LED headlight bulb fitment with snorkel

LED headlight bulb fitment with snorkel

Postby macr237 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:10 am

My low beams just blew and I have been considering putting in LEDs. This appeared to be a no-brainer until I had a snorkel fitted recently. Now I am wondering, can I even fit a decent set of LED bulbs in?
My snorkel is an ARB Sahara and it looks like it comes very close to the rubber boot on the drivers side headlight. I am yet to work out how I am going to get the old bulbs out (i.e. do I need to remove the whole snorkel from the car?).

Has anyone achieved this? If so, what globes?
macr237

Re: LED headlight bulb fitment with snorkel

Postby dieselweasel on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:03 am

Hi dude, pop the headlight out to change bulbs on th snorkel side, it seems harder but trust me, its the easier way when you have hands the size of dinner plates
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:42 am

OP, you are right, putting LED bulbs in a reflector designed for halogen is a no brain exercise.

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21369&p=548308&hilit=glare#p548308

Hopefully the snorkel will prevent them from fitting and save every other driver on the road from being blinded by your lights.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby macr237 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:21 pm

dieselweasel wrote:Hi dude, pop the headlight out to change bulbs on th snorkel side, it seems harder but trust me, its the easier way when you have hands the size of dinner plates

I will look into how to remove the headlight. Thanks for the tip.
macr237

Postby dieselweasel on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:19 pm

From memory, its 3 screws, the lower one you reach up to from under the wheel arch. I'm sure i can do it blind with just enough undone on the plastic arch to reach an arm up there amongst the cobwebs.
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby macr237 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:15 am

dieselweasel wrote:From memory, its 3 screws, the lower one you reach up to from under the wheel arch. I'm sure i can do it blind with just enough undone on the plastic arch to reach an arm up there amongst the cobwebs.

Actually, 2 bolts, 1 nut and a screw. Took me a bit to work out the screw, as I had removed the bracket that it was screwed down to. Once I realised that, I then removed the screw and refitted the bracket. I also required to pop the grille. Fortunately I don't have the front plastic of the wheel arch as my ARB bullbar sort or precluded it.
Thanks for the advice dieselweasel. I now have low beams again.
macr237

Return to Electrical