Help identifying aftermarket accessories

Help identifying aftermarket accessories

Postby Jonty on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:06 pm

So I've had my MN Triton for a year now and it came with a couple of electrical accessories from the previous owner, which I didn't really ask about at the time. Just trying to identify what they are as I'm not sure how they work or apply to my setup.

1st one is what looks to be a Redarc battery isolator off the main battery, which you can hear clicking after you switch the car off and the red light stays lit. Only thing I don't understand is why the car needs this as it's only got a single battery??

2nd one is a 12v/24v twin socket which sits in the back of the ute. Similar to this one, but without the USB port:
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Narva-12-24V-Twin-Accessory-USB-Socket-Heavy-Duty-Acc-Dual-USB-Sockets-Surface-Mount/346721?menuFrom=1021628

I tried to plug in a 12v air pump into this recently and couldn't get it to work. Tried with acc/ign on, but made no difference. There's also a switch under the radio next to the rear window switch which I thought might relate to this 12v socket, but doesn't seem to matter if the switch is on, or off, it doesn't work! If I plug the air pump into the cigarette lighter in the cabin, it works fine.
2013 MN GLX-R
Jonty

Re: Help identifying aftermarket accessories

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:46 pm

The twin socket in the tub will probably have direct wiring to your main battery. You need to check if there is wiring from the plug and trace it it should also have a fuse at the battery- just have to look
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Adam_1008 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Jonty wrote:So I've had my MN Triton for a year now and it came with a couple of electrical accessories from the previous owner, which I didn't really ask about at the time. Just trying to identify what they are as I'm not sure how they work or apply to my setup.

1st one is what looks to be a Redarc battery isolator off the main battery, which you can hear clicking after you switch the car off and the red light stays lit. Only thing I don't understand is why the car needs this as it's only got a single battery??

2nd one is a 12v/24v twin socket which sits in the back of the ute. Similar to this one, but without the USB port:
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Narva-12-24V-Twin-Accessory-USB-Socket-Heavy-Duty-Acc-Dual-USB-Sockets-Surface-Mount/346721?menuFrom=1021628

I tried to plug in a 12v air pump into this recently and couldn't get it to work. Tried with acc/ign on, but made no difference. There's also a switch under the radio next to the rear window switch which I thought might relate to this 12v socket, but doesn't seem to matter if the switch is on, or off, it doesn't work! If I plug the air pump into the cigarette lighter in the cabin, it works fine.

I assume you have an Anderson plug at the back? I dare say the previous owner used when towing a camper or some form of trailer that had a battery in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam_1008

Postby Jonty on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:55 pm

4wd26 wrote:The twin socket in the tub will probably have direct wiring to your main battery. You need to check if there is wiring from the plug and trace it it should also have a fuse at the battery- just have to look

OK cheers. Will check it out. So maybe the fuse has gone which is why it's not powering up...
2013 MN GLX-R
Jonty

Postby Jonty on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Adam_1008 wrote:I assume you have an Anderson plug at the back? I dare say the previous owner used when towing a camper or some form of trailer that had a battery in it

Ahh yep. That would be it then. Thanks for that :)

So I assume there's no harm leaving the Redarc all hooked up even though it's never isolating batteries or anything.

Still have to figure out what this other switch is near the cigarette lighter. There's also a trailer brake controller dial on the same switch panel, maybe it activates that...
2013 MN GLX-R
Jonty

Postby ag9111 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:15 pm

See if the outlet works when the vehicle is running. It might be hooked up to the redarc and turns off with the dropping battery volts.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Adam_1008 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Jonty wrote:
Adam_1008 wrote:I assume you have an Anderson plug at the back? I dare say the previous owner used when towing a camper or some form of trailer that had a battery in it

Ahh yep. That would be it then. Thanks for that :)

So I assume there's no harm leaving the Redarc all hooked up even though it's never isolating batteries or anything.

Still have to figure out what this other switch is near the cigarette lighter. There's also a trailer brake controller dial on the same switch panel, maybe it activates that...

Nah mate shouldn’t harm anything leaving it wired up. The only thing you’ll find is that the Anderson plug will have voltage on it.
If there’s a brake control dial on there then they’ve definitely towed a trailer with electric brakes.
I’ll take the brake controller and isolated off your hands if you don’t need it. Lol. Just about to buy one for my Ute for my camper trailer I just bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam_1008

Postby Jonty on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:00 am

Adam_1008 wrote:Nah mate shouldn’t harm anything leaving it wired up. The only thing you’ll find is that the Anderson plug will have voltage on it.
If there’s a brake control dial on there then they’ve definitely towed a trailer with electric brakes.
I’ll take the brake controller and isolated off your hands if you don’t need it. Lol. Just about to buy one for my Ute for my camper trailer I just bought.

All good then. Nice to know what it's all for and how it works. Cheers :)

I'll hang onto it all for now as am considering buying a boat in next 12 months, so it may come in handy for towing ;)
2013 MN GLX-R
Jonty

Postby Jonty on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:21 am

ag9111 wrote:See if the outlet works when the vehicle is running. It might be hooked up to the redarc and turns off with the dropping battery volts.

OK will check it out thanks. Maybe that's it.

Here's the switch on the left hand side with the green light that I'm still not sure of. I just switched it on to take this pic with the key switched to ACC and you can hear something clicking under the bonnet as you flick the switch. Flux capacitor maybe?? :lol:

Click to view larger picture
2013 MN GLX-R
Jonty

Postby dieselweasel on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:52 pm

You'll know if it is the flux capacitor if you hit a smidge over 140k! Dont forget double demerits though
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby kitemanwest aussie on Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:04 pm

Override switch for the redarc isolator?
kitemanwest aussie

Return to Electrical