Reverse lights

Reverse lights

Postby kwyjibo on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:49 pm

hey guys does anyone know of a way to increase light output of the little reverse lights?
i've already tried putting in all different LED types (left over from interior light/door conversion) but none seem to be as good...
i know i could get the reverse spots on ebay for the bumper but im about to get a custom rear step bar.
maybe there is a way to convert the wedge plug to halogen or something... if they dont melt the housing that is
or just buy some little rectangular work lights and mount them to the new bar...
just thought id ask maybe somebody can help :)
kwyjibo

Re: Reverse lights

Postby jop on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:57 pm

Mate, 4wd26 has just mounted a Hella LED work light to his arb rear bar, with a switch inside his tub to change it from reverse light/on/off. Well it will work once i wire it up :oops:

http://db.hella.com.au/cgi-bin/catalogu ... maint=2872

Narva make a better (brighter) work light but they are around the $300 mark
jop

Postby Homer on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:58 pm

Oh to have a tame electrician... :lol:
Last edited by Homer on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby jop on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:59 pm

What are the details on this rear bar you speak of :?:
jop

Postby snowman on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:17 pm

details boys......please ;)

i have the ARB rear step on a GLX-R and it leaves some terrible holes exposed. definately looking for a solution to the holes and maybe some extra lighting to the rear.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tassietriton on Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:00 pm

I've got the TJM chrome bar and have the same issue with the holes.
I've covered them up with some rectangular red reflectors but would prefer some slimline white LEDs to hook up to the reverse lights.
Interested to know if anyone knows of any LEDs that might suit.
tassietriton

Postby Stu on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:00 pm

if you have a glx or a rear step bar. You can mount some cheap 55w lights on the bottom edge of the tub, bill65 has done this and I also have the exact same lights from supercrap, $30 worth which I'll get around to wiring up one day. pm bill for a pic
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby Eelesy on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:30 pm

I have this set up. 55w from super cheap in the standard glxr step. i cut them in and silastic'd around em.

They are hooked up to my reverse switch via a relay i mounted in the chassis near the rear so they come on (all four of them now) when i reverse.

But when i wired them to the battery i ran two wires to the back and re-routed one to the dash, then to the rear to override the reverse triggered relay. so they become camping/work lights also.
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Greedy on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:40 am

I have a set of these purchased from Ebay. Fit perfectly and work a treat. Now I want to add a switch to the dash to allow me to turn them on whenever. Can I do this just by running a positive line through the switch then back to the positive switch side of the relay (pin 86)? This pin currently has power only when reverse is selected (with ignition on obviously). I don't know how the reverse circuit is set up. Will powering the reverse circuit without reverse selected cause any issues? I would've thought the OME reverse lights would go on as well. :?:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:57 pm

I decided to test the simple method above. That produced some extra results from what I was thinking. Dash board lights and all sorts lit up. :shock: Not exactly the solution I was looking for. :x My next thought is to have the power wire from the switch to a relay that delivers power directly to the lights. This would then bypass the existing relay and not load up the reverse circuit. Help please. The black art of electrickery is doing my head in. :oops:

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rawlos on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:02 pm

You are on the right track all you need to do is put two diods in to stop the power from your switch going bacg down to the factory reverse lights .get two diods put them with the siler band to the switch end of your inputs <dash switch and reverse light wire >then join other ends togo on to the relay should work a treat.
rawlos

Postby Greedy on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:10 pm

rawlos wrote:You are on the right track all you need to do is put two diods in to stop the power from your switch going bacg down to the factory reverse lights .get two diods put them with the siler band to the switch end of your inputs <dash switch and reverse light wire >then join other ends togo on to the relay should work a treat.

Cheers for that. A quick google now shows me what they do. :oops: Looks like they're exactly what I'm after. Username = Rawlos: nothing to do with Rawlings Electrical in Adelaide by chance?

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rawlos on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:42 pm

No i am in perth but would like to over east some days : :
rawlos

Postby Eelesy on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:54 pm

i might have to look into these diodes.

I had the same problem as you greedy. i ran 2 power wires down the chassis.

one straight there hooked into a relay operated by the reverse wire, and the second via a dash switch then connected on the other side of the relay. but when i hit the switch its like power was goin back in and turning lights on.

i fiddled around till i got it working ok tho.

but even if i dont have the keys in the ignition, and i select reverse and turn the bypass switch on, all the dash lights come on?
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Greedy on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:36 am

Eelesy wrote:i might have to look into these diodes.

I had the same problem as you greedy. i ran 2 power wires down the chassis.

one straight there hooked into a relay operated by the reverse wire, and the second via a dash switch then connected on the other side of the relay. but when i hit the switch its like power was goin back in and turning lights on.

i fiddled around till i got it working ok tho.

but even if i dont have the keys in the ignition, and i select reverse and turn the bypass switch on, all the dash lights come on?

I was wondering how you overcame this problem. I'll buy some today and see if I can get it sorted. I'll post a pic when done.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:44 pm

I went down to Jaycar today and outlaid the princely sum of 50 cents for 2 3amp diodes. The spotty fella (I think) behind the counter had very little clue about them including which way current would run through them. :roll: At least he could find them. So I followed the info from rawlos with the silver band at the switch end of the diode but nothing worked. Re-soldered it the other way around and hey presto, we have light. It then started to piss down so I had to cover up my handy work as fast as I could and put the car back together again. No pics unfortunately.
Lesson leant: The silver band goes toward the relay; not the switch. :oops:

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rawlos on Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:10 pm

Sorry some times i dont think before i type but it looks like you had a win
rawlos

Postby Greedy on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:14 am

rawlos wrote:Sorry some times i dont think before i type but it looks like you had a win

No problems mate. At least you put me on the right track. And as you said, I've had a win. 8-)

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MR T on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:15 pm

yea i did, it wasnt easy but it wasnt tooo hard either and i put them i side ways by accident so the spread goes up into the trees :lol: ill get to changing it one day! but if you interested your welcome to have a look oh and they are very bright
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby MR T on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:33 pm

at the back of the rear bar around the round part that gets cut away there is three jutty out holes that i used to screw into and the brackets only just misses and they also pushed the lights back to far away from the bar so i took them off and got some scrap steel about 100x100mm and then cut a circle out of the middle

hope that helps?????
sorry i didnt take any pics
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby rick on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:36 am

its easier to make the hand brake get out and stand there with a torch :lol:
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Postby Adz on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:46 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Postby tritondan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:13 pm

hey all

i have PM TRIGXL for a reverse light kit but there has been no response.

what is being used for a reverse light kit to go into the black plastic bits. i know you can buy all the bits seperate but i wou8ld prefer a kits - im a simple person

Thanks for any help.

PS i did find a narva kit 71840 80mm but it said oval - i guess just would have to be carefull about how much black round bit is cut away
its a brand new day - its a brand new life
tritondan

Postby Greedy on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:18 pm

tritondan wrote:what is being used for a reverse light kit to go into the black plastic bits. i know you can buy all the bits seperate but i wou8ld prefer a kits - im a simple person

Here's some off Ebay. I got a similar kit and is very simple to install.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritondan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi Greedy thanks for the info - but if you meant to put a link there - it didnt show up
its a brand new day - its a brand new life
tritondan

Next

Return to Electrical