MAF Sensor Clean - still needed with EGR Resister Mod?

MAF Sensor Clean - still needed with EGR Resister Mod?

Postby Bammo on Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on ditching my blanking plate for the EGR resistor mod (as recommended by my dealer!). At the same time I was going to give the MAF sensor a clean using the CRC MAF cleaning spray. If the EGR mod is done, does the MAF sensor still need to be cleaned? In other words, if the resistor is installed does it matter anymore if the sensor is clogged? Obviously if the EGR is turned back on it will matter...
Bammo

Re: MAF Sensor Clean - still needed with EGR Resister Mod?

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Bammo, the MAF sensor is on the outlet from the airbox and measures the amount of air entering the engine.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the EGR system and keeping it clean is essential to smooth running, petrol or diesel.

Perhaps you are confusing the MAF with the intake air temperature sensor which is contained in the same module. This is used by the ECU to determine whether to open the EGR, which it won't do below a certain ambient temperature. This is the basic premise on which the resistor type mods work.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Bammo on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks mate - I figured there was something I was missing. So just to be 100% clear - the MAF sensor and the intake air temperature sensor are both contained in the same module at the airbox. Therefore the correct wires to insert the resistors in are the B-L and Y-L wires from that sensor. I'll do the series replacement approach with a switch bypass to engage the EGR for servicing etc.
Bammo

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:41 am

Only one resistor is necessary, although there are some alternative methods outlined elsewhere.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Bammo on Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:08 pm

Yep understood. I'm going to do the single resistor mod with a bypass switch in the cabin.
Bammo

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:35 pm

I wouldn't worry about the switch, only introduces unnecessary complication and possible failure point.

If you want to be able to bypass the resistor just wire a water resistant mini blade fuse holder in parallel with the resistor on the loom. When you want to disable it, just plug a fuse in.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Not exactly stealth, RHK.

The whole idea is to have the EGR defeat that can't be picked up during dealer servicing. A hidden or unmarked switch is much easier and less likely to be noticed.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Bammo on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:35 pm

It was the dealer who recommended it to me by the way - the actual service manager at Mitsubishi's largest WA dealership!
Bammo

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:36 am

I'm sure no one is going to trace out a fuse holder taped to the bundle, say near the abs unit.
Most 4x4s have at least some extraneous bits of electrickery happening under the hood. :lol:

wrt 'dealer recommending it...' - probably saves them a lot of time on less productive jobs.

The dealers want high volume easy work, ie drain 90% engine oil, stick new filters in 'sometimes' , slap the rear bumper and send that puppy back out to the customer carpark with invoice attached. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Electrical