Daytime running lights

Daytime running lights

Postby Shepv8 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 pm

Has anyone fitted a light bar or any other setup on a MQ triton for use as daytime running lights which turn off when your regular headlights are switched on?
We're there any dramas with tapping into the wiring or do you need an Ecu module , like when installing trailer wiring etc
It may be easier/better to get a set off a wrecked higher spec exceed. I only have base spec Glx 4x4.
Shepv8

Re: Daytime running lights

Postby beej75 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:00 pm

Shepv8 wrote:Has anyone fitted a light bar or any other setup on a MQ triton for use as daytime running lights which turn off when your regular headlights are switched on?
We're there any dramas with tapping into the wiring or do you need an Ecu module , like when installing trailer wiring etc
It may be easier/better to get a set off a wrecked higher spec exceed. I only have base spec Glx 4x4.
The MQ GLS has these also, I believe.

When I was considering a BT50, there were heaps of aftermarket headlight manufacturers - mostly all Sth East Asia where these trucks are all made - that produced some awesome looking setups. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something like that in the absence of straight up replacements.
beej75

Postby aybe on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:22 pm

While not on a MQ I have aftermarket DRL's.They have three wires.One to earth,one to the Acc side of ign.which powers them on,one to parking light power which turns them off.Surely a light bar is too bright for DRL's?
aybe

Postby Shepv8 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:56 pm

Yeah I'm not sure how bright you can/should go for daytime lights. I don't want to go to the effort if they don't do a hell of a lot. I saw the factory one yesterday on a Glx and they looked really good but they were incorporated in the headlights so until they start showing up at the wreckers it's probably not the cheapest option.
My main concern is tapping into the factory wiring. I don't want to upset anything on the canbus circuit and I'm sure this causes issues if you hook up trailer lights the old Way ie tapping into the existing circuits. Something about the computer system being hyper sensitive to changes in electrical load and frazzling out
Shepv8

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:17 am

DRLs are defined by both their beam pattern, translated as the angles within which they should be visible, and the intensity of the light emitted. Certainly any light bar or flood light will be way too bright, and therefore non-compliant.

Unless using factory products, quality items from known brands (Philips, Narva etc.) can be relied on to comply with the legislation. Most of what is promoted on Ebay and the like does not conform.

There remains a great deal of misunderstanding out there as to what a CANBUS actually is. It's simple, really. It's just a local network between all the various computers (ECUs) in your car. It's a single cable that connects these all together, just like a network cable, and allows them to talk to each other, having multiple digital conversations over the same wire at the same time.

Headlights are monitored by one or another computer, usually the BCM, but are not actually connected into the CANBUS. Incorrect connections can certainly cause problems and one does need to understand a little more about how the circuits work than in the past where trailer connections were just scotch-locked on to the various existing wires. That said, with the right knowledge it's not that difficult.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Shepv8 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Is there a schematic available anywhere for the MQ triton.
Shepv8

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:10 am

Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Hopeithurt on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:24 pm

All you need to know is in here https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2016C00818 http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2009C00579 just make sure they are the current versions. Also check for any state regulations.
Basically the surface area has to be more than 25 but less than 200cm2, white in colour and I think it's 10 watts max, but the adr will be in candela.

Hope this helps
Hopeithurt

Return to Electrical