Which UHF To Get?

Re: Which UHF To Get?

Postby Racer on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:07 pm

Greedy wrote:Now about antennas. 6db seems to be the usual and, as I understand it, is good for all areas except mountains. Lucky there ain't many of them in SA. :lol: Looking on the Prestige site, most of their bundles come with a choice of antenna. One is coax connected whilst the other is RG58 cable. I am assuming the latter is better quality (signal) given it's dearer. Am I on the right track?

COax is RG58 cable....

The best for you would be the RFI CD900. That antenna is the best all round...I have been to Adelaide and its reasonably flat..if you want to drive around with a broomstick on your bull bar get one of the 5db jobs....

Majority work well but the RFI excels others...
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby Greedy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:14 pm

Racer wrote:COax is RG58 cable....

The best for you would be the RFI CD900. That antenna is the best all round...I have been to Adelaide and its reasonably flat..if you want to drive around with a broomstick on your bull bar get one of the 5db jobs....

Majority work well but the RFI excels others...

It's all starting to become clear. I have now decided not to go the bundle (radio and antenna) route but buy them separately. I will get the RFI DB900 antenna and I'm now just tossing up between the IC-440 and TX3440. Leaning towards the IC-440 due to the speaker in the handset. Now just have to wait for Tars to loosen the purse strings. ;) That ain't a common event. :( :lol:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:39 pm

Greedy wrote: Just got lucky with the wife (that don't read so well :o )

Yep watch out for Jop :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby boycee on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Check out the uniden uh400sx they have the speaker and mic in the handset too. they are a cheaper unit but still do the job. being cheaper it might be easier to get past the boss. :lol:
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:43 pm

boycee wrote:Check out the uniden uh400sx they have the speaker and mic in the handset too. they are a cheaper unit but still do the job. being cheaper it might be easier to get past the boss. :lol:

I had that on my list but somewhere in her internet travels, she found someone prepared to give negative feedback on Uniden therefore she crossed it off my list. A UHF will get purchased, just a matter of timing as to when it happens. Something about credit card cycles. :roll:

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boycee on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm

fair enough. goodluck with that one. :lol:
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:05 am

Alright!!! Received the OK to purchase. The antenna will be mounted on an ARB bullbar using the existing mounting points on the top rail. Am I going to need to buy any other items to complete the install or do they come complete?

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boycee on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:26 am

should all come complete. having said that you will need to get some wire to run the power. I have a fused wire set designed for uhf radios if you like complete with connections. 8-)
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:36 am

boycee wrote:having said that you will need to get some wire to run the power. I have a fused wire set designed for uhf radios if you like complete with connections. 8-)

Thanks for the offer but I have fuse blocks everywhere in this car (under the bonnet, in the cab and in the tub). :roll:

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby King Triton on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:38 am

You should get all the cables you need with the uhf. Mine came with the power cable that was at least a metre long with an inline fuse. When you order your antenae they usually come with cable but make sure.
The Benelc one i got was already pre crimped and conected. It had a fancy connector that goes on the back of the UHF unit and the large screw fitting unscrewd and all you had was a small fitting that was sligthly larger than the cable diameter which is easy to feed through the fire wall and then screw it togehter and on the unit.

Cable ties, Electrical tape, Soldering iron & solder if antenae is not pre connected, Silicone to seal where you put cable through rubber gromet in fire wall. (best spot for the this i found was the one just to the drivers side of the centre console nice and easy to pop out and get back it).

And some metal brakets and screws if mounting below the ash tray behind the console. best place if you get a UHF with a remote mic.
King Triton

Postby Greedy on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:19 pm

Thanks King. Looks like some brackets to mount the head unit will be all I'm up for.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boycee on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:24 pm

it should come with brackets too greedy. looks like its alot easier than you thought hey. :lol:
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:32 pm

boycee wrote:looks like its alot easier than you thought hey. :lol:

It's starting to look that way but I usually find something is missing that I think should be included hence the question. :lol:

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boycee on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:34 pm

fair enough. give me the shits when that happens. usually happens at around 4:55pm on sunday just as the shops around 6mins away are about to shut. :roll: anyway good luck with it. :D
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:45 pm

I know that feeling. All ordered now so hopefully get it by the end of the week

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny23 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:18 pm

donks1 wrote:Sounds like I've got the same as Sloppyjoe.....GME TX3440

Good unit. $380 from prestige communications, with aerial. Delivered free in 2 days from Perth to Sydney

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/

Donks1

I went with the 3420...

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php ... ducts_id=2

Great unit and I believe it can also take the head hand peace control unit also... Easy to install and I had a preference for a small head unit located in the cab...

Highly recommend GME... we run over 200 trucks plus sub contractors, most stay clear of Uniden and prefer GME or Motorola and a few other brands... I know little bout UHF but they reckon the build quality of the Unidens fails them after a few years of vibrations...

And shop around... mine cost $330...
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby Greedy on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:07 pm

Decided on the Icom 440. Looks to be a nice piece of gear. Couldn't agree more with what everybody has said about the service and prices from Prestige. Highly recommended. ;) Managed to get the install done today. 8-) Mounted the head unit under the centre console in front of the gearsticks. Even managed to get it switched from the accessories. Haven't decided where to mount the handset yet. Now I just have to learn how to use the bloody thing. :lol: Thanks for the feedback guys

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:34 pm

greedy i was surprised at how heavy and solid the microphone handset was......makes my old GME unit look pretty average. 8-)
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:30 am

I was thinking there or on the other side of the radio. I'm also considering mounting it on the passenger side of the centre console next to the gearsticks so it sits on the tranny tunnel.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:23 am

Tex wrote:Just food for thought :!:

It's all good. 8-)

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Adz on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:26 am

Greedy, Im not sure who it was but I read that someone had mounted a mic connector into the dash & just plugged the mic into that. At least that way, when you're not using it, you can just unplug it & pop it in the glovebox. I guess it still comes down to where you mount the connector but it might be an option?
You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Postby King Triton on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:27 am

Yeah i have done that i will post a pic.
i have not put the connector in the dash it just sits in the centre console.

**EDIT**

Here are the pics

My UHF (GME TX3440) is mounted behind the centre dash under the ash tray out of site.
GME just use RJ45 connectors for there hands sets (not sure on other brands) so i just used the extension lead that came with the unit and the extension socket which sits in the tray under the dash until need it. You could always get a surface mount RJ45 socket and fit in the dash if you wanted.

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture
King Triton

Postby CCM on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:08 am

I've got a programmable Midland Unit which works fantastic! Better than it should ;) But its possibly the ugliest UHF ever made!!!! Thats not true.. I've got an even older Midland unit that is even worse in my Vitara...! hehe

Trying to find a permanent mounting solution that doesn't make my MY09 Triton feel like a Troop Carrier once I've fitted mounted the UHF... Its full single din size but hugely deep once you take into account the 2 inch of heat sink hangin off teh back of it so making life hard to find somwhere it fits without runing the newish car look.... :(
I bought a new Turbo Diesel Ute to tow my two toys, now the Ute takes all my time n money! crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap
CCM

Postby Naff on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:29 pm

Ok I need ideas about where to mount an Icom IC-400PRO (yep, part of the work buy out) and it's a bigger unit than I thought... but I ain't going to complain since I got it for next to nothing.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MR T on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:58 pm

do the same as me and make a center consol\arm rest
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical