellow is compass PCB connector).

But before that, I had to sort out where in hell the compass PCB should be placed.

The kit is provide with a plastic plate that will hold the original plastic case of the compass PCB, but the thing doesn't fit anywhere... At least I didn't found any obvious spot where it would fit naturally.
It's kind of weird... So as there were no instructions for this, I though the best place would be stuck to the back cover as the cable that connects it to the main PCB is quite short. The important here I think is that it should placed perpendicularly to the vehicle.

So with the help of some double sided tape I've sticked it to the back cover. Notice it is not perfectly aligned with the back, as there should be enough place for the main connector.

As it's shown in the above picture the main PCB attached to the relocation panel is placed outside the lower center console trim, and the back cover should go inside.

There are some metal clips (yellow) provided with the kit that although fit the sides of the relocation panel are not to be used here (I realized that after placing the panel). There meant to be used with the optional single din pocket that is also provided with the fitting kit (in case you don't have an info panel to relocate).
Although it's not very visible in the picture (red) there is an hole in each side which are there to hold two claws of the back cover. That's how the relocation panel is held in place from inside.

Problem is, mine didn't held in place. Beside that I wasn't confortable with the idea of the whole thing to be secured with two tiny claws from inside... So I solved the problem easily with a solder iron.

I made two holes on each side of the back cover.

And secured the thing with two zip ties (yellow, so anyone who tries to dismantle this will notice them).

Of course, it is not to forget to connect the compass board to the main PCB and connect this to the car's info panel connector to make a quick test, BEFORE tying the thing.

Important note: In my case, there was a capacitor on the main PCB that was in way. There is enough room to place the panel with the PCB in the center console, but press gently as this capacitor (red) will bend a little bit against the console.

Next with the info panel in its new place, I just needed to plug the grey connector (info panel) to the main PCB through the hole of the back cover. No problem with that, there is enough cable to do that easily. Then the center console goes to it's place, and next the same with the side panels.

And it's done!

Hope to review this wonder of head unit soon!

MakoShark2

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:33 am

awesome, great job with the writeup and very good pics :ugeek:
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby borngeek on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:13 am

Nice writeup very well done!

Parrot rules. This one coming looks the goods too.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/4/749157 ... o-ces-2015
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby nicktinalilly on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:24 pm

I'm curious if the existing wiring harness for pcb was long enough to re route to new location or if the kit came with an extension for it? If you could re route to new location, was this difficult?
nicktinalilly

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:12 pm

It sounded to me like he used the existing cabling

Next with the info panel in its new place, I just needed to plug the grey connector (info panel) to the main PCB through the hole of the back cover. No problem with that, there is enough cable to do that easily

I've heard with the MLs that there was enough cable to reach the transmission tunnel once you pulled the tape off the loom. Sounds like the MN might be the same.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby MakoShark2 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:40 am

Hello.

Yes, there is just enough cable (without pulling any tape) to route the info pannel down to the lower single din slot.

Last edited by MakoShark2 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MakoShark2

Postby MakoShark2 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:59 am

The new Parrot unit is very nice, and it's a big evolution from the Asteroid.

But, here's some reasons why I choosed the "old" Asteroid over the new RNB6.

- the new unit will cost a lot more, which is normal as it has a far superior hardware.

Pioneer's NEX units cost upwards of $800, that might give you an idea of what to expect.

- I don't need the upgrade over the Asteroid.

the single Cortex A8 @ 800Mhz might not be the fastest iron, but the hardware is well engineered and there is no problem whatsoever running 3 or 4 apps at once on the Asteroid Smart.
The new RBN6 is a build over 8 Cortex cores @ 1000Mhz... That's a configuration that I would expect for a mobile phone or tablet, not for car audio.
And the 6.2' screen is just enough, not missing the extra 0.8' of the RBN6.

- finally, the Smart firmware has evolved quite a bit these years, and now it's really stable and tunned.

the earlier firmware versions of the Asteroid where buggy and missing a lot of features, so it is to be expected that kind of things for the early years of the RBN6.

But, Parrot is going in the right way. This kind of setup is really where the car audio industry should be heading, and the french company has quite an head start over the competitors.

Last edited by MakoShark2 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MakoShark2

Postby Headley on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:15 am

Android 2.3 is a pretty old OS now,it does look a little dated.

On the upside that means far less possibilities for bugs and for additional apps to slow the system down.

Awesome installation, thanks for sharing! I been looking for a guide like this for a while now :D
Headley

Postby dk064 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:47 am

thanks mate, great pics etc
dk064

Return to Electrical